What are my chances with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousBastard01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCPM GPA = 4.0
AO GPA = 4.0
( note: these are based off of only 60 semester credits since I transferred some credits from my first bachelors degree from a foreign university to my second bachelors in the US , which I believe does not count very much except maybe during secondaries , my GPA for my first bachelors degree was 2.7 but simply shows up as "pass" on my American transcript. )
post-bacc GPA ( 35 credits) = 4.0

MCAT = 525
Research = 4 publications , 3 in the US, 2 awards.
Extra curricular activities = swimming (champ ) , track and field ( gold ) , chorale
volunteer = 100 hours +
shadowing = gen surg , IM both 100 hours +
Clinical work experience = Clinical Laboratory Scientist , 2 years full time , US Army

What are the schools that I can realistically apply to with only 95 credits in the US? I am not an international student. My undergrad school is unranked. Do I have a realistic chance of being accepted at Stanford , UCSF or UCSD?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a beautiful day outside. Perhaps you'd like to enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Better apply Caribbean.

I'm not sure if troll or serious.
completely serious. I have only studied 2 years in the USA for my undergrad however , and my foreign GPA is pathetic and I know during secondaries it can be an issue. That is why I am concerned. If I had these stats and have all my coursework in the USA from the start, I would not be too worried.

plus I am kinda obsessed about Stanford and UCSF , so I'm concerned that 2 years in the USA for undergrad in an unknown school in Washington State will leave the door closed for me. Anyway, maybe I am too paranoid.

I personally think you stand a good chance at those top schools (even with so few credits). Most schools require 90 credits before you apply (plz someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I think in that respect you are fine.

One thing I would address though is your confidence. You need to believe in yourself. You also need to not obsess and set your heart on 1 or 2 schools out of the 130+ in the US. I know those are great and amazing programs, but they are reaches for everyone. The process is long and stressful and I would hate to see you crushed and miserable because you don't end up at UCSF or Stanford. Absolutely apply and write the most amazing essays of your life, but don't try to obsess about schools. Find a few things from every school you apply to that you really like, that way no matter how your cycle ends up you remain happy with your options. Good luck!

I personally think you stand a good chance at those top schools (even with so few credits). Most schools require 90 credits before you apply (plz someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I think in that respect you are fine.

One thing I would address though is your confidence. You need to believe in yourself. You also need to not obsess and set your heart on 1 or 2 schools out of the 130+ in the US. I know those are great and amazing programs, but they are reaches for everyone. The process is long and stressful and I would hate to see you crushed and miserable because you don't end up at UCSF or Stanford. Absolutely apply and write the most amazing essays of your life, but don't try to obsess about schools. Find a few things from every school you apply to that you really like, that way no matter how your cycle ends up you remain happy with your options. Good luck!

Thank you! And perhaps the word "obsessed" was not the right word to use. Yes I do highly prefer those 2 schools as they are in the Bay Area , and they are absolutely elite. But I am perfectly fine with others.

Thank you! And perhaps the word "obsessed" was not the right word to use. Yes I do highly prefer those 2 schools as they are in the Bay Area , and they are absolutely elite. But I am perfectly fine with others.
okay, awesome :) I only based my assessment off of the few sentences you posted here, from that it was bordering obsessive :p Have you already applied or are you waiting to apply? Either way, good luck to you!!

BCPM GPA = 4.0
AO GPA = 4.0
( note: these are based off of only 60 semester credits since I transferred some credits from my first bachelors degree from a foreign university to my second bachelors in the US , which I believe does not count very much except maybe during secondaries , my GPA for my first bachelors degree was 2.7 but simply shows up as "pass" on my American transcript. )

MCAT = 525
Extra curricular activities = swimming (champ ) , track and field ( gold ) , chorale
volunteer = 100 hours +
Clinical work experience = Clinical Laboratory Scientist , 2 years full time , US Army

What are the schools that I can realistically apply to with only 95 credits in the US? I am not an international student. My undergrad school is unranked. Do I have a realistic chance of being accepted at Stanford , UCSF or UCSD?
Ok, since you're probably not a troll, I don't think you need to report non-US grades. Your GPA and MCAT are top tier, you have something of a 95% chance to get in, and closer to 100% if you add some safety schools and interview well.

I know I can come off that way, but the guy behind the keyboard is actually pretty laid back , just very very very meticulous and detail oriented. I will send my apps through AMCAS next month.

I know I can come off that way, but the guy behind the keyboard is actually pretty laid back , just very very very meticulous and detail oriented. I will send my apps through AMCAS next month.
It was more or less the fact that if you are what you described, you would be one of the best candidates I have ever seen.

You're golden; aim high.

BCPM GPA = 4.0
AO GPA = 4.0

MCAT = 525
volunteer = 100 hours +

Thank you guys, this is all very comforting. I know this post seems ridiculous and paranoid. My only concern at the end of the day was my un-ranked and rather unknown university ( competing wtih Ivy Leaguers ) , my previous horrible undergrad performance ( first bachelors over seas ) and my number of US credits just barely breaking the minimum.