MD & DO What are my chances, what to improve first? Low gpa and mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

networkdoctorstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Year in school: Graduated

Major in Kinesiology – Exercise Science

Minor: Biology

Country/state of residence: Texas

Cumulative GPA: 3.51 cum laude (TMDSAS); 3.46 (AMCAS) - upwards trend

Science GPA: 3.01

MCAT Scores: 501 (Chem/Phys 126; CARS 123; Bio 128; Psych/Soc 124) - in 2016, taking another in May 2017

Jobs: Clinical Research Coordinator (Training/Just started); Pharm Tech @ CVS ~3.5 years, EZ Optical store assistant ~3.5 years

Volunteering: 10-day Medical Brigade trip in Guatemala, setting up and working in clinic; 200 hours shadowing physicians, Community Youth Coordinator Committee member; handing out sandwiches to homeless once a month; Summer intern for one year at psychiatrists’ office, hosted with class two blood drives in 2011

** I am pretty confident I can get a higher MCAT score, as I felt like I choked, and was also sick when I took my first MCAT.

I know I'm not in a good spot, I'm looking for ways to improve and constructive criticism. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought about doing TCOM's SMP? It's unlikely you'll pull your sGPA up a ton but you can at least show you can handle a med school curriculum. They have you take an MCAT course before retaking the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a lot of work ahead of you. You would need probably a year of post bacc to raise that sGPA to 3.3 or 3.4. Also you will need probably ~3-4 months of MCAT studying to ensure a 508+ score. And you could pick up some more ECs.