What are my chances to match to hem/onc fellowship this year cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Art Nostrand

Reaction score
Hello community

I want to get your thoughts on my chances to match into hem/onc fellowship position. First I am an IMG I applied once before but didn't match . My biggest red flag is I am out of residency for 4 years now, other red ( or yellow) flags including scores in the 240s, mediocre residency program and no much awards. After residency yeI worked as an oncology hospitalist and to boost my chances I just finished one year non ACGME accredited fellowship in solid oncology at renowned institution. I increased my research work and in the ERAS application I have around 14 peer reviewed articles/abstracts ( probably 4 as primary author) with other posters, oral presentations It reaches 30+ ( though some work is repetitive ). I got a letter from FASCO member and a world leading expert in his field who I worked with in the last year. Is it worth applying it for me? and what I can do more to increase my chances to match?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How many programs you have previously applied to? How many interviews? Was it last cycle you didn't match?
If you have the financial wherewithal and not limited geographically, i suggest casting a wider net, probably applying to as many programs you can afford. To me, your decision to do fellowship after 4 years work life and doing non ACGME fellowship while being productive suggest extreme dedicated to the field. Thus, i would go all in. Your publication stat is great and other credentials are not different from other successful fellowship applicants. But sometimes this match process is rigged and doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for you feedback and suggestions.

I forgot how many program I applied for but I got around 7 interviews and yes was last cycles, but my CV has been updated and good amount of work added . I will apply more this year for sure, one thing I didn't focus on was applying to university programs as I was anticipating that they wont take me, however I found out that getting interviews at university programs is better since more position available rather than community programs where sometimes two or even one position only available.

Chances seem fair. Apply widely as an IMG, look at current fellows at the program. If most are AMGs and barely any IMGs, i wouldnt waste your app there.

Reactions: 1 user