What are my chances to DO/MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NextJamesAndrews12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was wondering if the volunteering not being in a medical setting would hurt my chances?
Yes, you have to show the ADCOM, that you know what you're getting into/ can deal the rest of your life time around sick people.
Do you have at least any shadowing experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
This guy was a medical scribe...that fits the bill...which department? ED? Like did you follow docs around and basically shadow + chart?

Jk I can't read. You easily fit the bill for clinical experience. I shadowed + scribing but didn't really mention shadowing on my application because 1, I had enough other things I wanted to include other than shadowing, plus if you scribe for 800+ hours, chances are the other 100 hours shadowing won't really mean much.

Jk I can't read. You easily fit the bill for clinical experience. I shadowed + scribing but didn't really mention shadowing on my application because 1, I had enough other things I wanted to include other than shadowing, plus if you scribe for 800+ hours, chances are the other 100 hours shadowing won't really mean much.
Yeah I mean I scrubbed in on surgeries, so I talked about those shadowing experiences on my app, but scribing definitely has given me tons of experience in the medical field so I didn't think any shadowing past that was necessary.

yeah haha after working in the ED as a scribe I saw crazier things than shadowing a PCP and cardiology so I didn't feel the need to write about the latter.

So I'm well aware I don't stand in a very competitive spot at the moment: sGPA: 2.8 cGPA: 3.35 MCAT (2015): 502 (about the same percentile as a 27), my first two years weren't good in terms of chem courses, but I have a strong upward trend 3.5 every semester since; decent ECs and shadowing + great letters of rec and personal essay; I would be very happy with either MD or DO; I apply as a Nebraska resident so in state benefits at UNMC. With all that being said, what are my chances?

Your sGPA might screen you out automatically for some schools. I know Campbell, and VCOM do screen. LECOM I believe does so also. Some schools don't (look at individual threads to find that out). If you can afford to take the year off, I would STRONGLY suggest doing so. Your upward trend is definitely encouraging, but you need to bump up that sGPA. Maybe taking grade replacement classes? Which courses did you not perform well in?

So I'm well aware I don't stand in a very competitive spot at the moment: sGPA: 2.8 cGPA: 3.35 MCAT (2015): 502 (about the same percentile as a 27), my first two years weren't good in terms of chem courses, but I have a strong upward trend 3.5 every semester since; decent ECs and shadowing + great letters of rec and personal essay; I would be very happy with either MD or DO; I apply as a Nebraska resident so in state benefits at UNMC. With all that being said, what are my chances?

Your sGPA might screen you out automatically for some schools. I know Campbell, and VCOM do screen. LECOM I believe does so also. Some schools don't (look at individual threads to find that out). If you can afford to take the year off, I would STRONGLY suggest doing so. Your upward trend is definitely encouraging, but you need to bump up that sGPA. Maybe taking grade replacement classes? Which courses did you not perform well in?

My gen chems and orgo courses are what tanked me, but I did well in biochem (B+). I know that doesn't "make up" for the poor grades early on but I truly do feel I am ready to take on the courses in med school. I know waiting will definitely not hurt, but it's hard to not feel anxious about wanting to just start. I was hoping there was some low tier school I could at least get an interview in, but I realize setting my standards extremely low won't be the best thing in the long run. I've already sent out a few secondaries though and my parents are really pushing for me to continue with the application process, will that be detrimental to my application if I choose to apply again some other time?

My gen chems and orgo courses are what tanked me, but I did well in biochem (B+). I know that doesn't "make up" for the poor grades early on but I truly do feel I am ready to take on the courses in med school. I know waiting will definitely not hurt, but it's hard to not feel anxious about wanting to just start. I was hoping there was some low tier school I could at least get an interview in, but I realize setting my standards extremely low won't be the best thing in the long run. I've already sent out a few secondaries though and my parents are really pushing for me to continue with the application process, will that be detrimental to my application if I choose to apply again some other time?

in my opinion, if you get no buzz this cycle, you NEED to make changes for the next cycle. You applied early which is good, and if you get interviews, use that as an opportunity to explain yourself. But like iI said, if you don't hear back, make large changes to your application (i.e, take courses for replacement, keep volunteering ect). If you make those improvements it'll show 1, you're dedicated to this profession, 2, assuming you did better, those first grades were "flukes" so your application will be much stronger!

in my opinion, if you get no buzz this cycle, you NEED to make changes for the next cycle. You applied early which is good, and if you get interviews, use that as an opportunity to explain yourself. But like iI said, if you don't hear back, make large changes to your application (i.e, take courses for replacement, keep volunteering ect). If you make those improvements it'll show 1, you're dedicated to this profession, 2, assuming you did better, those first grades were "flukes" so your application will be much stronger!
Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! First-time applicant and was wondering how everyone felt about my chances.
GPA 3.66 cumulative and 3.5 science with a dramatic upward trend (4.0 last 6 consecutive semesters) with a 27 MCAT (9PS 8V 10BS).
Played four years of college athletics (captain of the team for 2 years) and worked close to 800 hours (and counting) as a medical scribe upon graduating. What worries me is I did not have very much volunteering experience due to working full-time for a lawn service over the summers in between school years to help pay for housing expenses (over 7000 hours). I have volunteered as a freshman basketball coach at my previous high school for over 300 hours and volunteered at a soup kitchen for around 40 hours. I have applied to 8 DO schools and 6 MD schools. I am already verified for MD and DO and have received my first secondary for DO schools. Was wondering if the volunteering not being in a medical setting would hurt my chances?

Okay so, I applied to about 10 DO schools, and I got 3 interview invites and I had 7 rejections. I had fairly similar stats and had sorta similar ECs as you.
You only applied to 8 DO schools, you might wanna submit your primary to additional schools just in case. I think you should be solid for DO but a reach for MD. MD appears impossible with these stats.

Okay so, I applied to about 10 DO schools, and I got 3 interview invites and I had 7 rejections. I had fairly similar stats and had sorta similar ECs as you.
You only applied to 8 DO schools, you might wanna submit your primary to additional schools just in case. I think you should be solid for DO but a reach for MD. MD appears impossible with these stats.
7 of 8 interviews at the DO schools...only attended 1 at msucom and was accepted in early august...3 md interviews with 1 acceptance and 2 waitlists...nothings impossible...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile