DO What are my chances? Stats as below

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PP4KQ

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for DO?? Seek advice for improving chance.
Academic:
cGPA: 3.64 sGPA: 3.25
(4.0 both GPA before transfer from community college to university, bad start in university but has upward trend towards end)
MCAT: first time 496 and second time 505

Resident: will be TX resident by the time of application
Extracurricular:
Clinical Volunteer
: 200 hours of hospital volunteering (ER and patient transport)
Clinical paid: ER scribe ~ 1000 hours (current gap year activity)
200 hours Clinic front desk assistant: take vitals and office work (HemOnc doctor shadowed with)
Shadowing: various specialty (one DO 24 hours, PA, primary care, pediatrics, HemOnc, Radiologist Neurologist): 138 hours
Employment: 500 hours of tutoring ;
Other various nonclinical employment: 1000 hours
Research: 1 year of research (one presentation only, no publication)
1.5 clinical research (500 hours)
Leadership: Event planner/financial officer for Refugee student organization at school-1.5 year
LORs: 2 from science prof, 1 from non science who is also doctor I shadowed,, one DO letter, one letter from clinical research employment
Bit background about me:
Seek for asylum to america 5 years ago with my younger brother, no other relative. I don't know whether this count as URM?

Several questions:
1. since I am scribing now, how many hours should I count as shadowing experience for ER doctors?
2. Lack of non volunteer experience, what to do, what can be good activities I am thinking of crisis hotline, and volunteering in hospice from now on?
3. Some experience qualify for 2 category on application, how to classify them?
4. Should I retake some class at community college to raise sGPA? not considering Post bacc due to financial issue.
5. What should I do to improve my chances?

Appreciate the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely get some non clinical volunteer work asap. Crisis hotline, hospice sound good. There are other great opportunities such as tutoring underprivileged youth, running activities at the YMCA, America-corps, Ronald McDonald House, camps for people with disabilities or chronic illness, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, etc. Just make it something you are passionate about were you are working with people.
I think you have plenty of shadowing hours and can keep the scribing hours as clinical if you want to.
Keep in mind how you want to show yourself as a leader, if you think you can do that will your current activities great, if not think about some other activities you could add. Tutoring could count, as an example.
I think if you have the money retaking lower than a C science courses or taking upper division level classes you haven't taken to get that sGPA up sounds like a great plan. Just make sure you do well in them!
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely get some non clinical volunteer work asap. Crisis hotline, hospice sound good. There are other great opportunities such as tutoring underprivileged youth, running activities at the YMCA, America-corps, Ronald McDonald House, camps for people with disabilities or chronic illness, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, etc. Just make it something you are passionate about were you are working with people.
I think you have plenty of shadowing hours and can keep the scribing hours as clinical if you want to.
Keep in mind how you want to show yourself as a leader, if you think you can do that will your current activities great, if not think about some other activities you could add. Tutoring could count, as an example.
I think if you have the money retaking lower than a C science courses or taking upper division level classes you haven't taken to get that sGPA up sounds like a great plan. Just make sure you do well in them!
Good luck!
Thank you so much for your feedback! Will work on myself from these point.

MD chances are vanishingly small with that sGPA and MCAT. You have a shot at DO.
Yes, I think DO is s right choice for me based on my stats and experience, will keep on increasing my chance. Thanks for replying!

You are competitive for the majority of DO schools. Apply to at least 10 schools and include TCOM and UIWSOM.Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Thanks for replying!! Appreciate that, really boost my confidence! @Goro and @Faha

Nice MCAT improvement. If I can ask, why did you not do as well the first time vs the second time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.