What are my chances? Should I try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GracRoberts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been debating about this topic in my head for a long time. I should I should seek advice/other opinions.

I did 2 years of college in Montreal, Canada. Then I did 3 years of undergard in physiology, in Montreal. I am now in the U.K finishing my first year of pharmacy.

I know that Mcgill, U of T, Western and Queens require to finish the second degree before applying to medicine.

In other universities, they do not take a lot of students from out of province.

University of British Columbia does not require me to finish my second degree, and it requires MCAT. Basically, UBC is the only uni I can apply too that requires MCAT.

The truth is I do not want to finish my second degree and then go to medical school because I will be 29 year old ( pharmacy is 4 years) by then and would like to start my family. I also think I will be burnt out by then to pursue a third degree (which requires +7 years of training) I know that it is still possible to do it, I just feel it is not an attractive option for me.

My question is, do you guys think I should still write the MCAT, knowing it will be used only in ONE university? ( I am planning on writing it in August 2016)

My second question is: does anyone know about Other universities and their policies regarding the second degree? Ottawa, Northern Ontairo, Manitoba, etc?

My GPA in Physiology Undergrad: 3.5/4.3
GPA first year pharmacist: 4.0/4.0 (until now)

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you want to finish pharmacy? You'll likely have to finish it to have a shot at the schools that consider 2nd degrees.

You also have to take the MCAT and do well on it, so do that soon and see how you stack up.

Reactions: 1 user
@UBC2014 Thank you for your reply.
I do not want to finish my pharmacy degree before enrolling in MD because:

1) by the time I finish, I will be 29. Yes, it is still doable at that age and yes 29 is just a number, but I would like to start my family and have children before I turn 40.
2) I may not be able to financially afford it because I already spent on my first degree and now that I am in pharmacy as an international students my expenses are too high.
3) I am afraid that I will be burnout by then.

I figured that the sooner I do the MCAT the better, mostly because most of the material is already fresh in my mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
@UBC2014 Thank you for your reply.
I do not want to finish my pharmacy degree before enrolling in MD because:

1) by the time I finish, I will be 29. Yes, it is still doable at that age and yes 29 is just a number, but I would like to start my family and have children before I turn 40.
2) I may not be able to financially afford it because I already spent on my first degree and now that I am in pharmacy as an international students my expenses are too high.
3) I am afraid that I will be burnout by then.

I figured that the sooner I do the MCAT the better, mostly because most of the material is already fresh in my mind.
I guess my main question was, why are you suddenly not wanting to be a pharmacist anymore?

At any rate, that doesn't matter. Take the MCAT and see how you do. As it stands, your GPA makes you not competitive at most schools. Even though you can apply to UBC, your GPA is unlikely to meet the cut-off for Out of Province applicants (minimum 85% for file review).

If you don't want to complete your pharmacy degree, your next best attainable option for a medicine degree is to study at a USDO school. Again, assuming you can afford a US education.

@UBC2014 Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
I know this decision seems impulsive but it is not. I have always considered medicine but at the time when I had to make a choice to pursue a degree, medicine seemed unattainable. I had to be realistic.

at UBC they will my worst year out and I will have a better chance.

And US schools are too expensive at this point, since I am already paying international fees in the U.K. (Although, I am planning on moving to US once I am done with med school, provided I pass their exams to be able to practice).

Are you currently a student there?

@UBC2014 Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
I know this decision seems impulsive but it is not. I have always considered medicine but at the time when I had to make a choice to pursue a degree, medicine seemed unattainable. I had to be realistic.

at UBC they will my worst year out and I will have a better chance.

And US schools are too expensive at this point, since I am already paying international fees in the U.K. (Although, I am planning on moving to US once I am done with med school, provided I pass their exams to be able to practice).

Are you currently a student there?

What is your year by year breakdown of your undergrad degree grades? With course loads.

Yes UBC drops your lowest year. But as an OOP you must meet a minimum of 85% to even be considered for an interview...and generally need much higher to get the interview as OOP. AND you need really strong non-academics. UBC weights Academics and non-academics equally pre-interview. So even if you had a 99% GPA(which you don't), you could still not get an interview if you have nothing in the realm of non-academics (volunteering, work experience, leadership etc etc).

As for moving from the UK to the US to practice...do you have US citizenship? Because if you don't, that is extremely unlikely to happen.

SEM 1 : 2.692/4.3
SEM 2: 3.623/4.3

AV= 3.15/4.3

SEM3: 3.007/4.3
SEM4: 4.060 /4.3
SEM 5 (summer): 3.700/4.3
AV= 3.589

SEM6: 3.653/4.3
SEM7: 3.740/4.3
AV = 3.696

OVERALL: 3.500/4.3

Pharmacy
SEM 1: 4.00/4.00

@UBC2014 What do you think?

P.S: Regarding the C.V I have volunteering and work experience and I am still working on that.