This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cew7286

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello this is my first time posting on SDN.

I'm a sophomore Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major (current GPA: 4.0) at a small liberal arts college, what I do:
  • this is my second semester researching in a computational chemistry lab
  • I am a volunteer ESL (English as a 2nd language) teacher on weekends
  • I hold several positions a few organizations I care about, including Treasurer, Tutor coordinator, Legislative chair
  • I did a service learning opportunity in Belize (through a legit organization)
  • I have studied abroad in Spain and am nearing bilingual proficiency
  • I only have maybe 50 hours of shadowing thus far
  • I am a TA for a medical Spanish class taught at the nearby DO school
  • I am a founding member of a coalition for helping immigrants orient themselves to our community, given I am in a very small town that is short of some resources such as translators
  • I will be a bilingual scribe this summer
What I know I need:
  • I need to find a clinical setting in which to volunteer
  • I need lots more shadowing hours
  • I need to publish/ present my research
My issue: I will graduate a year early and I am currently debating whether or not to join the Peace Corps. The only reasons I am hesitant is that I am already in a long-term relationship and I am worried that it would hurt my chances at medical school given I will be away from my studies for 2 years.

My question: What are some things I need to be doing to help my chances at medical school and what are your thoughts on the peace corps?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Have you taken the MCAT? That's arguably the biggest factor missing. A 4.0 with a 480 MCAT would make the rest of your otherwise-excellent application weak.
2) I don't think you need too much more shadowing, unless you're going for a primary care oriented school. I would make sure you have a diversity of shadowing experiences (different specialties).
3) you do need clinical work. research pubs/presentations are nice, but not necessary. More important is the quality and quantity of hours you put into research.
4) Peace Corps would be great if that's something that you're passionate about! Especially if it adds to your narrative.
5) Being removed from school isn't a bad thing. In fact some schools are shifting towards taking more gap year candidates. I know UChicago is specifically asking a question pertaining to that in their interviews this cycle (maturity, etc). Gap years may work in your favor.
6) check your SDN messages!