What are my chances of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpowerlifter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I can post this here, but I've just been so unsure of what to do going forward. Currently M3 at a mid-low tier school.

Step 1: 243
Research: 1 publication in undergrad on basic science research, 1 poster presentation at my current school.

I'm trying to get some ophthalmology research this year, but not sure if I should apply this year with the uncertainty of having research (probably going to be able to work on something but no publications).

Would I be able to match this year if I was able to work on research with no publications or should I just take a research year? I think I'm a pretty average student and don't think there's anything in particular that stands out about me, but I really love ophthalmology and can't see myself do anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

Big question is: do you have a home program?
I do, but the ophtho research director said that they don't have preference towards their own students. Usually 1-2 get into the home program, and there's around 8-10 that apply each year.

do some aways, youre in a similar position to many applicants that match every year.

Definitely show some ongoing effort to pursue research. Get good letters, do as well as you can in your remaining courses. Your step1 is a very match-able score

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
do some aways, youre in a similar position to many applicants that match every year.

Definitely show some ongoing effort to pursue research. Get good letters, do as well as you can in your remaining courses. Your step1 is a very match-able score

Thanks for the advice. I really don't mind where I go for residency, so I want to just go for it and not have to take a research year. Is there some kind of centralized list of ophthalmology programs that people generally use?

Thanks for the advice. I really don't mind where I go for residency, so I want to just go for it and not have to take a research year. Is there some kind of centralized list of ophthalmology programs that people generally use?

There's FRIEDA/VSAS/ and SF match has a list of programs. I haven't been able to find many student reports besides a few forums posts here and there but let me know if you find one! Ophtho seems to be quite tight-lipped!

Reactions: 1 user