what are my chances of getting into one of the top tier dermatology programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSight8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask your opinion of what my chances are to get into a top tier dermatology program. I feel that I have put in a lot of hard work my first two years of medical school, but I know that there are a lot of really brilliant applicants in the field of dermatology that I am sure have done similar/better than me.

I am in a Combined MD/PhD Program at a mid/lower tier east coast medical school. I have earned Honors in all my classes 1st year and all my classes 2nd year. I earned a 257 on my USMLE step 1. I am starting my PhD work at a well recognized laboratory at the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. I have 4 publications in the last two years of medical school. Two OB/Gyn, 1 neurology and 1 1st author dermatology publication with the Chair of Dermatology in my medical school as second author. I have 10 abstracts/poster/conference presentations from before entering medical school and two prizes from research presentations.

Thanks you beforehand for everyones advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask your opinion of what my chances are to get into a top tier dermatology program. I feel that I have put in a lot of hard work my first two years of medical school, but I know that there are a lot of really brilliant applicants in the field of dermatology that I am sure have done similar/better than me.

I am in a Combined MD/PhD Program at a mid/lower tier east coast medical school. I have earned Honors in all my classes 1st year and all my classes 2nd year. I earned a 257 on my USMLE step 1. I am starting my PhD work at a well recognized laboratory at the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. I have 4 publications in the last two years of medical school. Two OB/Gyn, 1 neurology and 1 1st author dermatology publication with the Chair of Dermatology in my medical school as second author. I have 10 abstracts/poster/conference presentations from before entering medical school and two prizes from research presentations.

Thanks you beforehand for everyones advice.

I'd say pretty good, but I'm thinking you knew that. Just try to stay humble, work hard, not rub anyone the wrong way, and you should be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
while we're on the topic-

what are my chances? I have honored everything I have ever taken, including sandbox in kindergarten. i have a PhD in astrophysics and another PhD in Awesome. My mother is hot and I poop roses. One of our anatomy professors actually asked me to teach the second half of the semester. I am hung like 3 oxen put together. I came up with the Schrodinger equation before his parents even had sex for the first time. I already have my medical degree in India and Italy and have completed my dermatology residency in Portugal and Canada. The 119th element on the periodic table will actually be named after me. I am independently wealthy, but am pursuing derm completely out of passionate curiosity and the kindness of my heart. Due to my astronomical wealth, I would completely be willing to work for free and actually accept the job and work the hours of 2 resident back to back. Oh yeah, and I give a mean hj. What are my chances of matching?

- Humble

I forgot to mention, I got a 999999999999 on step one but dipped a little bit to 999999999997 on step 2. It makes me a litte nervous. Do you think my step 2 will hurt me? Even with my 5.0 in med school college, grade school and in utero? thanks for the advice

I forgot to mention, I got a 999999999999 on step one but dipped a little bit to 999999999997 on step 2. It makes me a litte nervous. Do you think my step 2 will hurt me? Even with my 5.0 in med school college, grade school and in utero? thanks for the advice

fat chance, man.. ur chances look bleak against mine. i suggest u look into fam med. sorry.

Oh yeah, and I give a mean hj. What are my chances of matching?

- Humble

I agree with goodies in that your chances seem bleek, because that skill you have might help you when alone in the call room. But to improve your chance I recommend you practice your ability to surgically attach your mouth to your PDs rectum. Now that's a skill that will get you far.:D

Most awesome thread ever. havent laughed like this in some time.
thanx for the comic relief.

while we're on the topic-

what are my chances? I have honored everything I have ever taken, including sandbox in kindergarten. i have a PhD in astrophysics and another PhD in Awesome. My mother is hot and I poop roses. One of our anatomy professors actually asked me to teach the second half of the semester. I am hung like 3 oxen put together. I came up with the Schrodinger equation before his parents even had sex for the first time. I already have my medical degree in India and Italy and have completed my dermatology residency in Portugal and Canada. The 119th element on the periodic table will actually be named after me. I am independently wealthy, but am pursuing derm completely out of passionate curiosity and the kindness of my heart. Due to my astronomical wealth, I would completely be willing to work for free and actually accept the job and work the hours of 2 resident back to back. Oh yeah, and I give a mean hj. What are my chances of matching?

- Humble

I wish I could fit this into my signature. You must also have a PhD in English, because this is poetry. F***ing funny poetry.

You also have to be a model. Underwear or bathing suit ONLY.