What are my chances of getting into Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokie95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior graduating this may and I am applying to dental schools in June. I was wondering if I can get some input on whether or not I have a chance at getting an interview to a few schools. Here are my stats:

GPA: should be about 3.4 after this semester
Science GPA: a little over 3.3

DAT:
Bio- 21
Chem- 23
OChem- 20
Perceptual Ability- 22
QR- 23
RC- 22
TS- 21
AA- 22

I also have about 100 hours of volunteering and 200 hours of shadowing.
I have held a leadership position in two clubs as well.

Thanks for your help!

Edit* I am also working as a dental assistant during my gap year and volunteering at a hospital and dental clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about

My stats were slightly worse than yours by 1 AA and 0.05 GPA. I applied to 20 schools and got interview invites to 6 schools. I've had stronger EC's but ultimately it's your GPA/DAT/passion for teeth that will get you in.

Reactions: 1 user
I totally agree with @redhotchiligochu. I had very similar GPA and stats, albeit with a 21AA, applied to one school, and got in. Of course, I don't recommend applying to only one school. Definitely apply early and broadly, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Best of luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
So why does this person have an excellent chance, but the person with higher stats who just posted (asking about MS or DA) not get in? I mean, is it really easy to screw up an interview? As long as you are not too socially awkward will you be ok? I am trying not to freak myself out. I have very strong stats, shadowing, service, etc, but I wonder if there is one thing about me that will derail it all. This whole thing gets stressful.

So why does this person have an excellent chance, but the person with higher stats who just posted (asking about MS or DA) not get in? I mean, is it really easy to screw up an interview? As long as you are not too socially awkward will you be ok? I am trying not to freak myself out. I have very strong stats, shadowing, service, etc, but I wonder if there is one thing about me that will derail it all. This whole thing gets stressful.
As has been posted here before, many people confuse interviews with acceptances. Just be calm and easygoing during your interview and you will be fine

Easier said than done but relaxing, going with the flow, being yourself and semi-brown-nosing the person interviewing you will go a long way.

One faculty member asked me "do you think you low BCP will hinder you from getting through dental school?"
I answered "I don't think patients will ask me for my DAT score, GPA, and shadowing experience. All they care about is getting treatment as quickly and painlessly as possible."
Faculty? "I disagree, patients will care about your academic strength."
Me? o_____0

Obviously I haven't heard back from this school. Looking back, I might have been set for failure at this school in any case.

Reactions: 1 users
Easier said than done but relaxing, going with the flow, being yourself and semi-brown-nosing the person interviewing you will go a long way.

One faculty member asked me "do you think you low BCP will hinder you from getting through dental school?"
I answered "I don't think patients will ask me for my DAT score, GPA, and shadowing experience. All they care about is getting treatment as quickly and painlessly as possible."
Me? o_____0

Obviously I haven't heard back from this school. Looking back, I might have been set for failure at this school in any case.
No I think your answer was regarded as being a little bit "Not nice"

Apply early and you're good. Make sure the schools you pick are OOS friendly.

I totally agree with @redhotchiligochu. I had very similar GPA and stats, albeit with a 21AA, applied to one school, and got in. Of course, I don't recommend applying to only one school. Definitely apply early and broadly, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Best of luck~

Do you mind if I ask which school?

Yeah get the ADEA guide and it'll give %'s for OOS interviews and acceptances vs IS

Me? o_____0

I disagree with being set for failure at this school. If you were to word it differently and explain your low BCP you would have gotten the acceptance letter.

I disagree with being set for failure at this school. If you were to word it differently and explain your low BCP you would have gotten the acceptance letter.

I am wondering how would you have answered when faced with such a question?