what are my chances of getting into a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

min27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm a 4th year DO student, and I plan on applying to every MD PM&R program out there, but I'm just wondering what my chances are at getting into a program.

I didn't take the USMLE, and my COMLEX scores aren't too great.
Level I - 460
Level II - 513
PE - Passed on 2nd try

Most of my evals from my 3rd yr rotations are pretty good, few are mediocre, but I received 2 pretty bad evals.

I have 2 poster presentations with my name on them, but I don't have any research or publications.

I have 2 pm&r rotations coming up and I plan on working my butt off,
but are my chances of getting into a program pretty slim?
And do most schools have a minimum required score to apply?

Any input will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how COMLEX translates into USMLE, so I can't make any comments on your scores (other than retaking PE, which I'm guessing is similar to CS, is probably a red flag). The "pretty bad evals" could hurt you quite a bit--while it's not all that uncommon to get an average eval, my understanding is it's quite uncommon to get a bad evaluation.

Still, I've known people with failed Step 1's that got into good programs. I don't see why it might not be possible for you, especially if you impress people at the programs you're rotating at. I would work with the assumption that they might be your only options, so do everything you can to impress the faculty and residents at the program. That doesn't just mean working hard, but also having fun/getting along with those you work with (at least that seems to be pretty important at most PM&R programs...) Still, work hard--show the program you want to be there! I'm just trying to say, make sure to make connections with those in the program.

Some schools do have minimum score requirements. Just apply really broadly (which it sounds like you're doing), and consider applying to a back-up residency. PM&R is relatively competitive given the scarcity of positions and the increased interest in the field. The worst thing that could happen is you don't match.

1. Never say never.

2. In my experience, PM&R people are generally compassionate people, so they will be open to listening to your personal story. I just posted in another thread that PS is not that important, but your case might be an exception. In addition to typical components found in a PS, I think your PS should also address why you got those "pretty bad evals" and what you learned since and how you've improved yourself since. Life happens and some people unfortunately have difficult things come up during medical school... if you had one of those experiences, be sure to mention it.

I used to be a high school teacher and I taught a student who had failed 2 straight years of high school due to parents' divorce and got caught up in a bad crowd... then he transferred school and repeated HS and literally got straight A's for the following 4 years and ended up going to West Point. Just saying, never say never.

3. If I were a PD, the last thing I would want is be concerned about a resident possibly being "pretty bad" while in my program. Be sure you can be convincing that those struggles of the past are in your past and if you do end up working your butt off, the LOR from people you work with should be testimony to the new, improved you.

4. With that said, you wrote this post 6 days ago and you state you have PM&R rotations "coming up." Given that applying early is important, if you don't have a single PM&R letter yet, I'd be concerned for your timing.

5. Some of the top tier programs may use set cut off scores to facilitate sorting through their applicants, but I'm sure there are plenty of programs that are less formulaic.

~460s translates into a 78-80 2 digit score I think.

You have red flags and there are some programs which will screen out for failing any part of the boards, and there are some other programs that have minimum score requirements. I don't know of any programs that flat out require USMLE.

OK so now that the band aid is ripped off, you should kill these electives and get some good letters of recommendation, which carry a lot of weight in a tiny field. There are many programs that don't do any screening, and I think you should expect to get some invites.

It would be wise to consider applying to AOA programs too, though.