What are my chances of Big 3 Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwade06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.06 gpa currently. I think I can get in to a 3.1-3.2 in another semester. My mcat score was a 26. I have 225 hours of volunteer experience in hospitality, emergency room, and have shadowed doctors. What are my chances at SGU, Ross, or AUC?

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to know what are my chances

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to know what are my chances

Dude you're good just apply. You have a great chance at any of those.

However, I, as well as the majority of people on this board will tell you not to. Since you're set on it, good luck!

3.06 gpa. Similar Science GPA. Got an A+ in Orgo 2. Have 2 more semester to get my gpa to 3.1-3.2. I got a 26 on my mcats. Have over 225 hours volunteer experience in hospitality, emergency room, and have shadowed doctors. What are my chances at the big 3 caribbean schools?

Grade replace and go DO.

This.

You'll have far better career prospects as a DO (and I don't mean to imply that DO's are a "backup" option).

You're not that far from being competitive for DO anyway.

As for your chances at Caribbean, they take virtually anybody...so you're probably good.

3.06 gpa. Similar Science GPA. Got an A+ in Orgo 2. Have 2 more semester to get my gpa to 3.1-3.2. I got a 26 on my mcats. Have over 225 hours volunteer experience in hospitality, emergency room, and have shadowed doctors. What are my chances at the big 3 caribbean schools?

You can get into DO with these stats... Avoid Caribbean at all cost unless you want to have MD instead of DO after your name... To answer you question: Yes you will get into the big 3 with these stats....

I dont know of any DO schools that would accept these stats. Do you know of any?

I dont know of any DO schools that would accept these stats. Do you know of any?

Some DO will... It is the overall application they look at... Your GPAs are lower than average but your ECs and mcat score are average... In addition, you can retake 3-4 classes that you got C or lower to increase your GPAs since DO have grade replacement... If you get these GPAs to 3.3+, you will be competitive for over 50% DO schools... Again your stats are not atrocious as they are now... You can get into the new DO schools (ACOM, WCU-COM, LMU-DCOM, LUCOM (next year), KYCOM, WVCOM, VCOM etc...). These schools have average (emphasis on the word average) stats that are close to your potential actual stats (3.2 c/sGPA and 26 mcat).

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are excellent if you can write an up-front tuition check for all four years, and are breathing.

You're fine for many DO programs, and can do better than Carib diploma mills.

You want to matriculate into a Caribbean school? Well there's no way that you're gonna regret that decision in four years. Nope. Definitely won't go down as the decision that ruined your life or anything like that.

thanks for the optimism but from talking to many doctors, there is a certain bias to DOs.

Do you mean what are your chances that you will complete the course of study and receive your MD?

Ask the schools you are considering what their graduate rate is -- specifically what proportion of students who started in 2007 had graduated by 2012.

Or do you mean the chances that you will complete a residency and be licensed to practice medicine in the US after graduating from a Caribbean school? That's another thing to ask the schools.

Easy to get in, hard to stay in, and tough to get a residency when you are applying as a graduate of a foreign medical school.

US DO any day before Caribbean MD... it's been said a million times in this thread. Only plus about the Caribbean is that the girls are usually hotter

US DO any day before Caribbean MD... it's been said a million times in this thread. Only plus about the Caribbean is that the girls are usually hotter

beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

but i agree with the other part of your argument

Do you mean what are your chances that you will complete the course of study and receive your MD?

Ask the schools you are considering what their graduate rate is -- specifically what proportion of students who started in 2007 had graduated by 2012.

Or do you mean the chances that you will complete a residency and be licensed to practice medicine in the US after graduating from a Caribbean school? That's another thing to ask the schools.

Easy to get in, hard to stay in, and tough to get a residency when you are applying as a graduate of a foreign medical school.

I think the OP is asking about his chances of getting into Caribbean medical schools.

thanks for the optimism but from talking to many doctors, there is a certain bias to DOs.
You're going to regret this so bad, but good luck to you. You'll get into any of the Caribbean schools you apply to.

I have a close friend who got his carribean MD average step scores....took three years to get a FM residency in the most frozen nowhere portion of Michigan

So all together 10 years from taking out medical school debt till he starts making six figures?

Don't go Caribbean. But yeah you'll probably get into one of those.

I think the OP is asking about his chances of getting into Caribbean medical schools.

I think LizzyM was just pointing out the more crucial questions that should be asked.

I dunno OP, as an inexperienced lurker I think you should really try the DO route. What makes you want to go to the Caribbean schools? Is it because they seem to be the easiest? Or does something seem genuinely appealing about them?

can you sign loan papers? because that's pretty much all you need for many Carib schools.

Even the big 3 are piss easy to get into, so yea, you can get in if you want.

Your chances are good for Caribbean. You should go wherever you like and best see fit.

My best friend graduated from one of the top 3 Caribbean schools. He has not matched twice and this has been a nightmare. This is the 3rd year he will be applying for a residency. He has almost $3k in student loan payments he has to make every month so in the mean time he's working at a restaurant and as a real estate agent.

He has told me multiple times that he wishes he went to a DO school. He would have had less debt and most likely matched. He's applied to family practice this year even though he's always wanted to be a urologist. Right now he's unsure if he will even match into family practice. As a IMG it's going to be a struggle to get a residency and I don't think it's worth it.

Don't be an idiot and go DO.

My best friend graduated from one of the top 3 Caribbean schools. He has not matched twice and this has been a nightmare. This is the 3rd year he will be applying for a residency. He has almost $3k in student loan payments he has to make every month so in the mean time he's working at a restaurant and as a real estate agent.

He has told me multiple times that he wishes he went to a DO school. He would have had less debt and most likely matched. He's applied to family practice this year even though he's always wanted to be a urologist. Right now he's unsure if he will even match into family practice. As a IMG it's going to be a struggle to get a residency and I don't think it's worth it.

Don't be an idiot and go DO.

Scores?

Actually, it's MD >>>> Janitor >>>> DO >>>> Carib MD. It's always good to be thorough :)

I must confess the only reason I'm at a DO school is I bombed the JCAT so hard that janitor school was out of reach for me. I come from a long line of janitors that clean the toilets at some very prestigious institutions. You can imagine the shame I must face as a DO student.

I must confess the only reason I'm at a DO school is I bombed the JCAT so hard that janitor school was out of reach for me. I come from a long line of janitors that clean the toilets at some very prestigious institutions. You can imagine the shame I must face as a DO student.

Hahahaha the JCAT...

I wonder how many people googled JCAT after reading your post.

I personally know someone who completed med school in the Caribbean. He passed step I (second attempt) step II and step III and unfortunately working as a PCA after accumulating 200k+ of debt. SAD!

Passing doesn't mean anything. If he passed with a 190 he won't be getting a residency.

I have a 2.2 GPA undergrad, 34 MCAT, about 34 units @ 4.0 post bacc, and decent volunteering/shadowing experience. What are my chances at getting into a Caribbean school in January?

I have a 3.06 gpa currently. I think I can get in to a 3.1-3.2 in another semester. My mcat score was a 26. I have 225 hours of volunteer experience in hospitality, emergency room, and have shadowed doctors. What are my chances at SGU, Ross, or AUC?

I've started a page to help people like yourself.

First, let me say that I think you could get into a DO school, assuming you're not a creep and that sounds like it could be a very good option for you.

I'm starting medical school in Western Europe this year, but I also hold dual citizenship so it's not a gamble for me like it may be for others.

I would strongly recommend you don't go to the Caribbean. There is a stigma attached, your options are limited post-grad, you're a number and a tuition check to them, and you run the risk of going $300,000 into debt without getting a job at the end.

If you're dead set on starting medical school in September then you should look at Eastern Europe. There are 4-year English language schools in Poland, the degrees are recognized throughout the European Union, some schools are recognized throughout all 50 US states, they cost a fraction of US & Caribbean tuition ($60K in Poland for 4 years vs $200K+ in Carb for 4 years). Odds are you'll end up in a decent Polish city (Poland has a quickly rising standard of living, it's no longer communist Poland). The schools encourage their students to complete up to 3 months of clinical rotations in the US (some schools even advise more). Residency options coming out of Poland will be similar to the ones you would have coming out of the Caribbean except you won't live in a developing Caribbean nation for 2 years, and you'll come out with less than half of the debt.

There is also Australia. You could probably get into UQ with your stats. I'd go to Australia before even considering the Caribbean. Caribbean schools are diploma mills and everyone knows it. UQ may be heading down that path too but at least its in a highly developed country, with a high standard of living, and of medical care. Its expensive, but the same price as the Caribbean. Most of the schools are eligible for US Federal Loans.

Last edited: