What are my chances? -Nontraditional, low GPA, average DAT, full time dental assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smoon26

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Do I have any chances in this dental cycle? I am feeling really down right now because I messaged BU and they told me I needed to do a Masters program to even be considered for any interview since I've been 3 years out of school. Should I even apply this cycle and just hope for the best? If I need a masters/post-bacc when should I apply for that so I can be eligible for next cycle if I get all rejections this cycle? Are there also schools that are more nontraditional applicant friendly? I really need advice because I don't have any close dental mentors and am feeling really lost. Thank you!

Overall GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.26
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21 AA, 22 TS, 20 QR, 20 PAT, 20 RC, 21 BIO, 22 GC, 22 OC,
State of Residence: MA

Undergrad Attended: Boston University
Major: Health Science (Public Health)
Minor: N/A
Minority?
Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, 1 year worked as optometric technician, currently working as dental assistant for 6 months now

Shadowing Experience: ~150
Volunteering Experience: ~160
Employment: currently full time dental assistant, worked FT as optometric technician
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: laboratory assistant during undergrad, interned at hospital, member of community service fraternity, Chinese language tutor, event coordinator at club, mailroom assistant
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: 3 science professors, 1 dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: CPR/AED and radiology certified

School list: Willing to apply to ~15 schools
Tufts
Loma Linda
University of Pacific
Western
UCONN
University of Maryland
Rutgers
University of Buffalo
NYU
Touro College
Temple
UPENN
University of Pittsburgh
VCU

Maybe:
Howard
UNE (don't have anatomy prerequisite but can plan for it)
Case Western

I am planning on applying mid July. Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Do I have any chances in this dental cycle? I am feeling really down right now because I messaged BU and they told me I needed to do a Masters program to even be considered for any interview since I've been 3 years out of school. Should I even apply this cycle and just hope for the best? If I need a masters/post-bacc when should I apply for that so I can be eligible for next cycle if I get all rejections this cycle? Are there also schools that are more nontraditional applicant friendly? I really need advice because I don't have any close dental mentors and am feeling really lost. Thank you!

Overall GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.26
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21 AA, 22 TS, 20 QR, 20 PAT, 20 RC, 21 BIO, 22 GC, 22 OC,
State of Residence: MA

Undergrad Attended: Boston University
Major: Health Science (Public Health)
Minor: N/A
Minority?
Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, 1 year worked as optometric technician, currently working as dental assistant for 6 months now

Shadowing Experience: ~150
Volunteering Experience: ~160
Employment: currently full time dental assistant, worked FT as optometric technician
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: laboratory assistant during undergrad, interned at hospital, member of community service fraternity, Chinese language tutor, event coordinator at club, mailroom assistant
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: 3 science professors, 1 dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: CPR/AED and radiology certified

School list: Willing to apply to ~15 schools
Tufts
Loma Linda
University of Pacific
Western
UCONN
University of Maryland
Rutgers
University of Buffalo
NYU
Touro College
Temple
UPENN
University of Pittsburgh
VCU

Maybe:
Howard
UNE (don't have anatomy prerequisite but can plan for it)
Case Western

I am planning on applying mid July. Thank you so much!!!
too many OOS public schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I apply to more OOS private schools? Which ones would you recommend?
i recommend you do your research and apply to a wide range of schools that are in your gpa range...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Add more private schools and less state schools.
You can pull it off if you have great ECs and LORs and personal statements, but the interview will be a big deciding fact if they pick you over people with higher stats. Good luck and don't let whatever BU said get you down, they aren't that great of a school from what I have heard in the past anyways

Reactions: 1 users