What are my chances? Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tasfiah

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm seeking some advice as a non-traditional applicant. I completed my BA in Psychology and graduated in Dec 2022 with a 3.27 GPA. I worked full time through out my undergrad at multiple small-animal GPs. During my senior year I began working full time as an ER assistant in a well known emergency/specialty hospital. I started doing PennFoster after graduation thinking I wanted to be a tech but realized quickly this wasn't what I wanted. I enrolled in classes in August 2022 to begin my post bacc. My grades are okay. Not the best. I still have 5 classes left to complete, two of which I'll be taking over the summer and 3 during the fall. I'm hoping they will bring me to a 3.3-3.4 science GPA. I have over 6000 hours of hands on experience. 3 LORs from ER vets, one being the medical director and 1 LOR from the practice manager. I'm not picky of where I go to school. I'm just wondering if any has any opinion on what my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome. With a cumulative GPA of 3.3, I'd say you'd be looking more towards some of the holistic schools, so it's a bit hard to provide great advice on competitiveness without a more complete picture. Your vet hour numbers are good, but sounds like possibly all small animal and not necessarily siper diverse?

Would advise using the outline provided in the WAMC section of the pre-vet forums so I, and anyone else looking, can get a more complete sense of you as an applicant!

Hi,

I'm seeking some advice as a non-traditional applicant. I completed my BA in Psychology and graduated in Dec 2022 with a 3.27 GPA. I worked full time through out my undergrad at multiple small-animal GPs. During my senior year I began working full time as an ER assistant in a well known emergency/specialty hospital. I started doing PennFoster after graduation thinking I wanted to be a tech but realized quickly this wasn't what I wanted. I enrolled in classes in August 2022 to begin my post bacc. My grades are okay. Not the best. I still have 5 classes left to complete, two of which I'll be taking over the summer and 3 during the fall. I'm hoping they will bring me to a 3.3-3.4 science GPA. I have over 6000 hours of hands on experience. 3 LORs from ER vets, one being the medical director and 1 LOR from the practice manager. I'm not picky of where I go to school. I'm just wondering if any has any opinion on what my chances are?
You have an OK foundation but my recommendation would be to focus on something that sets you apart.

Do you do freebase climbing? Did you work in a fish hatchery? Have you been in a rock band?

Unfortunately right now your application won't stand out without something 🌟sparkly🌟

Reactions: 1 user