What are my chances -- Hopeful Humanitarian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSailorMoon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I graduated with my B.S. in Biology in 2012 from UT Austin. My GPA at the time was a 2.27.

I was pre-med in undergraduate, but I wasn't serious about it. I had no idea what I wanted to do in life, and studied biology because I loved it. Both my parents are immigrants: my dad didn't finish college and my mom didn't finish high school. Their only advice to me was "be a doctor," without any practical guidance, and so it was easy after a certain point to just throw everything away and focus on being happy. I went through a lot of personal transformations in undergraduate.

My plan after college was to work at a National Park or get some other environmental job. But then a lot of things changed. For one, I'm Syrian, and suddenly a lot of things became serious, fast. After graduating, I joined the Syrian American Council and did a lot of leadership work within my community, but ultimately wound up going back to school to finish my pre-med requirements. I spent another year in undergrad and came out with better grades, which pushed my overall cumulative gpa to a 2.46.

Then I took the old MCAT and scored a 29 (VR 9 Physics 9 Bio 11). I was miserable during this time because of everything that was happening in the news, and how I knew no one in my community was responding. For the sake of my own mental health, I took a break from pursuing medicine and went back to work on Syria-related issues.

During this entire time, the one thing that has haunted me is my undergraduate GPA. I should have sought psychological help in undergrad, but I never saw a professional. I remember intentionally blowing tests as a way of self-harm, because I felt that I was worthless. I used to think this way because when I left my very conservative home, I became very liberal in ways I knew would mean outright rejection by my family. When I moved back home, they did indeed try to kick me out of the house twice.

But. Time has passed. I'm older and much more confident. I no longer struggle with the same things I did in undergrad.

So now I'm thinking my best shot at medical school is DO school. I have an amazing resume and personal statement, except my grades are not the best. My pre med classes are mostly Bs, and there are a few C-'s.

I know that DO schools allow a student to re-take classes and will count the newest grade. I was thinking of taking the C classes over again. But time and money are different as you grow older, and part of me is wondering if there is another route to take that will save me both.

Would appreciate thoughts, comments, and feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

it will take time and money to do retakes and apply DO, you'll likely need to be at least in the 3.3ish range

the judgement call is yours

Reactions: 1 user
There are no shortcuts. Retake all F/D/C science coursework.

I know that DO schools allow a student to re-take classes and will count the newest grade. I was thinking of taking the C classes over again. But time and money are different as you grow older, and part of me is wondering if there is another route to take that will save me both.

Would appreciate thoughts, comments, and feedback![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will likely have to retake a lot of coursework, as Goro mentioned, but you can do it! Remember to continue doing something clinically relevant, whether it's volunteering at a hospital, being a scribe, etc. and shadow DOs to get a LOR. Then, study for and try and get at least 504+ on the MCAT and apply broadly. As someone who has worked with refugees, I feel for you. It's heartbreaking watching the news, especially with respect to the refugee crisis in Syria but you can get through this! If you can even tie your passion for humanitarian assistance vis a vis the Syrian civil war to medicine, like I did with respect to working with refugees and underserved communities, I'm sure adcoms will be impressed. All the best to you!

BTW, all DO schools except University of North Texas accepts grade replacements. Just food for thought.

As a fellow nontrad, just do the retakes, you need the classroom time to prepare as well. In 1-2 yrs you can go from being a hopeless to good candidate. Right now you have almost no chance, so why waste money applying. You should aim for >3.25 s and cgpa and 505 MCAT..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I had a ~2.0 when I graduated. I've redone so many classes it's ridiculous and will have over a 3.0 this semester after years of retakes. It comes down to this: How badly do you want it? You'll need to get your GPA to be competitive and at that point no matter what you choose, and at that point your MCAT will expire. If you're willing to redo all the bad coursework and retake the MCAT, I'm sure you'll have a hell of a compelling story for the adcoms. But again: How badly do you want it?

Reactions: 1 users
I was in the same situation academic wise as OP. I have since retaken courses for 3 semesters and immensely increased my GPA >3.0.

However I am reading that a lot of schools frown upon students with multiple retakes, like >10. With the volume of DO apps it doesn't really surprise me that many of the more established schools can fill their seats without "tainted" GPAs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was in the same situation academic wise as OP. I have since retaken courses for 3 semesters and immensely increased my GPA >3.0.

However I am reading that a lot of schools frown upon students with multiple retakes, like >10. With the volume of DO apps it doesn't really surprise me that many of the more established schools can fill their seats without "tainted" GPAs.

If I remember correctly, @Goro said he's had people effectively redo their entire degree and get accepted. I am banking on this, so I'm hoping his memory serves him well. :p

If I remember correctly, @Goro said he's had people effectively redo their entire degree and get accepted. I am banking on this, so I'm hoping his memory serves him well. :p

Preaching to the choir here lol. I do believe that most people in our shoes are made to benefit from an SMP. No matter the amount of coursework retaken, I don't think I can be seen as equal to a 3.5 GPA of a fresh graduate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Preaching to the choir here lol. I do believe that most people in our shoes are made to benefit from an SMP. No matter the amount of coursework retaken, I don't think can't be seen as equal to a 3.5 GPA of a fresh graduate.

But then my MCAT expires and I have to learn the new format!! :S I'm just hoping one broad app will snag me one spot :)

But then my MCAT expires and I have to learn the new format!! :S I'm just hoping one broad app will snag me one spot :)
You can try it, but if you don't snag a spot add reapplicant to the list of negatives. your MCAT might have already expired for some schools so check on see.

You can try it, but if you don't snag a spot add reapplicant to the list of negatives. your MCAT might have already expired for some schools so check on see.

I've actually done so:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ept-old-2014-mcat-in-2017-2018-cycle.1183207/

It actually may not be a bad idea to do a program that includes MCAT prep if I have to take the new one as well, so I won't rule out an SMP if I get over 3.0 and still can't get in.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Hello everyone,

I graduated with my B.S. in Biology in 2012 from UT Austin. My GPA at the time was a 2.27.

Why should ANY medical school except a Carib diploma accept you now, given that you have offered no evidence that you'd survive a day in medical school?????

I apologize, was there something I misunderstood? After this semester I'll have gone from 1.8 -> 3.0+ Gpa with one more year of classes to go, 28 mcat, and should have 500 hours clinical volunteering (hoping to do some non clinical this summer too). Was there something more I needed that I'm not considering?

My apologies for not reading more carefully! And I can't blame this one on walking the dog, either.

Step upward trends are always looked upon highly.

You should target your state schools, all low-tier MD schools and all DO schools.

I apologize, was there something I misunderstood? After this semester I'll have gone from 1.8 -> 3.0+ Gpa with one more year of classes to go, 28 mcat, and should have 500 hours clinical volunteering (hoping to do some non clinical this summer too). Was there something more I needed that I'm not considering?

My apologies for not reading more carefully! And I can't blame this one on walking the dog, either.

Step upward trends are always looked upon highly.

You should target your state schools, all low-tier MD schools and all DO schools.

No problem, I value your advice a lot and will probably lean on you a little throughout the upcoming year. :)