MD What are my chances? Help deciding where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janedoe18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying in summer 2018 to medical schools and am doing a lot of research on schools to apply to. I am hoping to get feedback on where I should apply and my chances at these schools.

I am getting a BS in Chemistry from a top state school with a minor in Biology. I have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and was on Team USA for figure skating for two years. I have been published in JACS once as second author and got a very competitive research fellowship at my school.
  • cGPA: 3.6
  • sGPS:3.75
  • MCAT: 513 (130/126/128/129)
  • Clinical Volunteering Hours: 100+
  • Other Volunteering Hours: 1000+
  • Shadowing: 100+ hours
  • TA for organic chemistry
List of schools (so far and in no particular order):
  • UMASS Medical
  • University of Minnesota
  • Tufts
  • University of Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Loyola-Stritch
  • University of Arizona Phoenix
  • UC Davis
  • George Washington
  • Quinnipiac (Netter)
  • Temple (Katz)
  • Tulane
  • Wake Forest
  • University of Connecticut
I appreciate ANY advice you all can give!

Edit: I have removed Minnesota, Washington and UC Davis and have added Jefferson, Penn State, Vermont, UConn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. UC Davis accepted one non resident 2 years ago. U Minnesota accepts very few applicants with your states who are not from Minnesota or neighboring states. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
U Arizona Phoenix
UConn
any new schools that may open for 2019 (NOVA MD, Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)

Reactions: 1 users
U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. UC Davis accepted one non resident 2 years ago. U Minnesota accepts very few applicants with your states who are not from Minnesota or neighboring states. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
U Arizona Phoenix
UConn
any new schools that may open for 2019 (NOVA MD, Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)
Thank you for this list! It really helps, most of these I have on my longer list, and I was considering throwing out UC Davis and UW, but I do have a LOR from a doc who graduated from Minnesota, should I still toss?

Minnesota interviews only 7% of non resident applicants and many of those are from North Dakota, surrounding states and those with connections to Minnesota (attended undergrad in state, legacies, etc.)

Oh wow, thank you so much! I certainly don't want to pay that application fee for those odds

Buy the MSAR. Look carefully at the # and proportion of OOS applicants interviewed by each school, particularly the state-funded schools. Unless proven otherwise (ahem, Vermont), I wouldn't bother with the state universities.

Also look carefully at OOS tuition and be sure you'd be willing to pay if it were your only offer. Some of them are very steep.

Did you graduate from HS in Massachusetts? It has some of the strictest rules regarding in-state residency for medical school. Be sure you meet the criteria before applying.

Georgetown has a very specific mission and gets a ton of application. they cull the herd by asking people to really buy into their mission and to articulate that buy-in. Read up on that and be sure you are on board before you waste the (high) secondary fee on #1 a long shot and #2 a school you might not be a good fit for in terms of philosophy.

Reactions: 1 user
Buy the MSAR. Look carefully at the # and proportion of OOS applicants interviewed by each school, particularly the state-funded schools. Unless proven otherwise (ahem, Vermont), I wouldn't bother with the state universities.

Also look carefully at OOS tuition and be sure you'd be willing to pay if it were your only offer. Some of them are very steep.

Did you graduate from HS in Massachusetts? It has some of the strictest rules regarding in-state residency for medical school. Be sure you meet the criteria before applying.

Georgetown has a very specific mission and gets a ton of application. they cull the herd by asking people to really buy into their mission and to articulate that buy-in. Read up on that and be sure you are on board before you waste the (high) secondary fee on #1 a long shot and #2 a school you might not be a good fit for in terms of philosophy.
I did graduate high school in MA, and I have the MSAR and have done a lot of research on schools, but I will look more into proportion of OOS applicants interviewed and matriculated at these state schools. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Here's a more realistic list:

UCF (maybe)
Duke
U Cincy (maybe)
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton

George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Your state school(s).
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Hello,

I'm applying in summer 2018 to medical schools and am doing a lot of research on schools to apply to. I am hoping to get feedback on where I should apply and my chances at these schools.

I am getting a BS in Chemistry from a top state school with a minor in Biology. I have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and was on Team USA for figure skating for two years. I have been published in JACS once as second author and got a very competitive research fellowship at my school.
  • cGPA: 3.6
  • sGPS:3.75
  • MCAT: 513 (130/126/128/129)
  • Clinical Volunteering Hours: 100+
  • Other Volunteering Hours: 1000+
  • Shadowing: 100+ hours
  • TA for organic chemistry
List of schools (so far and in no particular order):
  • UMASS Medical
  • University of Minnesota
  • Tufts
  • University of Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Loyola-Stritch
  • University of Arizona Phoenix
  • UC Davis
  • George Washington
  • Quinnipiac (Netter)
  • Temple (Katz)
  • Tulane
  • Wake Forest
  • University of Connecticut
I appreciate ANY advice you all can give!

Edit: I have removed Minnesota, Washington and UC Davis and have added Jefferson, Penn State, Vermont, UConn

Reactions: 1 users