This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueelephant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to apply to tufts mbs to try to save my undergrad grades
here are my stats:
cumulative GPA: 2.97
science GPA: 2.86
MCAT: 514​

I have previous research experiences but limited volunteering (only in high school, not in college), I've had a couple shadowing experiences and worked in a medical office

Given my situation, would getting into tufts mbs be realistic? I am also interested in bu mams, and other special master's programs. should I consider postbac certificate programs? i'm not sure if those are less competitive.

Any advice would be helpful!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are a very strong candidate for SMPs. An SMP would be better than a postbacc for you because it would take forever to bring that uGPA up via postbacc, a standalone masters GPA would be much quicker albeit more expensive. I have two recommendations for you, however:

1) Take a class or two to bring your sGPA up to a 3.0 minimum, it will help with avoiding being autoscreened particularly when applying to MD schools.

2) Get your ECs in order before doing an SMP (start now if you must). There is very little time to do anything during the year of classes, you'll only have around 2-3 months of downtime between when classes end in May and submitting your AMCAS by June/July. So, get all of your research and volunteering done beforehand so you can apply directly. If you're not sure how you stand EC-wise, write out a detailed list here and people can critique you. Just fyi, high school experiences don't usually hold much weight for medical applications.

Disclaimer: Generally speaking, the quickest way into medical school for you would be to be okay with the DO route since your MCAT is very solid for that pathway. If you are boning for an MD, you would need to do the above, but note the cost and stress required in an SMP program.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice and the encouragement! If I take maybe some upper science classes at a community college, would that be helpful?

I wis you luck. I am sure that you'll do your best.

Reactions: 1 user