Veterinary What are my chances for these schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in a WAMC thread but I didn't get any feedback on these schools and my overall chances. I am going to try to get some zoological animal experience, but this is what I have so far for my application to Vet school. What are my chances for these schools, and should I not apply to certain ones because I won't get in?

I am going into my fourth year as an animal science major at UC Davis (I am from socal). I really want to be a zoological veterinarian and work with the AZA TAGs as a veterinarian program advisor to work on conservation and also education! Unfortunately, I didn't know how to study when I came to college and got Cs in three chemistry classes. My grades have been great Junior year (Dean's list twice and 4.0 spring quarter) but I also don't do anything besides school and I don't take heavy units (although during fall I will be taking 17 instead of my usual 13-14). I am also taking two classes both summer sessions (I have done school ever summer).
I barely have the minimum experience because I never had the resources to do it and vets around davis always already had interns and when I applied I didn't get them for whatever reason. I know my career goals are extremely specific and I put them in my essays, but I am open to doing something else if it doesnt work out in vet school (should I sneak that into my essay?). I recognize I am not a strong applicant so I am really concerned.

As of right now I am applying to a lot of schools to try to increase my chances of getting in (I would genuinely go to any of these schools) but obviously don't want to spend $215 on a school I have no chance of getting into. I am applying to schools with exotic/zoological electives, so as of now that is: Davis, colorado, cornell (but should I since they have a million extra essays and Idk what my chances are?), illinois, kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon (potentially won't apply if chances are super low due to extra essays and not wanting to have them pay too much), Western, Wisconsin, RVC, and St. Georges. I can only apply to certain ones because I only took one upper div stats class and two quarters of organic chemistry.

Cumulative GPA: 3.473
science GPA: 3.332
last 45: 3.631

Any degrees achieved

GRE results:
Q: 160 (74%)/V: 158 (80%) /W: 4 (59%)
I took it twice and got the exact same scores

Veterinary Experience:
- 135 hours at a surgical small animal clinic abroad in spain (they only spoke spanish)
- 25 hours shadowing one small animal vet
- 12 hours with another small animal vet who also saw exotics
- 16 hours at a clinic with small animals but mostly exotic pets

Animal Experience:
- over 800 hours in high school with rescue groups doing rehabilitation, helping litters that were two young, fostering, etc
-90 hours from my ANS classes working with goats, horses, cows, sheep, and swine
- 18 years of animal ownership
- 50 hours working with a goat (I showed it for a competition)
- 8 hours at a large cat rescue

Research Experience: N/A

Awards/scholarships:

- I earned a scholarship fall quarter freshman year for high school grades
- Dean's list fall 2018 and spring 2019
- should I put valedictorian for high school?

Extracurriculars:
-Sorority
- Vet aide club
- Youth group

Employment:
- Worked at Pacsun for over two years in high school

I really just don't think I am competitive which worries me. If I don't get in, I am not sure what the next step is. All the zoos I reach out to say they don't even have room for a one day shadow because they already have the vet students. I don't really know how to show the vet schools I really have worked hard to get my grades up and CAN do it in vet school. I study all day every single day, I know I am ready to be able to do that, I have literally been training to get used to that. I just want to know what my chances are for those schools I listed. Thank you!!!
There aren't a lot of people on SDN who can comment on vet school admissions. I think the variety of animals will work in your favor even if you feel you can't get some meaningful experience in zoos. Not everyone has that opportunity, so all you can do is push forward with your application. I wouldn't go all the way back with awards from high school unless they were truly national in scope.

The only other thing that could help you figure out if you are desirable enough as an applicant is to connect with current students and recent alumni. I would also connect with admissions staff after reviewing VMCAS instructions and information about the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.