What are my chances for the 2016-2017 cycle?/Should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Driven_Docta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my 1st post on SDN so forgive me for my ignorance if this isn't the proper location to post such a question. Also, only respond if you're willing to offer constructive criticism please.

So here's my situation:
3.43 cgpa + 3.3 sgpa undergrad with extremely strong upward trend. 3.73 average last 2 years of undergrad.
29 MCAT (8PS/10V/11BS)
Currently at Georgetown SMP (Master's Program) and have a GPA around 3.3.
Ca resident/Not URM
300 Hours as CNA (certified nursing assistant)
150+ hours of shadowing
5+ strong LOR's
200+ hours of research with a published article (not 1st author).
200 hours of additional clinical work
Leadership: President of cultural club during undergrad and manager of student center.
2nd Time Applying. No interviews the first time because I sent in secondaries late and didn't apply broadly.

So what I'm currently planning on doing is sending in my primary during the first day that the application cycle opens, but listing on it that I'm planning on retaking my MCAT towards the middle of July. Following the day that I retake my MCAT, I'm planning on sending back secondaries immediately, which shouldn't take too long because I'm a re-applicant and already have a few "templates" to work off of.

Do you guys think that it's worth retaking the MCAT? Realistically, I'd probably be scoring around a (33 +/-1 point).

Any thoughts about my current situation/plans/chances? Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hm this is tough. Your stats are so borderline for MD that even if you get a good MCAT score, your SMP gpa would still work against you. Are you interested in DO?

Also mods might want to move this to WAMC

Hello everyone,

3.43 cgpa.

Your GPA both in undergrad and on your SMP will hurt you a lot.
I hope you pull of the 33+/514+you are aiming for.
Are you applying DO too?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hm this is tough. Your stats are so borderline for MD that even if you get a good MCAT score, your SMP gpa would still work against you. Are you interested in DO?

Also mods might want to move this to WAMC

My mistake, I didn't know the proper place to post this.

I was also under the same impression about my stats, which is why I posted the question haha. I'll be applying to about 40 MD and 10 DO during this coming cycle.

I was also under the same impression about my stats, which is why I posted the question haha. I'll be applying to about 40 MD and 10 DO during this coming cycle.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but that is a huge waste of time and money. For that kind of cash, you could get yourself into an MCAT bootcamp and make yourself a competitive applicant. There are not 40 MD schools out there that your numbers make you competitive for - what is your state of residence?

Man thats a lot of money. With a strong MCAT and good school list chances are good I think.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but that is a huge waste of time and money. For that kind of cash, you could get yourself into an MCAT bootcamp and make yourself a competitive applicant. There are not 40 MD schools out there that your numbers make you competitive for - what is your state of residence?

That's my plan! I'm going to enroll myself in one of the Princeton Review programs starting in mid-March.

Unfortunately, I'm a Ca resident :help:. So you wouldn't recommend applying to that many schools? I was under the impression that if you applied early and broadly, that increased your chances regardless of your stats.

That's my plan! I'm going to enroll myself in one of the Princeton Review programs starting in mid-March.

Unfortunately, I'm a Ca resident :help:. So you wouldn't recommend applying to that many schools? I was under the impression that if you applied early and broadly, that increased your chances regardless of your stats.

If you are an average applicant, then yes early and broad is good, but you are quite below average. No CA schools will touch you, and the OOS privates who take all the CA overflow still have some very competitive applicants to choose from. I would recommend someone in your shoes to apply to their state MD program and DO programs, but in your case obviously state MDs are out of the question.

Also, take a look at the MSAR if you haven't already. It costs 25 bucks or so, but it sounds like it will save you a LOT of money.

I would focus much much much more of my time if I were you right now trying to get the best grades possible you can at an SMP instead of worrying about the MCAT.

3.3 for an SMP GPA by and large is below what usually leads to MD success. If you cant show you can hack it at the level schools want you to in an SMP, MCAT isnt going to do much for you.

It sounds like you have deep pockets OP (SMP+ Princeton review). I would apply to a lot of MD schools (plus DO obviously) If you do have a preference for MD. Yours stats are not the best... but what else can you do?
You should invest in the MSAR and form a solid school list (please don't just apply to top 30 for example).

Also, take a look at the MSAR if you haven't already. It costs 25 bucks or so, but it sounds like it will save you a LOT of money.

I'll definitely look into the MSAR for this coming year and only apply to schools within my limits. Aside from retaking the MCAT and applying broadly to schools that accept students with my stats. Anything else that I could potentially do?

I would focus much much much more of my time if I were you right now trying to get the best grades possible you can at an SMP instead of worrying about the MCAT.

3.3 for an SMP GPA by and large is below what usually leads to MD success. If you cant show you can hack it at the level schools want you to in an SMP, MCAT isnt going to do much for you.

I understand what you're saying about the SMP GPA, but it's much more difficult than you may think. We're enrolled in medical school classes and graded against their students' curve. I've been averaging a B+ (3.3), which is a "High Pass" equivalent in the medical school classes that I'm enrolled in with the other Georgetown Med Students.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you have deep pockets OP (SMP+ Princeton review). I would apply to a lot of MD schools (plus DO obviously) If you do have a preference for MD. Yours stats are not the best... but what else can you do?
You should invest in the MSAR and form a solid school list (please don't just apply to top 30 for example).

Ofcourse haha I won't make the same mistake as the first time around. I'll apply broadly (mainly lower tier schools) and hope for the best. Other than that, IDK what more I can possible do. Any other suggestions?

I understand what you're saying about the SMP GPA, but it's much more difficult than you may think. We're enrolled in medical school classes and graded against their students' curve. I've been averaging a B+ (3.3), which is a "High Pass" equivalent in the medical school classes that I'm enrolled in with the other Georgetown Med Students.

What the GPAs of people who successfully get into MD schools from your SMP is what's important. If people with GPAs as low as 3.3 routinely get into MD programs(ie not just oh i know a guy who knows a guy who did it with a 3.3) you'll be ok. And at Georgetown, the classes against MS1s are only about half your grade; you get the other half with the grad courses. If your GPA after the grad courses is only 3.3, that's on the low end for MD schools. At most SMPs(almost all of which you are graded against MS1s) 3.3 tends to be below what MD schools tend to accept.

What the GPAs of people who successfully get into MD schools from your SMP is what's important. If people with GPAs as low as 3.3 routinely get into MD programs(ie not just oh i know a guy who knows a guy who did it with a 3.3) you'll be ok. And at Georgetown, the classes against MS1s are only about half your grade; you get the other half with the grad courses. If your GPA after the grad courses is only 3.3, that's on the low end for MD schools. At most SMPs(almost all of which you are graded against MS1s) 3.3 tends to be below what MD schools tend to accept.

This is true. You'd think a B+ average would be enough, but it obviously isn't for most MD medical schools. As for the georgetown program, 3.3 is the average GPA that people graduate with. 85% of people (this includes that ones that dropped out throughout the year) that start the program, get accepted into a medical school by their 2nd application year. Hopefully luck is on my side. Aside from working as hard as possible on my SMP, which I'm definitely doing, any other advice?

This is true. You'd think a B+ average would be enough, but it obviously isn't for most MD medical schools. As for the georgetown program, 3.3 is the average GPA that people graduate with. 85% of people (this includes that ones that dropped out throughout the year) that start the program, get accepted into a medical school by their 2nd application year.

This does includes DO schools and international MD programs. The true US MD number will be lower. How much lower, that would be something that's a good idea for you to try and figure out and calculate.

There's no point giving much more advice until your SMP performance is finished because that will dictate most of the advice given.

This does includes DO schools and international MD programs. The true US MD number will be lower. How much lower, that would be something that's a good idea for you to try and figure out and calculate.

There's no point giving much more advice until your SMP performance is finished because that will dictate most of the advice given.

True true! Guess I should get back to studying then :wacky:

Ofcourse haha I won't make the same mistake as the first time around. I'll apply broadly (mainly lower tier schools) and hope for the best. Other than that, IDK what more I can possible do. Any other suggestions?

Haha all advice can be summarized with
1. Increase your GPA
2. Increase your MCAT
3. Increase your ECs

The only left for you to hear is #3!
But that one is probably not doable unless you take an extra gap year.

I think people are so annoyingly harsh and superior on SDN. It honestly makes me sick. Does making statements like "CA schools won't touch you" or "your GPA hurts you ALOT" make you feel secure about yourself???

OP, obviously your numbers aren't the greatest. But you have other important experiences that if presented well, can get you an interview. Do your absolute best in the program. Apply early and intelligently. Get amazing LORs. Write well. And shoot your shot. You never know where you'll end up. Best of luck to you!

I think people are so annoyingly harsh and superior on SDN. It honestly makes me sick. Does making statements like "CA schools won't touch you" or "your GPA hurts you ALOT" make you feel secure about yourself???
Sometimes it is clearer and more honest to just call it as it is. OP is a real long shot for CA (unless he meets the mission for one of the mission-based schools). He did get constructive observations. If he posts on WAMC, we will all help him make a strategic list.

Reactions: 1 users
If you were in a state with strong IS preference, you would likely be fine if you had a higher GPA (at least 3.5-3.6). Your ECs are awesome. I didn't see this in your OP, but are you a disadvantaged applicant (I would assume not if you can afford to apply to 50 medical schools)? Also being from a rural and/or underserved community for a significant portion of your life prior to age 18 might be beneficial, as would being a minority. There are definitely schools out there that weigh these factors in your overall application.

OP, obviously your numbers aren't the greatest. But you have other important experiences that if presented well, can get you an interview. Do your absolute best in the program. Apply early and intelligently. Get amazing LORs. Write well. And shoot your shot. You never know where you'll end up. Best of luck to you!

Thanks SValley! Nice to hear some nice feedback once in a while haha

If you were in a state with strong IS preference, you would likely be fine if you had a higher GPA (at least 3.5-3.6). Your ECs are awesome. I didn't see this in your OP, but are you a disadvantaged applicant (I would assume not if you can afford to apply to 50 medical schools)? Also being from a rural and/or underserved community for a significant portion of your life prior to age 18 might be beneficial, as would being a minority. There are definitely schools out there that weigh these factors in your overall application.

Unfortunately, I am not a minority. I was born in Armenia, lived in Russia, and then moved to the US when I was 5. My family struggled during our first decade, or so, but ever since we've been doing much better. So, I did live in borderline poverty for the first 15 years of my life, but since then, my family has been doing much better. Thus, the ability to apply to lots of medical schools. I made sure to emphasize this point in my primary and my secondary essays, so idk how much more I can talk about this without sounding too redundant.

Unfortunately, I am not a minority. I was born in Armenia, lived in Russia, and then moved to the US when I was 5. My family struggled during our first decade, or so, but ever since we've been doing much better. So, I did live in borderline poverty for the first 15 years of my life, but since then, my family has been doing much better. Thus, the ability to apply to lots of medical schools. I made sure to emphasize this point in my primary and my secondary essays, so idk how much more I can talk about this without sounding too redundant.

If you lived in poverty for the first 15 years of life, you damn sure can declare yourself disadvantaged in your application. Even if it doesn't affect you much right now, it still impacted you in some way.

People don't come to SDN for hugs and kisses, but realistic advice. The Pollyannaish "rah rah you can do it" attitude helps no one.

Reactions: 2 users
People don't come to SDN for hugs and kisses, but realistic advice. The Pollyannaish "rah rah you can do it" attitude helps no one.

Okay, but nothing I said was pollyannish..?? If you prefer to tear people down and mask it as "honest advice" good for you. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that anyone knows the ins and outs of adcom decisions. You can make educated guesses. That's about it. None of this "advice" is hard and fast rule.

And re: Op's last reply. You're welcome. I'M rooting for you. And you can do it.

Okay, but nothing I said was pollyannish..?? If you prefer to tear people down and mask it as "honest advice" good for you. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that anyone knows the ins and outs of adcom decisions. You can make educated guesses. That's about it. None of this "advice" is hard and fast rule.

And re: Op's last reply. You're welcome. I'M rooting for you. And you can do it.
You are aware that both Goro and gyngn ARE on the adcom at their respective medical schools, aren't you?

Hello everyone,

This is my 1st post on SDN so forgive me for my ignorance if this isn't the proper location to post such a question. Also, only respond if you're willing to offer constructive criticism please.

So here's my situation:
3.43 cgpa + 3.3 sgpa undergrad with extremely strong upward trend. 3.73 average last 2 years of undergrad.
29 MCAT (8PS/10V/11BS)
Ca resident/Not URM
300 Hours as CNA (certified nursing assistant)
150+ hours of shadowing
5+ strong LOR's
200+ hours of research with a published article (not 1st author).
200 hours of additional clinical work
Leadership: President of cultural club during undergrad and manager of student center.
2nd Time Applying. No interviews the first time because I sent in secondaries late and didn't apply broadly.

So what I'm currently planning on doing is sending in my primary during the first day that the application cycle opens, but listing on it that I'm planning on retaking my MCAT towards the middle of July. Following the day that I retake my MCAT, I'm planning on sending back secondaries immediately, which shouldn't take too long because I'm a re-applicant and already have a few "templates" to work off of.

Do you guys think that it's worth retaking the MCAT? Realistically, I'd probably be scoring around a (33 +/-1 point).

Any thoughts about my current situation/plans/chances? Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Non-URM from CA is tough enough with good stats.

Retake and get at LEAST a 33. Your GPA isn't very good so you need a high MCAT to mitigate that, especially since schools will see a 29 from before. Also the poor grades at SMP are not reassuring for any Adcom as was said above.

If I was an Adcom I would be very hesitant to let you into my school simply because of the underwhelming stats, although you seem to have covered your bases with all the boxes checked for ECs! Retake the MCAT when you are confident you can get a 33+

You are aware that both Goro and gyngn ARE on the adcom at their respective medical schools, aren't you?

That's all well and good. But that's 2 out of how many MD/DO schools........? Mind you, I never said anything was incorrect. I brought up the lack of tact and insensitivity that runs rampant on this site. It's just as unproductive as lying to someone.

Just in case someone is still skimming through this thread, just wanted to post an update:

I retook the MCAT and scored a 516 (129/127/130/130) and have gotten 2 MD interviews and 5 DO interviews so far this cycle. Bottom line is don't give up, no matter what your situation is! ;)

Reactions: 10 users
Just in case someone is still skimming through this thread, just wanted to post an update:

I retook the MCAT and scored a 516 (129/127/130/130) and have gotten 2 MD interviews and 5 DO interviews so far this cycle. Bottom line is don't give up, no matter what your situation is! ;)
Proud of you OP! Kill those interviews! :)

One more update to post on this forum...

I have more great news and hopefully this thread can inspire future students that didn't have the best initial stats: I ended up being accepted to CNUCOM and couldn't be more excited! Easily my top choice from all of the schools I interviewed at and I get to stay in California for an MD program!!!:highfive::highfive:

Thank you to all of the good advice and support that you people gave me on this thread. Good luck out there everyone and keep working hard!

One more update to post on this forum...

I have more great news and hopefully this thread can inspire future students that didn't have the best initial stats: I ended up being accepted to CNUCOM and couldn't be more excited! Easily my top choice from all of the schools I interviewed at and I get to stay in California for an MD program!!!:highfive::highfive:

Thank you to all of the good advice and support that you people gave me on this thread. Good luck out there everyone and keep working hard!
I am very happy for you that you did get an acceptance...and one in CA at that! I hope that you are able to secure your private loans at a reasonable rate. And I also hope you are able to position yourself in your future career so that you do not need to use the payback options that will not be available to you at Northstate. Best of luck to you and congrats.

Haha thank you! I haven't gotten around to looking at the loans yet, but I hope that I can also get them at a decent rate for good terms as well. Will look into all of that soon! :D

I agree. This would get you rejected from my school. You might have some luck with the newest DO schools.