Podiatry What are my chances for residency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low GPA: 2.9 with 2 years left.
Have never had problems working with difficult people, research, ECs, etc.

I've heard for interviews, most programs only care about GPA and 1st time pass for Boards 1.
I understand and fully accept that top programs will auto-screen my app out.
I guess I'm just nervous I won't be able to find a decent program that will take me. Hell I havn't even clerked yet so I am probably being neurotic.

Should I just put the blinders on and work harder to bring my grades up?
Is there anything else I can do besides making sure I pass boards the 1st time and kill it in clerkships?

Did you talk to the appropriate faculty/dean at your school who works with residency placement? What did this person tell you?

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to my faculty advisor 1st year with concerns (low self esteem, anxiety).

They were very encouraging and emphasized keeping up my GPA. There were marked improvements the following Spring and Summer (2.6 --> 2.9).
I understand it is still very low.

I will come in and talk to them again, I had not even thought of asking. It is embarrassing to bring it up when everyone else seems to be doing so well academically.
If you show an upward trend and do well on standardized exams you have a chance especially if you do some grad school. You need to stop being embarrassed for asking about this as it's your future and it's what they are there for.

Status
Not open for further replies.