What are my chances for PA school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak1339

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior biochemistry student graduating in May with an anticipated GPA of 3.3. I also just graduated paramedic school which I did at another school but simultaneous to my college studies. Throughout all of this, I have worked part time for two years now as an EMT in the city near my school (which opened the door for paramedic school for me).

Many of my classmates are getting accepted into PA schools and it's making me worry about what kind of chances I'll have when I apply, so I want to get a good idea of how to proceed during my gap year (whether to continue trying for PA or go for something else). I know a competitive GPA is at least 3.6, and that mine doesn't really stack up to that. One of the big reasons for me becoming a paramedic was to differentiate myself from my classmates (most of whom are using scribing as their HCE). As a result of the path I decided to take, my GPA has taken a bit of a hit, but I know that I've gained some invaluable experience in return. My hope is that schools will appreciate more of what I've done at this age and look less on my GPA. I just turned 21 and I am proud that I get to graduate at this age as a paramedic with a biochemistry degree, but I just hope I didn't make the wrong move by not focusing more on grades like everyone else. What are your thoughts on my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You can definately get in somewhere with a 3.3 and decent health care experience, which you have since you are a new paramedic. That puts you in position to apply to the schools that want good HCE. You might need to rack up some hours to fit into their required amount of hands on time, but you are in a great position to do that. Additionally, your degree is in biochemistry, which is more impressive than a business degree or something else along those lines that a lot of pre PAs have. It's easy to rock a high gpa in prereqs when you are taking exercise science coursework... Harder if you are taking biochemistry exams every two weeks. I guesse a pertinent question should be "what is your science GPA?", because that might either help or hurt you a little.

It's tempting to look at the folks you know that are getting into the PA programs with their 3.6+ GPAs and no real HCE that matches yours, but don't focus on where you stand when compared to those folks. I interviewed at a very high HCE threshold school (years ago, but things are still similar there today). After interviewing among folks that were all current healthcare workers, I realized that I didn't want to go to a school where my cohort didn't meet those standards, and I didn't even bother attending my interviews at low HCE level schools... It made that much of an impression on me. But that meant that I had no more options that year, and origionally planned to try again the next year when I didn't get in. You might be happy with any outcome that involves you just getting in somewhere, and that's ok too. I would apply broadly and dabble in sending applications even to schools that mostly look at high gpa/low HCE applicants, because you never know. But most of the bang for your buck will be schools that actually care about HCE.

For your gap year... Work a bunch to get hours. You may be able to get in enough to qualify for hours if a school will accept "anticipated hours", which can work for you if you are full time. I guesse if you apply early, you won't have a lot of HCE to put down, and if you apply late to get more HCE in, you'll be more disadvantaged as time goes on, but it's up to you. It's not the ideal situation, but apart from maybe retaking some courses, there's not much you can do with your gap year besides maybe rounding out volunteer hours (which they also like to see). With all the credits you've taken, you might not make much of a dent in your gpa with more coursework, but doing better on any prereqs with retakes would be the best use of time if you feel compelled to do more schoolwork. So maybe studying hard for the GRE (for schools that care... like low HCE programs) and working seems like your best bet.

When I applied, I figured that my 3.3 meant that my gap year would be a practice run for the next year, and was surprised to get interview invites, which was great because then I thought that I'd get some practice in on those. I still thought I was behind the rest of the pack, but later realized that if you get the interview, you have as good of a chance as the next guy at that point, and it was mine to lose. I think I was still taking coursework for some specific prereqs for a couple nursing schools durring my gap year when I applied, in addition to working. The prereqs worked for both PA and RN school, so I figured it was worth my time, and my work paid for them, so why not. I also spent some time practicing for the gre, which I hated doing.

I think you will do well overall. Temper your expectations and focus narrowly on each step and treat the process as a learning activity. If it takes a couple of cycles to get in, then that's ok because the second time will help you be on your game to get into better programs than the table scraps you might be offered the first time when you aren't as well versed in the application process. Ask yourself if you would rather try two cycles to get into a program that really fits you, or apply and get in the first time to some place halfway across the country that is really expensive and isn't a good match. When all your friends are getting acceptance letters, you might feel like the latter is a better deal, but if one more cycle of applications means you can get into a program that has clinical rotations near where you want to end up, and is affordable, and has great peers, then I would set my sights on that and not get discouraged.

Another option is taking the MCAT and applying to med school via a DO program. The used to allow folks to retake courses and they would take the higher grade, and they were a little easier to get into. At the end, you are still a physician. Pay is a lot more, and a lot more options, especially if you are young... Like 21 with a biochemistry degree. I'm not sure if I would do it, even with the large payout down the road, but it's something a lot of PAs will tell you they wish they would have done. But in my mind, four more years of school, 3 years of residency, and maybe more is a lot of time. Money is good, but you have bills to pay back unless you do military medicine. But that's there for you.

Apply to DO programs and/or older PA programs, which appreciate experience, and you should get in somewhere. your stats are similar to what mine were back in the day, although I had >10,000 hrs as an er tech and paramedic. you will appreciate your medic experience where ever your path takes you in health care. good luck.