What are my chances for DO medical school admittance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guajiro_11

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have been doing a lot of research on different healthcare professions that I could choose to go into as a career, and I honestly feel that becoming a physician (Psychiatrist) is my calling in life. The issue is that I had this realization a bit too late in my undergrad career and had a pretty bad semester my sophomore year (C+, 2 Cs). I just graduated with a BS in Human Bio and I am planning on taking two gap years to strengthen my application. My stats and other information about myself can be found below:

GPA:

- Upward trend with many mostly A's in my last two years. Planning on doing a DIY post bacc, aiming to raise my science GPA to at least a 3.5.
-- Overall: 3.4
-- Science: 3.37
-- Non-science: 3.44

MCAT:

- Have not taken it but am confident that I will put in the work during my first gap year to prepare and score high.

Extracurriculars:

- Student Athlete
-- Soccer (Starter, Conference Champ, leader)

- Clinical Hours
-- None, but planning on getting this done in the next two years.

- Volunteer Hours
-- Homeless Shelter ~250 hrs
-- Hospital Volunteer ~ 100 hrs
-- After School Program ~ 30 hrs

- Research
-- Currently doing research with my Psychology professor. Should come out to 100+ hours

- Other activities
-- Lead Singer in a band
-- Local Chess Club member

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this thread, have a great day!!

Members don't see this ad.

It comes down to how you do on the MCAT and how much clinical experience you get. Also shadow multiple specialities (including primary care and a DO if possible) for a total of 50 or more hours along the way.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive me for assuming from your username but as a Latino I got into DO schools and an MD school with a worse science GPA (3.2) and about the same cumulative GPA of 3.4. I also did a small research project that wasn't even published on my own using computer software my senior year. What I did during my gap year was work full-time as at a hospital and study for the MCAT on my evenings/days off, and then I took the MCAT in July and sent in my applications around the same time. July is a little late for MD applications but still fine for DO. I think you're in really good shape if you can get some good rec letters and work in some shadowing and clinical hours, especially if you're planning on taking two years off.

Reactions: 1 users
Forgive me for assuming from your username but as a Latino I got into DO schools and an MD school with a worse science GPA (3.2) and about the same cumulative GPA of 3.4. I also did a small research project that wasn't even published on my own using computer software my senior year. What I did during my gap year was work full-time as at a hospital and study for the MCAT on my evenings/days off, and then I took the MCAT in July and sent in my applications around the same time. July is a little late for MD applications but still fine for DO. I think you're in really good shape if you can get some good rec letters and work in some shadowing and clinical hours, especially if you're planning on taking two years off.
Ya tu sabes lol thank you for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 users