This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cincyy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!! I am new to this forum and could use some insight. So I just completed my first year of undergrad as a pre med student and it did not go as well as I wanted it to. I have a 3.2 GPA right now. I got C’s in both Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II. I also got a C+ in Applied Calculus. I feel like I have no chance for medical school now. I am deciding if I should retake both Gen Chems next summer to see if that would help my GPA. I am shadowing right now at a few hospitals. I am currently working while volunteering. I am involved in two organizations on campus while also being a tour guide. I got overwhelmed I think my first year and I am ready to get 4.0s next semester and work very hard. Basically the point of this post is, do you think I still have a chance for either MD or DO? Thanks guys!!!:) Oh and by the way I am a white, female, Ohio resident. I am majoring in Biology, working towards double minors in psychology and chemistry, and receiving double certificates in Pre Medicine and Deaf Studies. Are they any medical students that have tips to make me a more competitive candidate if I still have hope?

Members don't see this ad.

Grades come first. Don't stretch yourself too thin doing a million ECs at once if your grades are going to suffer. Just focus on graduating with the highest GPA possible to put yourself in the best position when applying.

If you're pulling Cs in Gen Chem than I would not suggest a double minor with Chem. Just minor in psych.

To answer your question, YES, you still have a chance, it's only your first year and a 3.2 GPA could easily be raised to >3.5 in your remaining time.

This is your first year. Things are subject to change.

Reactions: 1 user
If you continue with your current habits, NO. Drop the chem minor like above said as well I would say to pull back on the EC/ volunteering for a couple semesters. Get control of your study and when you are making As then start to bring the ECs back in. Better to take a GAP year for ECs with a high GPA than to try and recover from GPA damage.