This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LevLove1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TL;DR Freshman 35% completion rate with a F and a C on transcript (C could possibly be removed) with other aspects to my application (work, research, volunteer and extracurricular) do I still have a chance or should I look for new career possibilities?

Read further for reasoning and further detail

Hello,

So, this is really embarrassing and I am prepared to get answers that I do not want to hear but I really need to know the honest truth. I am 23 (going on 24) years old and am a freshman at a 4 year university. This is not, however, my first time attending. I have attended off and on since 2011 and have not done well. After dropping too many classes due to depression from a traumatic event (I was locked in a room for 3 months unable to contact anyone, emotionally abusive boyfriend turned insanely jealous and basically kidnapped me). So I lost my scholarship and then lost financial aid after that. After losing aid even when I tried to go back it was difficult to keep up with tuition payments so I continued to drop out (not my brightest move, I should have saved up and then go back like this semester, but I was foolish). So now we get to the important bits....

I am a Freshman. I have one F and one C on my transcript as well as a few A's and B's. I can probably replace the C by retaking and using their retake/replace/recompute but I am not sure I can the F for a different reason.

Also I have a completion rate as of now of about (rounded up) 35%.

I am getting Financial Aid back so paying out of pocket will no longer be a problem so no more dropping classes.

If I complete and pass (with an A every time) every class I take from here on out, as well as working in the medical field already (not any certified position, just a Patient Care Assistant), as well as trying to do some extracurricular activities and if I do very well on the MCATs do I still have a fighting chance?

When I say fighting chance I don't mean going to med school in the Carribean (not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not what I would want to do), I mean getting into a decent program. Am I ruined or can I still save myself?

Please be honest but not rude. I have only recently been able to come back to school with a passion and so far none of my advisers or teachers or any faculty at my university will tell me if I'm ruined or not.

thank you, I am sorry this is long I will provide a shorter version.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If that is you in the avatar, may I suggest that you protect your anonymity on the internet?
Sorry, I signed up with Facebook and it automatically took my profile picture. But I would like advice on the question above.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point nobody knows what will happen. All you can do is work hard and see where you are at the end of second year. Don't count on getting all As from now on. It's a good goal but be realistic. Do you have a GPA at this point? You can retake the C and your college will replace it but you have to report all grades when applying to med school. But don't worry about any of that now. Just work hard, keep up with your various activities and most importantly take care of your physical and mental health. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, I signed up with Facebook and it automatically took my profile picture. But I would like advice on the question above.

If that is still you in your avatar, I do not think you are suited to be a doctor. Maybe with your physical attributes you would be good in Hollywood? They usually have to use expensive CGI to simulate dinosaurs!

To actually answer your question, there are a lot of schools that value reinvention. If you ace the remainder of your classes and the MCAT, I think you could still have a good shot at med school.

Reactions: 1 user