This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Johnson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry I meant Canada & US not California xD

3.5 GPA (OMSAS scale), 510 MCAT 131/125/125/129
- this is my only MCAT (although I voided a test 3 years ago, which is the previous version)

I was consistently getting 127+ for CARS and 130+ for BIO during prep but had an anxiety attack :(
Heard from a lot of people that it is still a decent MCAT score.

Probably will retake in summer if i dont get any interviews by feb/march.

Honors Bsc. from UofT, Asian, M, PR in Canada.

I am part of 4 clinical studies/projects and have another 2 I am going to be part of during the break while I wait for my results (I applied this cycle for all Ontario schools). I like cardiology & neonatology, and all studies involve PDA management, ASD catheter studies etc, could be useful i guess?

Several poster and platform presentations with my personal project (first author). Will be published within a year. Attended an annual conference for pediatric research to present this study in California. the other 3 are already being written are to be submitted within a few months (co-author!).

I have many long-term volunteer experiences in hospitals,hospice,nursing homes, volunteer for homeless (7 consecutive years, 2,3 years for some)

5 years of leadership experience,
9 years in a community orchestra (which donates all the raised funds idk where),
6 years in a pretty good school orchestra, performance at Carnegie hall.
A few shadowing experiences, attending rounds and meetings conducted by my PI.

I have strong references, from my PI, a fellow I worked with, etc. and can get ~ 5,6 more strong ones.

With my crappy GPA, I hoped that I might make it into the few schools that are lenient with the minimum GPAs (Queens, Northern, McMaster) but seems like I have a low chance, as McMaster looks into CARs score and I have a crappy one (125).

I am interested in MD schools, could you guys help me with a list of schools in the states?

Thank you!

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is that your only MCAT? What is your AMCAS gpa?

There are 71 schools that consider Canadians.
51 consider non Canadian internationals.
Buy the MSAR.
Identify the schools that matriculated at least two internationals.
Eliminate the mission based schools.
Apply to the ones whose median MCAT is at or below 510.

With regard to CA, the school that matriculated the largest number of internationals was Loma Linda, a mission based, 7th Day Adventist school (n=9). Stanford was next with 5. As you do not appear to be a strong candidate for these two schools, odds in CA are vanishingly small. The only other CA school that matriculated any internationals was UCLA with 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that your only MCAT? What is your AMCAS gpa?

There are 71 schools that consider Canadians.
51 consider non Canadian internationals.
Buy the MSAR.
Identify the schools that matriculated at least two internationals.
Eliminate the mission based schools.
Apply to the ones whose median MCAT is at or below 510.

With regard to CA, the school that matriculated the largest number of internationals was Loma Linda, a mission based, 7th Day Adventist school (n=9). Stanford was next with 5. As you do not appear to be a strong candidate for these two schools, odds in CA are vanishingly small. The only other CA school that matriculated any internationals was UCLA with 2.

Hi thanks for your help,

sorry for the confusion, I meant to say Canada & US.
and it is my only MCAT score of the new version. I took an old MCAT 3,4 years ago and I voided that, as I heard that having multiple scores is not good (was afraid of a downwards trend or something)

my AMCAS GPA I believe is 3.53

Any school in the states that would take me in plz!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thanks for your help,

sorry for the confusion, I meant to say Canada & US.
and it is my only MCAT score of the new version. I took an old MCAT 3,4 years ago and I voided that, as I heard that having multiple scores is not good (was afraid of a downwards trend or something)

my AMCAS GPA I believe is 3.53

Any school in the states that would take me in plz!
Without a state of residency, you should focus on private schools where your MCAT is near the median and your gpa is above the 10th percentile.

As gyngyn said, buy the MSAR. It's only like 25 bucks. That being said, here's a list to get you started:

NYMC
SUNY Upstate
George Washington
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Commonwealth
Jefferson
MCW
Kentucky (??)
Albert Eintein
Dartmouth
Oakland
Tulane
Emory
Saint Louis
Mayo? (Might like your research)

Frankly, your MCAT falls below median for all of them except for Michigan sate, Central Michigan, MCW, Oakland. Your GPA falls below 25% percentile for all but Tulane, Rosy Franklin, Central Michigan, Michigan State, NYMC. Central Michigan wants ties to Central Michigan. Several of these schools are also extremely low yield (Jefferson, Tulane, Rosy Franklin, George Washington, NYMC). Not to mention that stat expectations are higher for internationals/Canadians. I'd cautiously say that your chances are low - though your great ECs/Research might make up for it.