What are my chances at these Canadian schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emilyxu07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I am a new member and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

I just finished 2nd year in Molecular Bio and I am considering applying to Ottawa, Queen's (dream university since my family is from around there), McMaster and Toronto. With these stats, do I have a reasonable chance if I apply this October or should I just wait another year and apply then? Is there any university out of those 4 that I simply should not bother to apply for?

GPA (without summer): 3.93
GPA (with summer): 3.88

MCAT: Writing in mid-August

EC: I think these are average. I am a bit concerned that my volunteer work is not enough or not very 'medicine related.' The lack of publications also concerns me.

-Lab volunteer in 2 labs (One was for 1 year and another is 4 months and continuing) - no publications
-Shadowing a family physician for around 8-10 hours/week for 3 months and continuing (also working on a clinical research projects with lots of patient interaction with her)
-Founded an active university club (for an organization I have been involved with since the past 4 years) - not medicine related
-Exec/founding member for another university club - not medicine related
-Other university clubs: Active member of student society for Mol Bio - lead some social/academic events (1 year), General member of 1 medicine related club (1 year), part of the organizing team for a charity gala (1 year)
-One entrance scholarship for marks, no other awards
-High school: Major leadership role in 2 clubs (3 years), wrote for school newspaper (2 years), involvement in organization of smaller charity events, relay for life participant (2 years), peer mentor (2 years), several academic awards.
-Work experience: Lots and lots but all retail (clothing) and admin (had to help family)

References: 1 prof who taught me, 1 research lab supervisor, 1 from volunteer contact

I would really appreciate your opinion and advice!

Members don't see this ad.