What are my chances (another one)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.88
BCPM GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 34Q (PS-10, VR-11, BS-13)

Utah resident

EC's:
Volunteer 3 months @ battered women's shelter
Volunteer @ local hospital ER for about 1 year (4 hrs/week)
Shadowed family medicine physician 40 hrs
Chairman at University for service committee which supports local Head Start programs for one year
Tutor for one year for Gchem, Ochem, and human anatomy
Trained phlebotomist, 32 hours clinical training in a hospital w/ about 3 months training in classroom
Taught human anatomy in university human cadaver lab for one semester
Conducted research for about 6 months in microbiology, 3 poster presentations, 1 oral presentation, hopefully a publication sometime, received a r$2,500 research grant for undergraduate research

Here's a tentative list of schools that I might like to apply to, though I will probably end up applying to only 13-15 schools:
GWU
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Tufts
U of Michigan
Mayo
St. Louis U
Creighton
Albany
Case Western
Ohio State
OHSU
Jefferson
Temple
Vanderbilt
Baylor
U of Utah
U of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
MC Wisconsin
Any suggestions of schools to take off or add would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, BTW, I am 24 and a white male. Don't know if that makes a difference.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem sort of average. Your MCAT and GPA seem good. You don't really have a lot of research but you've got some.

One question: are you using your phlebotomy training for a job? If not, your clinical is average. If Yes, your clinical experience could be above average and you could have good material to write about/talk about in applications/interviews. I've heard repeatedly that adcoms don't really care so much about the licensing/training for EMT/phlebotomy as much as the experience working/volunteering as an EMT/phlebotomist.

If I were you i'd apply early and broadly. Looks like your list is a lot of safety schools (with exceptions of Baylor, UMich, Vandy, Mayo). And it's definitely true in medicine that there is no such thing as a safety school. If I were you I would add a bunch of "dream" schools and some more middle tier schools.

Some other lower/middle MCAT/GPA schools you might add: NYMC, Rochester, Albert Einstein, OHSU (Oregon), Wake Forest.

You would be well served looking at an MSAR to add more to this list.

I'm fine with being average!!:) Just as long as I'm not below average.
In answer to your question...No, I am not using the phlebotomy training as a job. Unfortunately I couldn't really work as a phlebotomist because of my school schedule. I am continuing to volunteer at a local ER. What other kinds of clinical experience would you or others suggest? I do plan on applying early (mid June, can't apply June 4th, because I didn't send in my official transcripts to AMCAS till this week). As far as suggestions for mid tier schools, where does everyone suggest? I think I might add NYMC, Rochester, Albert Einstein, and Wake Forest. I already have OHSU on my list. Besides my state school, that would probably be where I would most enjoying going....I love the Pacific Northwest. FYI, I do have an MSAR. It's a great tool in this process. Thanks for the suggestions Manyac86!!:)

I don't think you have to have many extraordinary ECs with your MCAT/GPA to get into a good school, but you do have to write a stellar PS highlighting what makes you stand out. Low stats + poor PS gets people out of the game quickly. Low stats + stellar PS keeps people running a bit longer with a potential for success. High stats + poor PS keeps people running a bit longer as well with a potential for success. High stats + stellar PS = nailing it!

Of course LORs, volunteer work, research experience matter....but in my opinion, stats and PS are the two most important ingredients.

Thanks for the encouragement paradocs. It's funny that you mention my PS because I am just in the process of making the last revisions. Hopefully it turns out okay. Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks for the encouragement paradocs. It's funny that you mention my PS because I am just in the process of making the last revisions. Hopefully it turns out okay. Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks! And I hope that you too will be accepted at the school of your choice. It's totally doable, especially when you've got such a great MCAT score and GPA.

Get your PS edited by as many people as you can. Parents, friends, professors, med students, everyone you can think of and get a hold of.

GOOD LUCK!