What are my chances and what schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threeofthree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been following SDN post for a while viewing trying to find some advice for my situation. I figured it would be best to post my stats and see what advice I get. So here they are:

Undergrad cGPA: 3.43
Undergrad sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 506 (127/124/127/128 did poorly on CARS which surprised me)

EC's:
Worked for one year (~2000 hours) as a clinical research coordinator which entailed plenty of patient care exposure.
Did two and half years of research.
Six months of volunteering at hospitals.
Board member of non-profit aimed at helping youth and immigrant community for almost 6 years.

Misc:

NY resident.
Not URM.

And now I am getting a masters. I will be applying next cycle (2017-2018). I know my GPA for my undergrad is terribly low. I have a F's and unofficial withdrawals due to having to drop out to care of my family. It hasn't been an easy road to get where I am. I ended my undergrad with a strong upward trend (4.0). I will be retaking the MCAT and I'm pretty confident I will do better. Oh, I'm 24 by the way.

So my ask is what are my chances with MD/DO schools?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are those your GPAs with the Fs? Your sGPA is very low for MD and low for DO? Allopathic schools won't combine your undergraduate and graduate grades but I think DO does. What is your Masters in? Your best bet would be to retake C/D/F grades and make use of the DO grade replacement policy. MD schools do not replace grades like DO schools do. If you can get your GPAs up some you might have luck at DO schools.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD consider these schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Any new private schools that open in 2018 (Seton Hall, etc.)

I can't recommend SUNY-SB, U VM, nor Western MI

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD consider these schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Any new private schools that open in 2018 (Seton Hall, etc.)

Thank you both for your inputs, I will most definitely apply to many DO schools. I am looking for MD schools that are realistic. @Faha @Goro