what are my chance for anesthesiology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lost75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a board certified internist currently in practice after graduating from my UIHC residency 3 year ago. I am dissatifed with primary care and would like to pursue a residency in anesthesiology starting July 2009 if there is any opening. I have talk to a PD where I live of pursuing a residency but he informed me that my chance of getting anesthesiology after graduating is slim due to funding policy by medicare. Is this true for all program out there. Are there any hope for me to change field.

lost75

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily the case. The program will only get 1/2 the GME subsidy they would get for someone who has not finished a residency, but there are plenty of programs who don't have that problem.

Most of the 2009 spots have already been filled through the match. What you need to do is contact the PD at every program you may want to go to and send a CV and cover letter. Many programs still have an outside the match spot or two, and now is the time to get one. If you wait, they'll be gone too.

You could also go through the match for a 2010 spot.

thank you for your advice. Wish me luck on getting a future spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi lost75,

I was in your exact position about four years ago. I completed a residency in FP and did not enjoy my work. Programs may take a hit financially if they take someone who trained in another specialty. They continue to take trained physicians because they usually make up for any decreased funding with their increased experience and maturity. Programs can find money to fund a resident if they want to. Keep looking around. You should be able to find a program. Most programs would love to have a boarded internist among its' ranks. Do not give up.
Programs will start taking out of the match applications in about a month. I applied 8/04 for a position that started 7/05.
Cambie

Last edited:
Thank for the positive input, but unfortunately my past demon has continue to haunt me--poor board score--thus most programs will throw out my application on site. I thought being board-certified means something, not sure about this anymore. Again, thanks for your input.

Thank for the positive input, but unfortunately my past demon has continue to haunt me--poor board score--thus most programs will throw out my application on site. I thought being board-certified means something, not sure about this anymore. Again, thanks for your input.

Well golly, I sure hope our backwater specialty will find a way to accommodate an FMG with poor board scores who will only get the program 1/2 the GME money. Giddyup!

Well golly, I sure hope our backwater specialty will find a way to accommodate an FMG with poor board scores who will only get the program 1/2 the GME money. Giddyup!

Hey Funk,

you're cold.

Cambie

Last edited: