What advice do you have for ranking programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1131415

Please don’t say follow your gut. What does that even mean? To me, that would mean programs with people who were super nice and made me feel wanted should be ranked higher. Maybe some programs try to minimize bias more than others and won’t outright say “you should come here” or “you would do well here.” I’m probably overthinking it..

Members don't see this ad.

Depends so much on what your priorities are. I have a strong regional preference, and so my list very much reflects that as the top 4 programs are all there because of location. If it weren't for that, my number 5 would actually be my number 1, and numbers 3 and 4 would be waaaaay down on the list, hah.

My other thing is I really value having free time to spend with my family. The program I ranked number 1 is actually a no name program, and number 2 is a nationally recognized name, but number 2 would have me working some weekends, so that is why its number 2. I spent some time asking myself if this was pure laziness on my part, but after reflecting on it, I really don't think it is. The employers that are out there simply don't care that much about the name on your resume, they care mostly that you are board certified in your specialty and after that I think the main thing will be years of experience. Although having a big name could possibly help if you want to go straight into academics, so that is worth considering.