Medical What adversity essay topic should I go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these topics for my adversity essay:

1. Working through a shoulder injury that left me unable to engage in most physical activity for a few months. I would speak on the embarrassment of being unable to do simple tasks like putting on a shirt without someone's help, my mindset during the recovery process, and the insight it provided into being (temporarily) disabled.

2. I worked to launch a disaster-relief initiative for the Caribbean, but ran into challenges in the technological side. The challenges I overcame were: a) making up for my lack of knowledge by recruiting people and networking, b) managing working on the initiative on top of courses/ECs, and c) the general difficulties of ideating and creating a new initiative. I would mostly speak on the leadership experience that this experience provided and I would mention how the leadership skills came in handy in future activities I engaged in.

3. Balancing a full time (40 hrs/week) research workload with coursework/ECs. The main takeaway for me was time management skills and being able to recognize the early signs of burnout and alleviate them through various stress management strategies.

I'm leaning towards #1, but I feel as though I don't have a strong reason for why I had to overcome that adversity. I feel like many sports injury adversity essays are related to how the injury prevented the writer from engaging in a sport/activity that is a core part of their identity. The injury did prevent me from engaging in most physical activity, which I do really enjoy, but I don't have some kind of activity or accomplishment in fitness that I can use to back that up.

Any thoughts/advice would be welcome!
Forget #3.

2 > 1

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.