What a Bargin...Hard, Responsible Worker for Cheap Govt Prices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfingmd

EM Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ross Grad...only applied to EM this year, several interviews at great programs but went unmatched. Non Traditional applicant...tons of life experiences, amazing LOR's and Honor Clinical marks....unimpressive board scores, all first time pass. Just a poor test taker. Im looking for ANY PGY-1 right now as I hate being home without a job...I want to start using this expensive paper degree and I can start tomorrow. Cant wait to get in the mix. Message me for more info. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

another hard worker for cheaper prices here.. buy me buy me..:laugh:

You should apply for a less competitive specialty next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the earth shattering insight tetris. Truly wise words

well played.

I feel you boss, I did the same thing this year and feel the same way. Good luck, cause there aint anything out there right now. Probably have to wait a little while and hopefully something will open up for us.

Good luck

Thank ALB...yeah, ive been on the phones and I havent found anything yet. Think I might just have to wait a month or so and see who either doesnt show, backs out or decides they dont like whatever it is. Let them try being in these shoes. Good luck to you also. Enjoy the ride!

Surfingmd same shoes here as well - 20+ years paramedic - loads of teaching experience too - all honors in clinical - several interviews in EM no match.

Keep looking stay dilligent we'll all get something eventually.

Yep...all the PD's i spoke with said it was a very competitive EM year. Alot of excellent applicants went unmatched. Who knows what the future has in store with more MD's applying every year and spots not increasing at the same rate. Fun fun fun....

Need to set your sights lower.

Starting 3ish years ago, the match became a different beast.
Using FM as a model, the match/fill rate was in the 70s%, over the past years has been 92+%.

IM went from 80s% to 99.7+%

I could go on with other specialties, but you should get the point. Now is the time as it used to be for being competitive. Good grades and scores and nepotism.

Well i am in the same boat as you guys !! didnt match .....I hope things work out for all of us!!!

Need to set your sights lower.

Starting 3ish years ago, the match became a different beast.
Using FM as a model, the match/fill rate was in the 70s%, over the past years has been 92+%.

IM went from 80s% to 99.7+%

I could go on with other specialties, but you should get the point. Now is the time as it used to be for being competitive. Good grades and scores and nepotism.

good grades and stuff is fine but this nepotism sux :/ :thumbdown:

Welcome to the politics of medicine. Often it's who you know, or it could be what you know. Or a combination.

None the less, time to get some palm time. Research can help.

ye i know shikima.. i went unmatched this season too.. had good scores and everything.. one of the programs i ived at had 2 spots in scramble.. i even knew a assoc prof there.. but she said she couldn't do anything cuz pd already had some other 2 ppl he knew..:rolleyes:..

Just a question for everyone unmatched out there....anyone have any luck finding programs with open spots? Thanks