Whaaaaoooooo!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QbanOD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this is some bulls@#$%^_***it, its really not fair if this is accurate.:eek:I really dont c myself doing anything else other than optometry, but i expected a greater compensation since it is 8 years of study, where on the other hand a chemical engineer's career is for 4 years and start out better than that.:mad:

Optometrist - Pay and progression

Pay

Optometrists earn:

• $58,000 a year in their first year of employment
  • $69,000 to $85,000 with two to five years' experience
  • $85,000 to $104,000 a year with five years' experience or more.
Optometrists who are self-employed can earn more than this.

Career Progression

Optometrists can progress into management positions or establish their own practice. They can also take up academic positions in teaching or research, or work in the optical industry as suppliers of optical equipment.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums... enjoy your stay.

Ok this is some bulls@#$%^_***it, its really not fair if this is accurate.:eek:I really dont c myself doing anything else other than optometry, but i expected a greater compensation since it is 8 years of study, where on the other hand a chemical engineer's career is for 4 years and start out better than that.:mad:

Pay

Optometrists earn:

Career Progression

Optometrists can progress into management positions or establish their own practice. They can also take up academic positions in teaching or research, or work in the optical industry as suppliers of optical equipment.

Well, its a career which you will hopefully love and wake up every morning happy to go to work. I know ODs don't make a lot compared to lets say MDs...But you can make more if you have a "business mind". The ODs I worked for made atleast 500,000$. They are a couple, had two offices, 2-3 associates and 8-10 employees. If you can handle all the business work and be an OD at the same time, ie. WORK VERY HARD, you can make a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
do what you enjoy, if you're good at it, you'll make enough money. i'm an engineering major and i realize the same thing, but i'm still going with opto because i know i'll enjoy it more in the long run

Pay

Optometrists earn:

Career Progression

how old are you ?

Those are average earning i believe and also it depends how much you put into your career as an OD. Both the optometrists that i shadowed were making roughly $80 ever 20 minutes on a full load day. you do the math on that. i think if dedicated to the field you will make more than those averages.

use your business hat.

Both the optometrists that i shadowed were making roughly $80 ever 20 minutes on a full load day.

80 dollars ever 20 minutes? what the heck does that mean?

80 dollars ever 20 minutes? what the heck does that mean?

I think it means that eack eye exam costs $80 and there are 20 mins slots in the day for eye exams...

My Optometrist charges $115 every 20 mins...

Those are average earning i believe and also it depends how much you put into your career as an OD. Both the optometrists that i shadowed were making roughly $80 ever 20 minutes on a full load day. you do the math on that. i think if dedicated to the field you will make more than those averages.

Um I think someone is forgetting about insurance companies. Whatever they charge for exams doesn't go straight in their pocket. What you're suggesting is that the ODs you shadowed make about 500K a year. While that may be possible, it's not probable by any means.

the patient pays upfront. half of the 500 Grand CA dollars atleast goes toward overhead, i would assume.

Well in canada im not sure but i dont think the insurance is as grand as in usa. One doctor i shadowed worked in corporate- commercial and made $60 every 20 minutes (per patient bacially) clean money, well besides taxes but everyone is subjected to that at the end of the year. Anyway the eye glass store payed for everything of his expenses so if you find the right place i think it is a very profitable compared to stats.