Wet lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophtholife12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of things do you do to practice in the wetlab? For more senior residents, did you find working in a pig eye or using the EyeSi was better preparation for intraocular surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

We have wet lab and EyeSi and most people never use either. I would never. It is 100% dependent on how your program teaches surgery. If they want you to have a curriculum outside the OR they will provide you with that. So, I would never base my decision for ranking based off of whether or not wet lab or eyesi is available.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

We have both in our program, we use pigs eyes more than the EyeSi but even then we don't use it as often. At the VA our attendings require that the second year residents practice on either of them before we start our cataract surgeries. I like the EyeSi for anti tremor training and the capsulorhexis I guess it makes me feel less anxious. I like the pigs eyes to practice wounds, wound suturing and every once in a while capsulorhexis, we asked for a phaco but it is a two year process to get one of the old phacos from alcon so by then I'll be gone!