WesternUCOM or NSUCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r0bbaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been very fortunate enough to be accepted to both of my top choices. If you had the choice to go to either school which would it be and why?

Members don't see this ad.

WesternU because it's awesome plus I will be going there :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As you said, you can't go wrong with either school. Both schools are well established and will provide you with the necessary opportunities to succeed. The COA is very comparable as well. Also both schools possess a vary diverse student body. Therefore, the decision boils down to your personal preference. Where do you think you will more enjoy living for the next 4 years, in SoCal or in SE Florida? Do you prefer attending a medical school that is part of a large university or a school that is part of a medium-sized health profession university? How important is OMM for you? How big of an obstacle will be for you to having to do a rural rotation in the middle of the audition rotation season? Where would you like to do your residency and practice medicine after that? Are you more afraid of hurricanes or earthquakes?

I think the major deciding factor is location. Do I want to be in Cali for the next 10 years or do I want to be in Florida? Does anyone have a link where I can find the match list for WesternU?

I think the major deciding factor is location. Do I want to be in Cali for the next 10 years or do I want to be in Florida? Does anyone have a link where I can find the match list for WesternU?
10 years? There isn't any guarantee that you will match a residency location in either state. Plan on spending 4 years.

http://opti-west.org/matchlist.html

The above link will provide you with the match lists for the past 4 match cycles. Please note that match lists are poor indication of the quality of education the school offers. However, they can give you a very good idea of the residency locations WesternU grads tend to gravitate to.

10 years? There isn't any guarantee that you will match a residency location in either state. Plan on spending 4 years.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Want to live and practice in CA/the West? Go to Western.

Want to live and practice in FL/the SE? Go to NSU.

While I'm 100% admissions doesn't reflect on the education you'd receive at the school--I'd go with Western over NSU.

NSU has been very disappointing this year with this admissions being all over the place. I believe it was due to one of their key admissions counselors leaving the school though. Was a huge turn off to see how disorganized they were. Though to be honest, lots of schools seemed disorganized. I specifically will be attending Western-Northwest and have nothing but positive things to say about their admissions. Though I must say that my experiences have been with the Northwest location.

Though on Western in Cali, you couldn't pay me any sum of money to live in California. Between their gun laws, their tax rates, and their local government--I'd never want to live there. Rent is also ridiculously expensive though it should be similar to NSUs.

and side note--it really is shocking to see how disorganized many of these admissions are. In non-governmental business, if something was this disorganized, they'd be out within 2 years. If I had as bad as communication as NSU has shown me, our businesses would lose all of our clients overnight.

While I'm 100% admissions doesn't reflect on the education you'd receive at the school--I'd go with Western over NSU.

NSU has been very disappointing this year with this admissions being all over the place. I believe it was due to one of their key admissions counselors leaving the school though. Was a huge turn off to see how disorganized they were. Though to be honest, lots of schools seemed disorganized. I specifically will be attending Western-Northwest and have nothing but positive things to say about their admissions. Though I must say that my experiences have been with the Northwest location.

Though on Western in Cali, you couldn't pay me any sum of money to live in California. Between their gun laws, their tax rates, and their local government--I'd never want to live there. Rent is also ridiculously expensive though it should be similar to NSUs.

and side note--it really is shocking to see how disorganized many of these admissions are. In non-governmental business, if something was this disorganized, they'd be out within 2 years. If I had as bad as communication as NSU has shown me, our businesses would lose all of our clients overnight.

Will OP have to deal with admission staff after being accepted?

WesternU and NOVA are both great schools. I would pick WesternU since I like California.

My bad I haven't checked on this thread in a while. I decided to go with Nova.

Curious, what was your reasoning?

Honestly, it was mainly a gut feeling. Both programs are great, but I think my gut was to stick with the east coast since I'm from Pennsylvania.

Honestly, it was mainly a gut feeling. Both programs are great, but I think my gut was to stick with the east coast since I'm from Pennsylvania.
I've been on the East coast my entire life. Lived up and down the eastern seaboard, but I wanted to experience what the rest of the country had to offer. Said that in my interview as well.

Best of luck man. NSU was one of my top 3 pre-interview. I'm sure you will do great!

Reactions: 1 users