WesternU MSMS Fall 2012/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Check your e-mails. I just got my acceptance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
:( Still nothing...either way

edit: she told me she can't tell me my status via email or phone and that letters should be sent out today. Since there are only two weeks left I'm assuming they would notify of acceptance/wait list via e-mail. I think that means this is the end of the road for me. Good luck to everyone who was accepted.

Last edited:
I am in the same situation , congrats to you guys! who got in

:( Still nothing...either way

edit: she told me she can't tell me my status via email or phone and that letters should be sent out today. Since there are only two weeks left I'm assuming they would notify of acceptance/wait list via e-mail. I think that means this is the end of the road for me. Good luck to everyone who was accepted.

just sent a email to jodi, and got a response that there are 20 people on the waitlist and they will be ranking them in some type of fashion but that hasnt been determined yet. So literally its just a waiting game but if they sent out some acceptance this morning then I guess the only thing that people who didn't get accepted hope for is that someone doesn't accept it.

How long do you guys have to respond when you guys got the accepted emails?

just sent a email to jodi, and got a response that there are 20 people on the waitlist and they will be ranking them in some type of fashion but that hasnt been determined yet. So literally its just a waiting game but if they sent out some acceptance this morning then I guess the only thing that people who didn't get accepted hope for is that someone doesn't accept it.

How long do you guys have to respond when you guys got the accepted emails?

Darn...that is definitely bad for me. I asked her if I was on the wait list and she still said nothing about it except that letters will be sent out.

do you guys know what "hold" means? Does that mean you are on the waitlist?

We have until May 28th which is less than a week.

does anyone know if all the emails have been sent out?

Does hold=alternate status? I feel like it's a different thing cause in the email it says you will be notified a final decision when you get either accept, non-accept, or alternate. And I'm not sure what it means cause it's not explained in the guidebook we received during interview day. Does it just mean more waiting and we'll hear from them later?

Was wondering the same ... o.o

Just called them. hold means that they haven't made a decision yet. So we have to wait more and we can hear from them anytime between now and the first day of class. And the August 2012 in the "hold status" email is a typo as well as the "april"
hope this clarifies things. Even though there is still hope for those waiting, it's dependent on others not accepting their offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested that is attending WesternU this fall, I have a room available in a two story home seven minutes (drive) from campus. Its an all girl household of clean, respecful housemates. Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions!

Just called them. hold means that they haven't made a decision yet. So we have to wait more and we can hear from them anytime between now and the first day of class. And the August 2012 in the "hold status" email is a typo as well as the "april"
hope this clarifies things. Even though there is still hope for those waiting, it's dependent on others not accepting their offer.

That makes some sense...but what is an "alternate" then? Cause it sounds the same to me still. And what do you mean the typos were supposed to be "June 2012" and "June"?

What is the reason why even though all were given interviews, only one person got into the med school? Are you going to do this program? If so, would you still do it if there is no linkage?

I might have not made it clear. Last year's class, everyone who had applied somewhere got in (Not only to western). This year's class, a number of them were originally linked, after ISAC and some other course work. What I was talking about were the 5 students from this year who failed ISAC, they were among the ones who did not get linked. All 5 were still granted interviews; however out of the 5 who failed and received interviews, only one of them was accepted to Western's 2016 D.O. class.

I have been accepted and I am going to attend. I will not know about my linkage until a few months from now, but i do know that even if i don't get linked my chances of attending Western U are going to be higher through the program.

Hm... I wonder what makes people get rejected, and not just waitlisted post interview. Is it from the interview only, or stats too? But if stats were the problem, why invite them to interview in the first place?

And for those who got waitlisted with no ranking, how do they determine who will get in if a spot opens up later?

At the interview, they told us that the interview is a "blind interview" meaning, the interviewers had not seen our files. They take notes on their interview and turn them in to the admissions office, and the admissions committee makes decisions off of everything. But usually if you get an interview, that means they liked what they saw in your file and they'd like to get to know you in person.

On interview day, Jodi also said that if you're at the interview and if you don't get in, it probably has something to do with how the interview went. She also said that if you dont get in, it doesn't necessarily mean that you didn't do well on the interview, it might just mean that they did not have enough room. She said that we only have 30 spots and sometimes with the way the computer system works, you might end up on number 32 instead of number 29 and we can't take you in.

Come to think of it they did have 5 or 6 interview days (as far as i know) and each had about 20 applicants being interviewed. They can only accept 30. So they have to have some sort of a system to cut down on the applicants they interview

What is the start date of the Western MSMS Program that begins in 2012? Thanks.

Orientation is on June 1st. Class starts on June 4th.

Congrats to all those that got accepted! And for the rest of us, the chance seems small but good luck everyone.

For those who were put on hold, have you heard anything back yet?

For those who were put on hold, have you heard anything back yet?

Nothing yet. Last week, Danielle emailed me saying there are "approximately 10 people" on the waiting list. So it's not so big. Hopefully we hear something soon this week : )...fingers crossed.

Hey guys... I'm new here, but have reviewed quite alot of threads and it seems incredibly helpful. I'm interested in the MSMS program for the 2013 cycle. If anyone has any advice for the application process, when the cycle opens, or any other helpful information... please share! The more informed I am, the smoother the process (hopefully). :)

Hey guys... I'm new here, but have reviewed quite alot of threads and it seems incredibly helpful. I'm interested in the MSMS program for the 2013 cycle. If anyone has any advice for the application process, when the cycle opens, or any other helpful information... please share! The more informed I am, the smoother the process (hopefully). :)

Before you apply:
Get everything together and apply as soon as possible (I think it opens in November, check the website). They accepted more people who interviewed early than later. They do look at the whole picture, and I'm being super honest here based on my own experience. Thus, the resume and PS (probably LOR too) are extremely important, since they're the only things you can probably change at this point. After that, just hope for the best and be patient; freaking out won't make them respond to you any faster ;) Since they are very busy, contacting them a lot will just make the whole process go even slower.
http://prospective.westernu.edu/medical-sciences/competitive

Interview:
If you get an interview, breathe a sigh of relief. I was notified of interview 2 days before my interview. I had no time to "prepare" or anything, so everything I said during the interview was straight from the heart. Be yourself (unless you are super awkward/antisocial/arrogant haha) :smuggrin: Due to my stats, I had to try to be very confident, and just forget about other people. It worked. The interviewers are very nice, I wasn't really nervous. Oh and dress professionally ;) Importance: ethics & communication. About 1/3 of us got in after the interview.

Post interview:
If you get rejected, there could be a few reasons such as...

1) you might be overqualified. You should know by looking at the website http://prospective.westernu.edu/medical-sciences/competitive
In this case, you will probably be accepted straight into DO if you apply.

2) your interview answers weren't very good...

If you get accepted, congratulations. You should go here! (unless you just got into a med school) I feel very fortunate to be here. Everyone, faculty or classmates, are really nice and supportive. However, expect to work really hard. I mean it. During the summer gross anatomy, we had class from around 8am to 4pm, then we studied until 11pm (when the place closes. I've thought about sleeping in the study rooms before to save time :p ) Even with that much studying and lack of sleep, you probably will never feel you are ready for the exams. Think of it as 2 full time jobs. If you feel you can take the challenge, do it :luck:

Thank you mochiboll for your detailed reply! I really appreciate it! I'm truly interested in the program, and hopefully I'll be one of the few that can get a spot next cycle. Thanks again, and good luck this year! :)

The only medical school class is ISAC. The rest like Molecular cell bio, biochem, micro are the easier version of the med school courses. However, they are intense as well. Classes get easier as time goes so that is good in a way. Good luck :)

Last edited:
*Hello Everyone

I'm new on this forum. I'm trying to get into the 1 year MSMS at WUoHS in Pomona, CA. Anyone been through it? The application, interview, rejection or acceptance?I see they receive 313 applications, grant 99 interviews and accept 36 students. I'm using this like a stepping stone to medical school. I'm completing physics part 2 and sociology right now. My MCAT wasn't too hot and I'm aiming for a 32-40 (or 45**) this year. I want to eventually got to LLU in CA or the new UCR medical school or Baylor in Texas.*Any ideas? Advice? Thoughts? Criticism?Oh btw, I'm applying for Fall 2013. Application deadline March 1, 2013.I appreciate everything!!

Had anyone sent in their application yet? Any updates? Especially, with prerequisites had anyone had trouble?

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Anyone submitted for fall 2013?
Yes, I applied back in December and received an email today granting me an interview for Feb 15 :)

Does anybody have any tips for the interview? I'm excited, yet nervous..

Yes, I applied back in December and received an email today granting me an interview for Feb 15 :)

Does anybody have any tips for the interview? I'm excited, yet nervous..

Oh nice! I still haven't got my recommendations in.they haven't updated me on that yet. I'm international and I'll be in California for a couple weeks. I wonder if they'll have an impromptu interview? Since it is kind of expensive to travel from outside the us. I hope that isn't a drawback

March 1st is so near!

Oh nice! I still haven't got my recommendations in.they haven't updated me on that yet. I'm international and I'll be in California for a couple weeks. I wonder if they'll have an impromptu interview? Since it is kind of expensive to travel from outside the us. I hope that isn't a drawback

March 1st is so near!
I would recommend getting your LOR's in as soon as possible (it took a long time for them to receive mine, but it was also during the holiday season..) As far as the impromptu interview, I don't think so. The next one is scheduled to be 3/23. When are you coming to California? Also, there is a thread for Western's MSMS program for 2013/2014