Western University Feb. interview people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a quick question... this is kinda straying off the topic of western BUT since those who got into SC are also checking up on this thread...i was just asking for their personal opinion.....

1. How did you guys get into USC?
2. If you don't have a STRONG gpa or science gpa... (mine being slightly above 3.0 w/ a BS) what can I do that will help me improve my chances of getting in next year if i dont get in anywhere this year??

I know I need to apply early but also perhaps take my PCATS. Is there anything else? I retook some classes i did poorly in and I am going to try to get my tech licence also... but does that help?

I'm just looking for some more advice... THANKS :D

Members don't see this ad.

Having considered a decent reponse for this post for quite some time now, I'll put it this way. Yes, it is inconsiderate. Call it a desire to find out if getting into USC was anything more than luck (which I know is a stupid thought) I'll go ahead and call them on Monday. I shouldn't need the egoboost and just needed to convince myself of the same.

If you think about it, what does it matter if you keep your name on the waitlist. After you say no, they are just going to call the next person. It is another thing if you have been accepted and don't decline right away. Farmercyst...I think I would also like to know if I would have gotten in at another school. The spot is going to go to the next person anyway...

I have a quick question... this is kinda straying off the topic of western BUT since those who got into SC are also checking up on this thread...i was just asking for their personal opinion.....

2. If you don't have a STRONG gpa or science gpa... (mine being slightly above 3.0 w/ a BS) what can I do that will help me improve my chances of getting in next year if i dont get in anywhere this year??

I know I need to apply early but also perhaps take my PCATS. Is there anything else? I retook some classes i did poorly in and I am going to try to get my tech licence also... but does that help?

Hard to say for sure. I'm sure my interview request was based primarily on my GPA and my LORs as I have no pharmacy experience (passed PTCE in February) and very few [recent] ECs. Take my GPA away and I wouldn't have a prayer I'm sure. Obviously they must have thought my PS was okay, and I do have some pseudo-supervisory authority at work which I'm sure helped. The GPA is the one thing I can point to and say THIS was definitely a strong point on my application. Now that's not to say you can't get into SC with a 3.0ish GPA, it just means that it's not how I did it. (I actually stormed the school in my trojan hare.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Farmercyst-
Sorry if i had offended you in any way, but thanks for making that decision to call in on Monday! i'm sure everyone here will appreciate it! :)

Nah, I have the resilience of a farmer and a cyst. You'd have to do a lot more than make me soul-search to offend me.

If you think about it, what does it matter if you keep your name on the waitlist. After you say no, they are just going to call the next person. It is another thing if you have been accepted and don't decline right away. Farmercyst...I think I would also like to know if I would have gotten in at another school. The spot is going to go to the next person anyway...

Yeah, it'd be an ego boost to know after getting rejected at OSU after waiting for 5 months, then getting rejected at LLU after waiting for 4 months that I didn't just luck into USC. And that's one of the responses I contemplated, but it seemed a little self-righteous so it got deleted. Besides, I decided the point is not that it would be, at most, a 5 minute delay. The point is I'm in somewhere and that's all that should really matter to me. So yeah, that's one of the reasons it took me so long to post an answer that would be suitable to me and the rest of the forum.

Here's another Trojan lurking in the Western thread. Yeah, I would consider taking the PCAT because USC does look at the PCAT so if you can do well on it, it will make up for a lower than average GPA. You can always get some more pharmacy experience. I would recommend working as a volunteer or tech in a hospital. Take one or two classes at a CC this summer and/or fall to improve your GPA. And yes, be an early bird.

Btw, just want to give props to Happyface68 and Farmercyst for giving up their waitlist spots :thumbup:. It's very nice of you guys and I'm sure you will make someone here very happy.

Here's another Trojan lurking in the Western thread. Yeah, I would consider taking the PCAT because USC does look at the PCAT so if you can do well on it, it will make up for a lower than average GPA. You can always get some more pharmacy experience. I would recommend working as a volunteer or tech in a hospital. Take one or two classes at a CC this summer and/or fall to improve your GPA. And yes, be an early bird.

Btw, just want to give props to Happyface68 and Farmercyst for giving up their waitlist spots :thumbup:. It's very nice of you guys and I'm sure you will make someone here very happy.

Hey...hey...where all the Trojans coming from? Just kidding! :D I know of someone with ~3.0gpa who got into USC this year, but this person had alot of other steller extracurriculars to back him up: leadership, pharm experience, confident interview. So if your grades are not as great as they can be, you need to show the adcom your ability to contribute to the field of pharmacy through your actions. Also, USC seems to favor applicants who are pursuing a bachelor's degree.

Thanks for all of the advice! hopefully i'll some how get in there year into western so i dont have to go through the whole application process again... sO! has anyone hear anything about western yet? any new updates for those patiently waiting...

well.. i would rather go to western because i live in san diego. western is only two hours away. so.. i ended up paying the $2,000.00 deposit just in case if i don't get in. i hope u get into a school anh 80. i'm on your side meng, vietnamese right? =)

what are my chances of getting into western as an "alternate"? have any one called western about the ranks? do they give you that information? should i just call tomorrow? geez.. this wait sucks :confused:

Last edited:
The wait is killing me :eek: Western said they would start calling people from May 1st until the first week of school and I havent heard of anyone getting called from the alternate list. This is going to be a long summer. :(

Last edited:
I called yesterday to ask about the 2008 application and took the chance to ask the status of the alt list. according to them, the class is currently FULL! yes, FULL! so as of right now, dont expect to hear from Western. People who got accepted are either going to attend or waiting on their first choice. For us alts, it's gonna be plain luck if we make it in.

Wow.. that just sucks.. it doesnt even seem like anyone on the alt list was taken off.. then again.. its just people who use SDN.. but thanks for the update..

I think it was my GPA that held me back last year. For one thing, I did better in my upper divs my senior year. I took challenging core science courses and did fairly well in them. I also retook a few pre-reqs at my local JC to increase my science GPA.

Graduating with a bachelors definitely helps too, especially if your GPA isn't that high. I didn't have mine yet at the time of applications last year. I believe Western gives 5 extra pts. to applicants that already have a bachelors at the time of applying.

Lastly..INTERVIEWS! They are SO crucial to the admissions process and I cannot stress that enough. I was really nervous last year and rehearsed my answers so much that it was sounded memorized. This year was different and I felt good about all my interviews. All they really want to see is if you're normal and if you'd make a good fit. Don't talk too much. Answer their questions and don't go off on a tangent. Watch your Likes and Umms. They want to hear you be passionate about your achievements and about pharmacy. As long as you are yourself, and remember to practice with a friend/career center, you should be in good shape.

Lastly, be confident, yet humble at the same time. :luck:

Hi Swanchick! Hope you still remmember me and hope you have fun at USC. Just a quick question for you, How do I let WesternU know that I got my BS in BCH in June 2007. I talked about it in my essay and supplemental questions. Should I send a copy of my diploma to them? I don't have it until late Octorber though. It takes my school 4 months to have my diploma ready :(...