Western University Fall 2014 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't worry abou it. I was told that GPA weights 50%, interview, letter of recommendation, essay, volunteer...counts 50%. So you have high chance to get in.
English is also my second language, I thought I did terribly on critical reasoning, which put me in bad mood then immediately I was interviewed. Although I calmed down and did not bad on essay part, but overall, it was a bad day for me, but eventually I got accepted.
Don't worry, you have a chance for sure. Just be patient and wait, hope we can be classmates.

so did you think you did bad on the essay and critical thinking, and still managed to get accepted? GOOD JOB!!! my interview felt like I was just sittingthere with them eating my lunch, it went smooth... nothing too crazy? is that good? who did you get interviewed by?

Members don't see this ad.

so did you think you did bad on the essay and critical thinking, and still managed to get accepted? GOOD JOB!!! my interview felt like I was just sittingthere with them eating my lunch, it went smooth... nothing too crazy? is that good? who did you get interviewed by?
I thought I was not performing as good as I was supposed to be on both interview and critical thinking part. However, you know, all those are very subjective. Like sometimes you felt bad on a test but you got an A, while you only got a B even though you thought you did well. I really can't tell. I was also told by the previous students that critical thinking part doesn't count much since it is the first year. However, I am sure she is not in charge of the admission.
If your interviewer looks tough, doesn't mean she/he will fail you. It all depends. What I suggest is: be patient. You have done your part, no matter it was bad or good. Let the admission office do their part.
My interview went smoothly as well, however, I told too much truth during the interview, such as I don't want to work in retail pharmacy etc... I was afraid it would reduced my chance...
I don't know how much score I have on each part of mine...
If you are put on hold, don't be upset. Some students will turn down the offer (it is $500 deposit, they will not pay if they get the offer from their ideal school). WesterU might be your top choice, but may not be others. Once USC/UCSF/UCSD send offers out, there might be more seats available. So just be patient and wait.
My guess is that they have a overall score for everyone after the interview, and they might only offer a few students right now and wait to see more. They will go back to release more seats to the students with higher ranking, no matter you are interviewed on Nov or Dec...
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
you are right, once the real schools send out offers, the fake schools like western will start filling up. it is only a matter of time.
Hi, Linda,
Western U is the most suitable school for me, thus it is the best for me. They are all real and good schools, and it is just the preference. People apply different schools and chose the one based on their overall consideration. I don't think any school is better than another or any student is better than another.
You might be accepted by many schools (based on your post of acceptance everywhere here), then congratulations. Chose the school you think the best for you. If WesternU is "fake" for you, turn down the offer, and give the seat to someone else PLS.
I wish I have classmates love my school and think my school is real at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are right, once the real schools send out offers, the fake schools like western will start filling up. it is only a matter of time.
And I don't understand why you don't show any respect to many schools and the applicants. If you don't like the schools, why bother spending money and energy to apply?

i am showing respect i think western is a true school thaat produces true pharmacists that are good at being nice people. the fake schools, like ucsf or usc are the ones that are having trouble getting good applicants. i am really excited to attend western next year :)
I am thinking of going to UCSF instead of WesternU so that I don't have to suffer to have a mean classmate like you, honestly. PLEASE, tell me which school you choose eventually so that I can avoid you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
dwight coward, dont be jealous. it was definitetly possible, I got the early interview at western and the late interview at usc. and i got in to both :) i think youre being a coward by using mean words at me, just because i am overall a smarter person than you. since you havent got in anywhere for the 2nd year straight, i would suggest applying out of the country, possibly in guatalahara or saskachewan where they will accept people who want to pay for a degree. i am thinking of enrolling out of the contry as well to help increase the standards of students outside of the country. maybe you can help me and we can team up. PM me if interested - lindagoldrocks

**** off, 3.2 from Chico State. You didn't get into ****.

I am thinking of going to UCSF instead of WesternU so that I don't have to suffer to have a mean classmate like you, honestly. PLEASE, tell me which school you choose eventually so that I can avoid you.
This person didn't get in to any school. It's obvious. Look at his/her posts, she can't even spell for ****'s sake

i am showing respect i think western is a true school thaat produces true pharmacists that are good at being nice people. the fake schools, like ucsf or usc are the ones that are having trouble getting good applicants. i am really excited to attend western next year :)
At the end of the day, at least you can live with the fact that no one likes you in real life AND on the internet.

Can you all PLEASE take these unnecessary comments elsewhere? PM each other IF it's that important. Let's keep this forum for helpful information ONLY and NOT for bashing/attacking each other. We're all professionals at this point, can we please act like it?? Thank you :)

It's not necessarily impossible for linda22goldrocks to have an interview to both Western and USC. I recall a girl asking the admissions counselor if she could leave early because she had another interview. So congratulations. However, getting into both schools isn't grounds for being a snobby and stuck up b***h. While there may be some truth to your statements, I hope you aren't getting off from terrorizing other students.

Keep in mind to get an interview you have to receive a certain amount of points from GPA, LOR, personal statements, extracurriculars. That being said, everyone who did poorly on those sections was filtered out and did not receive an interview. Everyone who did well, got an interview. Therefore, if you did horribly on any part of your interview, it is not looking good for you. i.e. fanwesternu mentions that he was briefly placed on hold after doing poorly in one section, however he later gets in. So there's always a chance that even if you did bad in one section that you will still get in. However, post-interview there's nothing you can do. Stressing more or less will not improve your chances. In addition, no one knows what your chances are, but just have confidence in yourself and enjoy the holidays! The notifications should be going out ~2nd week of January or so.

Good luck to all.

Last edited:
should fall grades be sent into Western or Pharmcas?

should fall grades be sent into Western or Pharmcas?
PharmCAS.
The school can access pharmCAS to get updated information.
But end of the day, we need to send all our original transcripts to WesternU, which has been stated in offer letter.

I interviewed on Dec. 14th and honestly this school was my least favorite interview so far...But I think it was just my personal experience. First, the P3's who were supposed to make us feel welcomed and relaxed came off obnoxious and snobby. When we were in the lecture hall waiting to be interviewed, they seemed to just stay in their little pharmacy cliques so it was confusing if they were there to answer any of our questions about the school or to just call out our names when our interview time was near. Also when I did have the opportunity to finally ask them questions, they answered with sarcastic tones and responses that did not seem genuine. For example, I asked a student why he decided to attend Western over other pharmacy schools and he responded, "Well you're here aren't you? Why don't you answer that question." I was shocked because it was a genuine question and to be honest, it was plain rude. Overall, I got the impression that these students felt like they were above us and we weren't worthy of their time. As for the actual interview, I think I did well, but the interviewers gave off a vibe that they didn't really care for my answers because they were so unresponsive. I don't mind a hard interview at all, but it really just got to the point where I felt I was, again, just wasting their time.

Also the test was torture haha. But we took it at the end of the day and I was already disappointed with the school..I really just wanted to get out of there.

Overall, Western is a wonderful program, but I just don't think it's the right fit for me. But again, this was just my personal experience.

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Dec. 14th and honestly this school was my least favorite interview so far...But I think it was just my personal experience. First, the P3's who were supposed to make us feel welcomed and relaxed came off obnoxious and snobby. When we were in the lecture hall waiting to be interviewed, they seemed to just stay in their little pharmacy cliques so it was confusing if they were there to answer any of our questions about the school or to just call out our names when our interview time was near. Also when I did have the opportunity to finally ask them questions, they answered with sarcastic tones and responses that did not seem genuine. For example, I asked a student why he decided to attend Western over other pharmacy schools and he responded, "Well you're here aren't you? Why don't you answer that question." I was shocked because it was a genuine question and to be honest, it was plain rude. Overall, I got the impression that these students felt like they were above us and we weren't worthy of their time. As for the actual interview, I think I did well, but the interviewers gave off a vibe that they didn't really care for my answers because they were so unresponsive. I don't mind a hard interview at all, but it really just got to the point where I felt I was, again, just wasting their time.

Also the test was torture haha. But we took it at the end of the day and I was already disappointed with the school..I really just wanted to get out of there.

Overall, Western is a wonderful program, but I just don't think it's the right fit for me. But again, this was just my personal experience.

Good luck to everyone!
To be honest, even though you were genuine, I don't think that's a question you should ask a pharmacy student. They want to know why YOU want their school. Not the other way around (well...this still matters too, but it's more important for them to know that you want them). So I understand why they came off that way. I volunteer with a lot of students from western and they're all really friendly.

When you ask questions you want to make sure to research the school before hand and ask questions about the program... Even clubs/research opps/what field of pharmacy they want to go into... Stuff like that!! (For future reference) good luck with your results though!! Wish you the best!!

To be honest, even though you were genuine, I don't think that's a question you should ask a pharmacy student. They want to know why YOU want their school. Not the other way around (well...this still matters too, but it's more important for them to know that you want them). So I understand why they came off that way. I volunteer with a lot of students from western and they're all really friendly.

When you ask questions you want to make sure to research the school before hand and ask questions about the program... Even clubs/research opps/what field of pharmacy they want to go into... Stuff like that!! (For future reference) good luck with your results though!! Wish you the best!!

I'm not sure why that isn't an appropriate question to ask a pharmacy student. Perhaps you can elaborate further. I've asked plenty of pharmacy students, and even a panel, why they chose a particular school, so I hope I wasn't being rude when I asked them. I'm not sure why P3 students knowing why you want to go to their school matters, because they have probably have no word regarding your admittance to the program. They're there to answer questions, not to interview you.

Accordingly, I'm sure Western students are all really friendly, and we can't generalize one student's response to the entire population of students, but I do believe that the student's response given to LAlife was unnecessary. I would feel the same way if I was given that response. Also, I'd prefer to ask questions that are from a student based perspective, sure, I've researched the clubs and residency opportunities on my own time, but I want to know a student's perspective of things, something that isn't vastly available through research. Ultimately, I'm not sure why questions like "Why Western" isn't a suitable question to ask, but if you could elaborate further to help me understand for future reference, that'd be great! Thanks and good luck!

I'm not sure why that isn't an appropriate question to ask a pharmacy student. Perhaps you can elaborate further. I've asked plenty of pharmacy students, and even a panel, why they chose a particular school, so I hope I wasn't being rude when I asked them. I'm not sure why P3 students knowing why you want to go to their school matters, because they have probably have no word regarding your admittance to the program. They're there to answer questions, not to interview you.

Accordingly, I'm sure Western students are all really friendly, and we can't generalize one student's response to the entire population of students, but I do believe that the student's response given to LAlife was unnecessary. I would feel the same way if I was given that response. Also, I'd prefer to ask questions that are from a student based perspective, sure, I've researched the clubs and residency opportunities on my own time, but I want to know a student's perspective of things, something that isn't vastly available through research. Ultimately, I'm not sure why questions like "Why Western" isn't a suitable question to ask, but if you could elaborate further to help me understand for future reference, that'd be great! Thanks and good luck!
Of course you can research on your own time. But I personally know pharmacy students/pharmacists who have offered me the same advice. When you ask faculty/students about research opps and other affiliated clubs on campus it shows that you are interested in getting involved which is a big factor. They want to see why you even applied to THEIR pharmacy school. They should be asking YOU - "why are you choosing western". You shouldn't ask a current student there - and basically take their answer. You know what I mean??? I hope this is making a little more sense now.

I'm saying this bc a lot of times the panel of interviewers will ask you "why western" and that's when your researching beforehand on their program will come into play. Then you'll say "well western's program is unique in ____________ and I'm attracted to _______ attribute of the school/program." And most of the time the students are there to give feedback to the interviewers on which students they liked/didn't (even if they say they don't take part in the interviewing process)...So the pharm students are somewhat like spies lol. Just be aware that when you are being interviewed, EVERYTHING is taken note of. Don't be ignorant in thinking that you're not being watched, you should be on top of your game the ENTIRE time you're at the school.

This is just my perspective of it. You can continue to do what you feel, but I'm just giving my input. I'm still waiting on an interview from western so we'll see how it goes.

Congrats on the interview!! And good luck with the rest of this process:)

Of course you can research on your own time. But I personally know pharmacy students/pharmacists who have offered me the same advice. When you ask faculty/students about research opps and other affiliated clubs on campus it shows that you are interested in getting involved which is a big factor. They want to see why you even applied to THEIR pharmacy school. They should be asking YOU - "why are you choosing western". You shouldn't ask a current student there - and basically take their answer. You know what I mean??? I hope this is making a little more sense now.

I'm saying this bc a lot of times the panel of interviewers will ask you "why western" and that's when your researching beforehand on their program will come into play. Then you'll say "well western's program is unique in ____________ and I'm attracted to _______ attribute of the school/program." And most of the time the students are there to give feedback to the interviewers on which students they liked/didn't (even if they say they don't take part in the interviewing process)...So the pharm students are somewhat like spies lol. Just be aware that when you are being interviewed, EVERYTHING is taken note of. Don't be ignorant in thinking that you're not being watched, you should be on top of your game the ENTIRE time you're at the school.

This is just my perspective of it. You can continue to do what you feel, but I'm just giving my input. I'm still waiting on an interview from western so we'll see how it goes.

Congrats on the interview!! And good luck with the rest of this process:)

Thanks for all of the insight, I never previously considered the factors that you mentioned but now I'll definitely take that into consideration! Though I do understand what you're saying, I really don't see the harm in asking a current student why they chose Western, these opinions can't be accessed through research. I personally wouldn't mind if someone asked me that, but everyone's different! Also, I've never answered questions or volunteered with a panel before, so I'm sure what I say isn't entirely credible.

That's interesting how you've said that the student pharmacists are like spies, hehe. That's actually quite a good idea to implement! You're right, one should be more self-conscious when at interviews. We never know who's watching.

Thanks for your perspective! I'm indifferent to putting into action what we've talked about so far, but I just wanted you to elaborate further on your previous statements, so thanks again!

I hope you'll get into Western, you seem to know your information and any school would be lucky to have you. I've already been accepted to my top choice so I'll be cancelling all of my interviews to free up space for other candidates. Best of luck though!

Have anyone from Dec 14 interview heard anything yet? Tomorrow will be 3 weeks from the interview and they said they would send out decisions in 2-3 weeks. I think it can be delayed by the holiday but still, just wondering.

February 1st, so nervous. On the email it's said that this might be the last interview. This might mean my chances won't be as good since my grades suck and they probably accepted a lot of people already. Sad and scared...

Has anybody recieved invitation for the February interview? I'm so nevours when it's getting closer to that day coz I haven't recieved any email from them yet.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page available for the incoming 2018 class?

I just received an invitation email today for 2/1. If you got acknowledgement that their admissions team was reviewing your file, then I think you should receive some response from them in the next couple of days.

Anyone from dec 14th hear back yet,????

Last edited:
any advice for us feb 1st interviewers? Any advice will be greatly appreciated =) Thanks!!!

any advice for us feb 1st interviewers? Any advice will be greatly appreciated =) Thanks!!!
be yourself, do not memorize your answers. the qs asked are super simple!!!! just do not be nervous the intervieweers are very very nice!

Did they email or call you for the acceptance? Thanks! Can you please share your stats?

Daniell Mendoza emailed me.

Overall GPA: 3.974
Work part time in a sterile compounding pharmacy
Undergraduate research since freshman year
Tutored general chemistry for a little over a year

Good luck!

Daniell Mendoza emailed me.

Overall GPA: 3.974
Work part time in a sterile compounding pharmacy
Undergraduate research since freshman year
Tutored general chemistry for a little over a year

Good luck!
Thanks! Congratulations!!

I just got accepted too and interviewed 12/14

I am put on hold :( Congrats guys!
:( I wonder what makes them put ppl on hold? Is there anything you would have changed during your interview?? Wish the best for you!! Hopefully you'll climb up that ladder and get a spot :) good luck!!

:( I wonder what makes them put ppl on hold? Is there anything you would have changed during your interview?? Wish the best for you!! Hopefully you'll climb up that ladder and get a spot :) good luck!!

Thank you for your wishes. I have a friend who had the same interview day as mine (Dec 14). He told me he did really great at the interview but he was on hold as well, so I don't know what determines if one is on hold or not. As for me, I was really nervous at the interview and I didn't perform as good as I wanted. I think that is why I'm on hold, because I have good stats.

My tip for you for the interview is, again, try not to be nervous. I know it's hard to control your nerve but don't let it affect your delivery. The questions seem fair and almost, if not all, the same as those from Interview Feedback. Have someone give you a mock interview. Good luck on your interview. :)

I am put on hold :( Congrats guys!

Yeah I was placed on hold too.. :( this was one of my top choices too ugh. I felt like I did okay/decently well on my interview but I don't know the reason why I was placed on hold. I hope they won't put the hold people onto alternate later.. Does anyone understand the "alternate" seat thing?

Yeah I was placed on hold too.. :( this was one of my top choices too ugh. I felt like I did okay/decently well on my interview but I don't know the reason why I was placed on hold. I hope they won't put the hold people onto alternate later.. Does anyone understand the "alternate" seat thing?
Yeah, Western is my top choice too so I know how you feel. From what I know, alternate is like a waiting list, meaning they have a high chance of getting in than on hold, either by filling the leftover seats or replacing people who withdraw from the program. Being on hold means they don't know what to do with us yet, hence they are still considering and evaluating our file. A friend of mine who applied last cycle said that some schools put almost everyone on hold to buy the committee some time since people are constantly calling them to check the status. I'm not sure if Western is the case.

They havent reviewed my application yet ;( Should I call them? Since the last interview section comes close, I'm deadly nervous T.T

Is it possible if they would forget/ignore some applications ???

They havent reviewed my application yet ;( Should I call them? Since the last interview section comes close, I'm deadly nervous T.T

Is it possible if they would forget/ignore some applications ???
I don't think it's possible that they could forget.... I was sent an email in December that my application was under review.. Then a few days ago I got an interview invite. I feel like my application was under review a long time. I also applied on the day of the deadline so it make sense that I got a late interview.

Idk how other ppl's experience was, I know for some it was rather quick - meaning their application went under review and then BAM, a week later they get an interview. I'm not really sure if you should call (I always get nervous calling bc I don't want to "annoy" them)

Have you checked your account to make sure all of your application material was received?

Wish you the best!! Hopefully you'll hear something this week...

I don't think it's possible that they could forget.... I was sent an email in December that my application was under review.. Then a few days ago I got an interview invite. I feel like my application was under review a long time. I also applied on the day of the deadline so it make sense that I got a late interview.

Idk how other ppl's experience was, I know for some it was rather quick - meaning their application went under review and then BAM, a week later they get an interview. I'm not really sure if you should call (I always get nervous calling bc I don't want to "annoy" them)

Have you checked your account to make sure all of your application material was received?

Wish you the best!! Hopefully you'll hear something this week...

I also summited my application on the day of deadline, so I expected it late but not this late. They have sent me emails to confirm recieving my materials before, and it was all I heard from 'em.

I hope to hear from 'em this week or next, otherwise it would be the end for me ;((

Good luck for ur interview !!!

Did anyone else's interviewer call them? The professor who interviewed me just called me and welcomed me.

I also summited my application on the day of deadline, so I expected it late but not this late. They have sent me emails to confirm recieving my materials before, and it was all I heard from 'em.

I hope to hear from 'em this week or next, otherwise it would be the end for me ;((

Hmmm that's weird.. Idk what to tell you :/ I actually had a school in Colorado that has had my application under review since November!

Some schools are just weird... Hopefully you hear something this week!! :)

Maybe you should call Daniell Mendoza if you don't hear something by Wednesday. Or email. She's pretty quick with email . I doubt they'll answer the phone. I had trouble a few months ago trying to get a hold of someone in admissions (by phone) and I just ended up emailing Daniell and she responded pretty quick.

h

Hi Erin, I also haven't heard from them since they sent me e-mails confirming that they've received my application materials. I didn't even get an e-mail saying my application was under review :/ I submitted my application on the day of the deadline as well. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I actually checked last year's thread and some people received an interview just a week (or even less, like ~5days) before the interview date. Here's to hoping we get that interview!

My Timeline
10/7 Submitted supplemental
10/9 Submitted prereq worksheet
11/1 App ready for review
11/15 Interview invite
12/14 Interview day
1/14 Acceptance