Western U MSMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OfficialPluot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone turn in their completed app yet?

Members don't see this ad.

For MSMS alumni, how helpful was this program in preparing you for medical school? Would you still have done it even if you could have gotten into COMP without it? I ask because my G.P.A. is about average for COMP matriculants, but I graduated from college 5 years ago. I'm retaking a handful of classes postbac, while working full time, but I can't help but feel like the intensity of the 1st year of medical school will be a huge shock for me. I'm wondering if the MSMS will ease my transition and better prepare me for OMS1 and eventually boards, enough to be worth the extra debt. For background, I'm interested in primary care, but I want to be the best doctor I can possibly be.

Last edited:
Working through my application now and aiming to submit in the next 1-1.5 weeks. I attended Preview Day and loved the school. My personal statement is probably what took the most amount of time and thought. How much of your statements did you guys dedicate specifically to explaining why you are interested in this program specifically?

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering applying for this program. Do they consider your GPA as the averages of all your classes or based off replacements like AACOMAS?

For MSMS Alumni, can you please shed some light on your experience in this program? What is the rigor like? How many hours of studying do you put in? Out of your class, how many matriculated into the DO program? What is living in Pomona like, etc.

I'm attending Western's Preview day on November 21st, anyone else? :)

I'm going.

App is in.

Now we play the waiting game...

I sent my app in as well. Waiting on docs to be processed. Western is my #1 but they rejected me post-secondary this year

How long did it take for your paper transcripts to be received and processed?

How long did it take for your paper transcripts to be received and processed?

Submitted main application November 8th and all my materials were received roughly a week later (Nov. 16th).

Any news/updates regarding interviews?
I'm pretty much going all in with WesternU...I really hope I get in.

Submitted main application November 8th and all my materials were received roughly a week later (Nov. 16th).

Any news/updates regarding interviews?
I'm pretty much going all in with WesternU...I really hope I get in.

It took 2 weeks for my paper transcripts to be received and processed. The electronic stuff was 1 day. I havent heard back but my app wasnt complete until two days so overall I am hopeful.

I got an email that all my stuff was received but my application status still doesn't say ready for review. Anyone have the same deal?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email that all my stuff was received but my application status still doesn't say ready for review. Anyone have the same deal?

Same. My application status is: "Application Materials Received"
My guess is that starting January they will start to review and invite for interviews.
If you check out previous MSMS threads, interviews start going out early January.

Hi everyone! I am currently a student for the MSMS class of 2016. I am a pre-dental student. If you have any questions I can try to help as best I can with my experience thus far! Wish you all the best of luck :) Make sure you have all your materials in by the deadline (especially the pre-requisite course sheet, I have heard some people forgetting to submit it in the past).

Hi everyone! I am currently a student for the MSMS class of 2016. I am a pre-dental student. If you have any questions I can try to help as best I can with my experience thus far! Wish you all the best of luck :) Make sure you have all your materials in by the deadline (especially the pre-requisite course sheet, I have heard some people forgetting to submit it in the past).

Hello! First off, thank you for making time for us and answering questions. I know how intense the program is (I was at preview day). I'll try to keep my questions to a minimum :)

1. Did you apply to any other SMP/Post-bacc programs?
2. Why did you choose WesternU?
3. How many pre-dental students are currently enrolled?
4. Do most pre-dental MSMS students go for WesternU's dental school?
5. I know for pre-dentals, there is a "unofficial" linkage to WesternU's dental school...could you elaborate a little more? Certain GPA to maintain, extra curriculars, etc.
6. Are you shooting for other dental schools other than WesternU?
7. When you began the program, did you start working on dental school apps right away (AADSAS opens early June if my memory serves)?

That's all the questions I have for now...I'll try to space out my questions and not try to overwhelm you haha.

P.S. If you know Joseph Pak, tell him hi and thanks! He was very helpful on preview day.

Last edited:

Thanks for offering your advice! :)

I had a question about tuition actually, are you expected to pay all of it at once before matriculation or is it like a certain amount of it prior to every semester?

Anyone receive an email from WesternU? According to the email, my application is complete and ready for evaluation. Does anyone know the turnaround period from interview to acceptance/rejection? In addition, is it correct to assume the earlier you interview the earlier the acceptance/rejection?

Anyone receive an email from WesternU? According to the email, my application is complete and ready for evaluation. Does anyone know the turnaround period from interview to acceptance/rejection? In addition, is it correct to assume the earlier you interview the earlier the acceptance/rejection?
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. It's going into review and I don't know when they'll get back to us.

invites should be going out before next weekend. I imagine they'll start notifying tomorrow or next week. I've been complete/up for review since november. the wait is brutal aha

Last edited:
invites should be going out before next weekend. I imagine they'll start notifying tomorrow or next week. I've been complete/up for review since november. the wait is brutal aha

I feel you. Western is my top choice so I REALLY want that interview/acceptance haha. Good luck to us both!

Hello! First off, thank you for making time for us and answering questions. I know how intense the program is (I was at preview day). I'll try to keep my questions to a minimum :)

5. I know for pre-dentals, there is a "unofficial" linkage to WesternU's dental school...could you elaborate a little more? Certain GPA to maintain, extra curriculars, etc.
7. When you began the program, did you start working on dental school apps right away (AADSAS opens early June if my memory serves)?

That's all the questions I have for now...I'll try to space out my questions and not try to overwhelm you haha.

P.S. If you know Joseph Pak, tell him hi and thanks! He was very helpful on preview day.

Hi I can do my best to answer the questions for you! I am a MSMS 2016 pre-dental student as well.

No I did not, I only applied to the MSMS program but thinking about it, it would have been better to apply to other SMP/Post-bacc programs just incase it doesn't work out. I did hear from other classmates that they did apply to other programs but they chose to stick with MSMS. I remember one person was supposed to be in our cohort but that person got accepted to an other masters program in Pennsylvania I think.

Personally I chose WesternU because my friend who is currently a 4th year dental student at Western told me how great Western's MSMS program is, especially if you needed that extra boost to gain that competitive edge as a medical/dental school applicant.

There are currently 8 pre-dental students enrolled.

From what I learned from faculty and past MSMS students i would say about 95% of the pre-dental MSMS students do go to WesternU for dental school.

5."Unofficial Linkage"

Western has a good track record from transitioning MSMS students to their dental school. Do your best in your classes, do some extracurricular work, and try to be involved with your MSMS faculty and get in touch with the CDM faculty. From them you will learn a lot about Western and especially what CDM has to offer you if you plan to go there. I have spoken to quite a few CDM faculty and they love past MSMS students because of the experience and leadership they bring to their class due to the MSMS program. Many of the classes we take in MSMS such as MCBM, PBS, and especially ISAC provide us MSMS students the foundations and basics to excel in our first year classes.

For this question I am only speaking for myself, as others question why I am applying to other schools and not just Western.

When I applied to dental school, i selected 5 schools including Western. Some may see this program as a one way ticket to Western but I think otherwise. I am personally using this program as "application boost" to gain that competitive edge I needed as a reapplicant. If things worked out and you ended up at another dental/medical school aside from Western then that means the MSMS program did it's job and helped you get into professional school. I am not saying Western is a bad school, I honestly think Western offers one of the best dental programs out there but I wanted options to choose from, to see which schools may be the perfect match for me. In addition I wanted to see my potential as an applicant, how else would you have known if other programs wanted to interview you? Take a chance and apply!

From my experiences you should atleast get 90% of your apps done right away including letters of rec (which i think is the hardest part of the application). Yes, AADSAS does open early June but that is also when the MSMS program starts (ISAC). Once ISAC begins you will barely have enough time in the world to work on that application so it would be nice if you had most of it done before you start the program. It would also be nice for you to turn in your applications early as well but how else are you going to add your experience in the MSMS program? So make sure once ISAC is done you include your MSMS experiences and submit that baby in because once the fall semester kicks in you may not have the time to do applications again, unless you beast it of course. Turning in the application as soon as possible will also be beneficial if you are applying to other programs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haha well there it is. Sorry the tooth fairy didn't get to you sooner. Hopefully that helped! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

AND yes I do know Jo Pak and he is one of the most awesomest person I have met in this program.

P.S. They don't want you to get into grad school. But YOU WILL. (DJ Khaled reference)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@JayceeFromUCLA
They don't want us to win. Screw they. Bless up.
Haha for real though, as corny as DJ Khaled can get sometimes, he has been the biggest supporter/motivator/hype man since applying for grad school.
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate the detailed information, especially as a pre-dental student. It was major keys to success. Western is honestly my first choice so I really hope I get in.

I have a few follow up questions:
1. How long is ISAC?
2. Did you ask any professors from the MSMS program to write letters for you?
3. Any tips for interviews?

P.S. tooth fairy actually private messaged me and was extremely helpful!

@JayceeFromUCLA
They don't want us to win. Screw they. Bless up.
Haha for real though, as corny as DJ Khaled can get sometimes, he has been the biggest supporter/motivator/hype man since applying for grad school.
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate the detailed information, especially as a pre-dental student. It was major keys to success. Western is honestly my first choice so I really hope I get in.

I have a few follow up questions:
1. How long is ISAC?
2. Did you ask any professors from the MSMS program to write letters for you?

P.S. tooth fairy actually private messaged me and was extremely helpful!

1. How long is ISAC?

ISAC is about 8 weeks, but before the general ISAC class there is Bone Boot camp and 1 week of instruction of anatomy with just MSMS.

2. Letters.

I personally did not have any professors from the MSMS program write letters for me because I already have letters from other professors from my undergrad. But I have seen other pre-dents in my class ask MSMS professors for letters.

As always be yourself, explain what this school can offer you and what you can offer back, and have fun with it.

this is torture, waiting to see if there will be an email about an interview

same. hopefully the decisions are in everyone's favor.

Last edited:
Did you guys include shadowing physicians under the work/volunteer experiences section?

Did you guys include shadowing physicians under the work/volunteer experiences section?

I believe I did..but then again, my app was completed few months ago. I have really bad memory lol.

Last edited:

Now I wish I did :'( (someone had told me shadowing =/= volunteer cause we're not contributing anything when we shadow and I listened to them)

I didn't, but I had it under the copy of my CAS so hopefully they look through that as well...

Can anyone let me know how long it took them from submission of all their material to hearing back from the program saying they received it etc.. whenever I call it goes to voicemail!

Now I wish I did :'( (someone had told me shadowing =/= volunteer cause we're not contributing anything when we shadow and I listened to them)

I didn't, but I had it under the copy of my CAS so hopefully they look through that as well...

Can anyone let me know how long it took them from submission of all their material to hearing back from the program saying they received it etc.. whenever I call it goes to voicemail!

I didn't list shadowing in volunteer experience either, because of the same rationale as you, I just dropped a hint at it in my personal statement. Nevertheless, I briefly mentioned shadowing experiences through my scribe/MA jobs under work experience.

As far as turnaround time, I submitted on 10/28. everything received and processed by 11/10. Then sent for review on 11/30.

Try calling all of the numbers available on the site (regardless of your last name) because they're very busy. I've talked to a few of the ladies at admissions and they've all been super nice and helpful. Good luck!

FYI: The January interview date has been cancelled, and the first interview won't be until the February 20th date. the wait continues.. :soexcited:

FYI: The January interview date has been cancelled, and the first interview won't be until the February 20th date. the wait continues.. :soexcited:
Wow...that sucks. Did they tell you why January interviews were cancelled?

Wow...that sucks. Did they tell you why January interviews were cancelled?
latest

That is why.

Hey guys!

Current MSMS here (pre-DO) - more than happy to answer any DO-specific questions. =) For any general questions though, Jaycee's information is spot on.

Sit tight if you're anxious about interviews and such - they're working as fast as they can!!

Hey guys!

Current MSMS here (pre-DO) - more than happy to answer any DO-specific questions. =) For any general questions though, Jaycee's information is spot on.

Sit tight if you're anxious about interviews and such - they're working as fast as they can!!

Current pre-DO applicant here, thanks for taking this question. I've heard from some current/past MSBS students that in previous years close to half of the pre-DO MSMS students who met all the criteria were still not linked into the osteopathic school. In addition, it seems that the MSMS program has a history to admitting more pre-DO students than could possibility link thereby fostering a very cutthroat environment. Is there any truth to this? Also, is it true that the MSMS program still does not have an official agreement with the COM to link all its pre-DO students and what is your opinion on how likely you will link?

Current pre-DO applicant here, thanks for taking this question. I've heard from some current/past MSBS students that in previous years close to half of the pre-DO MSMS students who met all the criteria were still not linked into the osteopathic school. In addition, it seems that the MSMS program has a history to admitting more pre-DO students than could possibility link thereby fostering a very cutthroat environment. Is there any truth to this? Also, is it true that the MSMS program still does not have an official agreement with the COM to link all its pre-DO students and what is your opinion on how likely you will link?

Hey!

So I can only speak from my own experience thus far and information I know first hand:

I've heard from some current/past MSBS students that in previous years close to half of the pre-DO MSMS students who met all the criteria were still not linked into the osteopathic school

First thing I will say is that linkage should NEVER be considered 100%. There are a total of 19 pre-DO students this year and I can confidently say that we should all link. However, you have to keep in mind that there are definite requirements/minimums you have to meet for any linkage at all. If you work hard and do everything you need to do, there shouldn't be an issue, but there can be some exceptions (which could apply to previous years in which not all DOs linked). My understanding of previous years is limited and (to my knowledge) the requirements this year are different.

In addition, it seems that the MSMS program has a history to admitting more pre-DO students than could possibility link thereby fostering a very cutthroat environment. Is there any truth to this?

I cannot comment on last years class, but I haven't seen anything to suggest a "cut throat" environment. What I will say is that I LOVE my class. We are a definite family and go out of our way to do things together other than school (ie outings, trips, hangouts, etc). We are are nothing near "cut throat" - we study together, share information, push each other and really strive to do well as a class. I'm pretty sure our faculty/administrators know that too. I could not have survived this year without them and I'm extremely excited at the prospect of having my 19 pre-DO colleagues going into COMP next year with me. =)

Also, is it true that the MSMS program still does not have an official agreement with the COM to link all its pre-DO students and what is your opinion on how likely you will link?

This is a GREAT question for our Director (Marcos) because he has more specific details. The MSMS faculty and their COMP counterparts have gone above and beyond for us this year - they truly care about our futures and I'm confident that future MSMS classes will know that as well.

As for me, I'm fairly confident that I will link but nothing is ever 100%. What I do know is that I've worked my butt off thus far and will continue to do so until May 20th!

Hope this helped! Feel free to send any more questions you may have and good luck!

latest

That is why.
I'll shed a little light for you guys - we recently got a new Director (Jan 4th to be exact). So if they were to have interviews in January, they would have been rushed. It's better (in my opinion) to have pushed them back. ;)

I'll shed a little light for you guys - we recently got a new Director (Jan 4th to be exact). So if they were to have interviews in January, they would have been rushed. It's better (in my opinion) to have pushed them back. ;)

That's great to know! I called the admissions office and they told me interviews were delayed until February. I didn't know whether that was good or bad news. Thank you!

P.S. Does anyone know if April interviews will be held because everything was pushed back a month?

Did anyone else have a "decision" box added on their banner. I had "decision: please contact admissions office" pop up randomly 2 weeks ago. Once I saw this, I called and found out about the interviews being pushed back.

Did anyone else have a "decision" box added on their banner. I had "decision: please contact admissions office" pop up randomly 2 weeks ago. Once I saw this, I called and found out about the interviews being pushed back.

What/where is the banner? Is it the application menu for Western apps? I logged into my account and do not see a "decision" box anywhere...

What/where is the banner? Is it the application menu for Western apps? I logged into my account and do not see a "decision" box anywhere...
Yea sorry the "Application summary." For some reason, I still have a decision box on the summary, but now the box is blank aha.

for requirements, i was wondering if anyone had a box for LORs? I sent a while ago but not sure if they got or not :(

for requirements, i was wondering if anyone had a box for LORs? I sent a while ago but not sure if they got or not :(

From my recollection, I think there was a box for names and phone numbers on the main application. I used interfolio for LORs. My advice is to call admissions and check!

Last edited:
How did you turn in a version of the AACOMAS app from this year? I know I was able to directly print the AACOMAS from 2014-2015, but I can't seem to find it on the new application...anyone able to help?

How did you turn in a version of the AACOMAS app from this year? I know I was able to directly print the AACOMAS from 2014-2015, but I can't seem to find it on the new application...anyone able to help?

You go to your liaison main page and click program status/manage programs and there should be a list of schools you sent your primary too. Next to them should have a blue download button (down arrow) and you click that and it saves a copy as a pdf in your dl folder. Hope that helps!! Hurry and email it to eds by tmrw or the feb 1 deadline!

You go to your liaison main page and click program status/manage programs and there should be a list of schools you sent your primary too. Next to them should have a blue download button (down arrow) and you click that and it saves a copy as a pdf in your dl folder. Hope that helps!! Hurry and email it to eds by tmrw or the feb 1 deadline!

I cannot thank you enough!

Deadline is officially over. Good luck to all of us!!