Western Regional Examination Board (WREB)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished the damn thing this afternoon! Let me share with you about the exam.

What you do:

Live patients: 3 procedures
1) Restorative: 52 points/100
- select 2 out of 3 procedures between Class II Amalgam, Class II Composite, or Gold Onlay
- majority selects two Class IIs (Amalgam & Composite)
- Class II lesions must reach the DEJ (minimum)
2) Perio: 10 points/100
- one quadrant of S/RP
- must have 6 teeth in the quadrant
- 2 out of 6 teeth must be posterior teeth in contact
- must have 8 detectable (radiographic or tactile) surfaces of subgingival calculus
- 6 out of 8 subgingival calc must be in posterior teeth
- must have 2 probing readings with at least true 5 mm or greater pockets

Typodont procedures:
1) Endodontics: 18 points/100
- two mounted teeth: one anterior (single root) and one posterior (multiple roots)
- only need to fill one of the canals in the posterior tooth

Computer Exam: you schedule this exam at your local Pearson Vue testing centers
1) Prosthodontics: 10 points/100
- 50 questions on various prostho questions (3D models)
2) Periodontics: 10 points/100
- 50 questions on one patient case

You need a total of 75 points/100 and at least 55% on every section to pass the exam. If you get below 55% in any of the sections and you have a total score above 75/100, then you only have to retake those sections that you received below 55%. If you receive below a 75, then you must retake the entire exam.

This is a 4-day examination:
Day 1: (half day - afternoon) Orientation
- all your questions will be answered here by the examiners, so be sure to ask
Day 2: (full day 7:30 AM-4:30 PM) clinic day
- schedule your restorative and/or perio patients and/or assigned Endo session in sim lab
Day 3: (full day 7:30 AM-4:30 PM) clinic day
- schedule your restorative and/or perio patients and/or assigned Endo session in sim lab
Day 4: (half day 7:30 AM-11 AM) clinic day
- candidates use this clinic time to do catch up if patients "no-shows" on Day 2 or 3
- most candidates do not use this day at all because they're already finished with everything by Day 3

Cost of the exam alone ranges anywhere from $1400 - $1700 depending on where your testing site is. Testing sites are usually hosted by one of the US dental schools across the country. Additional costs included:

1) Endo typodont: $150 (mandatory)
2) Computer exam fee: $180 (mandatory)
3) Patient costs: I heard as low as $50 per patient to $4000 (patient services) for all three patients for clinical procedures
4) Dental assistant: I heard an average around $100 for the entire exam

So the lowest amount of money you may spend on this exam is around $1700 for everything if you don't pay for patients to as high as over $5000 if you pay for patients through a patient providing service/company.

My Experiences

I decided to take this exam because of the following reasons:
1) WREB is currently recognized by 34 states straight out, the most state recognized dental exam out there
2) According to ADA, between the WREB and the ADEX, 47 states will recognize these two exams through credentials (5 years of working experiences)
3) The states that I may end up in to practice all recognizes the WREB (Minnesota, Illinois, and Arizona)
4) The Board of Dentistry of Louisiana will consider the WREB that will allow me to "moonlight" during my residency. Currently Louisiana has its own board exam which I do not want to take if I don't have to.
5) It's literately the easiest dental board examination out there today considering all the required components of the exam in comparison to other dental board exams.
6) It was offered at my dental school (home field advantage)

Overall I feel that the exam was fair, the environment which I took it in was nice because it was my own dental clinic that I go to everyday. The examiners that we were able to interact with were EXTREMELY friendly and approachable which made the exam more relaxing and less fearful.

I had scheduled the computer exam a week prior so I had already completed the computer exam when I entered my clinical portion of the exam. I thought this exam was also fair. The perio section was easy, questions were on medical history, drug interaction and reaction, probing depth calculations, diagnosis, and identify calculus on radiographs. The prostho section was a bit tougher, the 3D model was fun to play with and hypnotizing. It is all clinical assessment, no numerical memorization or where you can just regurgitate answers. This exam solely tests you on what you know from your clinical training and learning.

For my clinical schedule, I scheduled my two restorative procedures on the first full clinic day (Day 2), both were Class IIs (amalgam and composite). Both of my restorative procedures were on teeth from the same patient. So I had this patient all day from 7:30 AM through 3:30 PM, no lunch, we worked straight through. If you have a great patient like mine who doesn't not mind the long period with her jaw open with a rubber dam on, then great, but some patients will complaint of the long treatment! This day, by far, is the most stressful and physical draining day because of the large amount of points involved in these two procedures plus the stress of the grading process (patient approval, preparartion grade, and finishing grade). This is also the day where I had an assistant, I had a 2nd year dental student assist me. I didn't pay for this patient, she was a patient of mine from my dental school.

On Day 3, I had my assigned Endo session in the sim lab in the morning and I scheduled my perio patient in the afternoon. Both events were without incident. By the end of this day once I completed my perio S/RP, I had completed all the WREB procedures which mean that I was not required to return for clinic Day 4. Again, for my perio patient, I did not pay because she was also my dental school patient. I also finished the day early around 3:30 PM.

"Pink slips" = bad news

I didn't receive any "pink slips" so I feel that I did well on this exam and that I've passed. The official score report and result will be issued within 4 weeks from the end of my exam, so around the first week of May, I should learn my fate.

Some bad things happened to others that I've heard:
1) one dude had his perio patient denied and supposedly this patient was "golden" because it was provided by one of the "patient providing service" which was paid large amount of $$

2) one girl had her patient drive to the exam and told her that he couldn't and wouldn't go through the treatment and quit on her!

3) patients get denied for treatment right from the start because insufficient calculus or not deep enough class lesion

4) patient arriving late delaying treatment causing candidates to run late or must continue the next clinical day

5) multiple candidates received "pink slips" for various reasons

Dude, I think I've written enough.........

Members don't see this ad.

Operative Total: 41.71 out of 52 possible
amal. prep: 12.42 out of 15
amal. finish: 8.25 out of 11
comp. prep: 13.20 out of 15
comp. finish: 7.84 out of 11

Endo: 15 out of 18

Perio (Clinical): 10 out of 10

CSW
Perio: 8.75 out of 10
Prostho: 8.75 out of 10

Total Score: 84.21

Man, I didn't know my restorative finishes were that bad? I thought they were decent! I never believed in polishing composits though, never had in clinic after all those composit restorations. Maybe that had something to do with it.

For those of you passed the WREB, you may get your score breakdowns from either your school or purchase an official copy from WREB ($25). I got my breakdowns from my school.

I'm at UT San Antonio and haven't received any results. They haven't posted that results have been mailed since Baylor - Dallas. I don't know if they have stopped posting mailing results or if they are backed up so much that things are taking longer now. It's been 2 weeks only for me, but the Las Vegas kids haven't gotten theirs either. Crazy...

They are not updating there website regarding mailing the scores.
I guess USC is the last one to receive.
good luck with ur results

Members don't see this ad :)
SIU hasn't received results..although I heard they were supposed to mail them this friday.

Yah-E said:
Operative Total: 41.71 out of 52 possible
amal. prep: 12.42 out of 15
amal. finish: 8.25 out of 11
comp. prep: 13.20 out of 15
comp. finish: 7.84 out of 11

Endo: 15 out of 18

Perio (Clinical): 10 out of 10

CSW
Perio: 8.75 out of 10
Prostho: 8.75 out of 10

Total Score: 84.21

Man, I didn't know my restorative finishes were that bad? I thought they were decent! I never believed in polishing composits though, never had in clinic after all those composit restorations. Maybe that had something to do with it.

For those of you passed the WREB, you may get your score breakdowns from either your school or purchase an official copy from WREB ($25). I got my breakdowns from my school.

my school told me they dont get out WREB scores and breakdown... :confused:

GatorDMD said:
my school told me they dont get out WREB scores and breakdown... :confused:
That's interesting...Nova did and we always have been able to ever since the WREB was administered here. Could it be because we are an administerd site? I know we don't have UF students results.

Don't know what to tell ya, bro?

Another reason why NSU is better than UF! :laugh:

This was updated on the wreb site today!
I passed!!

5/26/06 - Dental results from the San Antonio exam have been mailed.
5/24/06 - Dental results from the Alton exam have been mailed.
5/24/06 - Dental results from the Las Vegas exam have been mailed.
5/12/06 - Dental results from the USC exam have been mailed.

so i got my score today. so bummed. i got a 71.46. If I hadnt gotten my modification not approved deduction and perio rejection deduction I wouldve passed. That really bites. I guess Ill take it again in Sept. Anyone have any words of advice or something that will make me feel a little better. I was practicing in New York for over 3 years. I though I could pass this no problem

wut States need breakdown scores when we apply for licensure?
anyone has any idea?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
drhouston said:
so i got my score today. so bummed. i got a 71.46. If I hadnt gotten my modification not approved deduction and perio rejection deduction I wouldve passed. That really bites. I guess Ill take it again in Sept. Anyone have any words of advice or something that will make me feel a little better. I was practicing in New York for over 3 years. I though I could pass this no problem

Don't get bummed - I knew someone who passed Florida boards but failed CRDTS.

I think it all comes down to px selection - Lesions right at the DEJ.

Perio is a crapshoot - just make sure the px doesn't get rejected.

DID you already pass NERBS? Sometimes other states will accept part of another exam.

DrRob said:
Don't get bummed - I knew someone who passed Florida boards but failed CRDTS.

I think it all comes down to px selection - Lesions right at the DEJ.

Perio is a crapshoot - just make sure the px doesn't get rejected.

DID you already pass NERBS? Sometimes other states will accept part of another exam.

No,I never took NERB. New york doesnt require an exam to pass. I feel like ive dug myself in a hole. Texas accepts NERBS and I wish I wouldve taken it when I was graduating. It just seems harder now

drhouston said:
dear dr. houston,
thanks for tips for computer exam. your tips heled me alot. I did extremely well on csw. I feel bad abt.you not passing. u can surely make it next time.
GOOD LUCK

Hi everyone,

Those of you who have taken the WREBs, how heavy was the calculus on your patients? Radiographically detectable? How heavy were the "heavy ledges" of calculus in your patients?

I thought I had a perio patient but am now worried that the examiners may reject my patient due to lack of calculus.

Any replies regarding your experience would be helpful.

Thanks

teedot said:
Hi everyone,

Those of you who have taken the WREBs, how heavy was the calculus on your patients? Radiographically detectable? How heavy were the "heavy ledges" of calculus in your patients?

I thought I had a perio patient but am now worried that the examiners may reject my patient due to lack of calculus.

Any replies regarding your experience would be helpful.

Thanks
Listen, to have radiographic visible calculus is a bonus, but not required. What you must have is the pocket depths and the detectable calculus ("clicks") by an explorer on the specified amount of surfaces.

My patient had all of it, deep pockets >8mm, radiographic visible calculus, and "road bumps" on detection.

hi, im sorry to be nosy, but do any of you know any one that had caries remaining ( pink slip) and passed, b/c that happened to me this past weekend when i took it in arizona...
trying to be optimistic and hoping i passed..
thanks ...

I know someone in my class who got a pink slip for caries and passed. He passed with a 76, so it was close but a pass is a pass!!!

Stay optimistic. You can still pass if everything else went well. Don't worry until you have a reason to!

just dont get tensed... have faith in God. :)
good luck with ur results

Hi,

I heard someone say that u have very good advice for computer based exam,can u also pl give ur advice to me,I am very tensed about the exam.

Thank you

drhouston said:
No,I never took NERB. New york doesnt require an exam to pass. I feel like ive dug myself in a hole. Texas accepts NERBS and I wish I wouldve taken it when I was graduating. It just seems harder now

sjdent said:
I PASSED!!!!!! Found out today. :D :D :D

Is it ok to do Conventional class II Composite and Amalgam for any class II in the WREB or sometimes we have to do a slot prep.

Hey, Just wondering if this is Joe from D'06 Tufts?? I have some questions for you about the WREB. If it is not you then whoever it is, sorry.

hi,
Congratulations to all who pass the exam and wish you all the best for others who have to retake.

I'm currently on the waiting list#8 for USC location this december. I want to start patients screening now but I don't have the candidate guideline :( I know it's importatnt to read this ASAP. I'm practicing in california.

Anybody can share? if you don't need anymore, just toss it to the others.
I am willing to pick it up in the Los Angeles area.

please contact me [email protected]
thanks a lot.

Download it from the WREB website and print it out.

QUOTE=drlalisa]hi,
Congratulations to all who pass the exam and wish you all the best for others who have to retake.

I'm currently on the waiting list#8 for USC location this december. I want to start patients screening now but I don't have the candidate guideline :( I know it's importatnt to read this ASAP. I'm practicing in california.

Anybody can share? if you don't need anymore, just toss it to the others.
I am willing to pick it up in the Los Angeles area.

please contact me [email protected]
thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

hey all:
I hope you all doing great. Well, I would like to share my experience with those who have taken or will be taking their wreb exam in the near future. my first day went so smooth, my preio pt. got accepted on spot and I finished the perio quick with no calculus. I did one quad. and the morning session was awesome. My afternoon session ( endo) was good also however I had such difficult time to find the lingual canal of the premolar tooth that I selected.I found it finally. one of my condensation xray turned dark and I don't know how many point i will loose. I didn't have enough time to take anohter one because I was running out of time.
Overall the first day experience was smooth. My second day was not good. I left a pinpoint Caries on the Gingival floor. My god it was so small that I can't beleive they would consider it as caries. anyways, I was just reading WREB web page and it seems like you don't loose all the points when you leave caries in your operative session for outline and internal forms. Even though the manual might say so. it depends on how much caries you have left. here what I have seen in the updated wreb page:
here is if anyone is interested in reading it:
http://www.wreb.org/dental/dentalPDFs/7FAQs.pdf

depends on how much caries you leave, you don't loose all of your internal, outline form points. so there is a chance for me to get some poing in my internal and extention form.
well my second operative procedure was not bad.
I have to wait for 4 weeks now to see if I fail or not. I have a feeling that I will fail though. because it seems like I lost a big portion points of my operative since I left caries. I hope I am wrong.

Operative Total: 52 possible
amal. prep: 15
amal. finish: 11
comp. prep: 15
comp. finish: 11

Perio 10 points
Endo 18 point
CSW perio 10
CSW prostho 10

hey dont lose hope. it was my second time taking it last weekend. you can read about my disaters during the first in the earlier post on this thread. btw, it seems like the past couple of exams have been having their scores mailed out in 10 days since there arent many exams going on right now so youll most lilely know sooner. I definately did a lot better than last time (no pink slips-i had 2 last time). i just needed to do 3 points better than last time in order to get a passing score and since i had 6 points in deductions i hope i did it.

good luck, dont lose hope

hi:
drhouston, if I get my result within 10 days thenl I don't think I would get an ulcer. you are right, I shouldn't loose hope, the worse senario is that I retake it again, this time I am sure I would know what to do. I kinda feel down but hey what can I do, it is natural. Life has ups and downs and I guess therne is nothing we can do about it. I did my best.
thanks for the post

good attitude. i honesly cried for days when i found out but then i forgot about it and moved on. it went so much smoother the second time. i graduated in 02 and had b e en working since. i never took a clinical exam since i worked in new york and did pgy1, so the way i looked at it was the first time was for practice and it wasnt the dentistry that was the problem, it was my communication with the fe's that was what got me in trouble. Hey if you pass, you pass and if you dont so what? It doesnt mean any thing.

Well, I could not sleep for 2 days before the exam at all. I was tossing in the bed and was hallucinating about teeth--rejections, patients not showing up and getting pink slips. But a night before the exam I got so tired that I just crashed in the bed and had a veru calming sleep. Made me fresh for the real thing. My point is--this is an important exam--the one that can make your life. But again think about the positive---you can take it a second time and may be even a third time by approval from the board. And it becomes easier each time. So unless you are too dumb--you would clear it somehow...and nobody is too dumb. I would assume that people fail this exam only because they encounter some mishaps..mostly for no fault of theirs. So!!!! the most important thing for those who would be taking this exam in future is to just mug up the candidate guide, consult such forums, do amock board practice at you home with friends or family--of course without actual dentistry and familiarize if possible as much as you can with the school where you are taking the test. This way you would eliminate some stressful components and be well versed with procedural things.
Well for me everything went fine after I talked to myself-my composite was my wife, perio was my cousin and amalgam was a patient of record. Just one modification request readily granted---and in the end for my composite finish--for which my patient was my wife--the examiner even complemented the restoration. I told my wife --"are you sure he complimented on the look of the filling and not on how you are looking?" Well I am hoping that I will pass and move on.
All the best to all who took it at UT Houston--and the others too

I am so bummed. I recently received results for my boards. I received 75% lowest for one section and highest section 93%, but I did terrible on the root canal section 52%. As a result my average is 1.7 away from 75; As a result, I have to retake the whole exam including the CSW over! I am feeling really bad right now. I got 2 points deducted for undiagnostic xray for endo b/c of the rush. If I didn't get those 2 points deducted, it would have been a pass. Anyone has experience with appealing?

[ Hey, i see you are here pritty often. Congrets on your results any way, even you are not happy. I am goint to take WREB in march....so friked out:eek: . Can you give me some ideas about computer tests perio and prosto pls. Thanks for any help..

hi,
i'm planning to take the csw exam in feb/march 2007.i would appreciate if anybody gives me tips as to study what & from where.if anybody has any material pls do let me know.
thanks in advance

For those of you who haven't taken WREB yet, I am a dental assistant from the west with over four years of board experience (both state specific and WREB). I will travel to any location and will supply the instruments that you need for the board. If you are interested please send me an e-mail at [email protected] and we can discuss the details.