Western or UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chip Otle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to get some input from any dental students or alumni from these schools. The price difference will be around 50k with sf being the cheaper option. Right now, I am interested in pursuing general dentistry, but am open to specializing. My main concern is how clinically competent I would be if I went to UCSF so it would be really helpful to hear from some recent alumni into transitioning from school to real world dentistry. I've read and heard often that nothing will really prepare the average graduate to go straight into practice so I also wanted to get some input from westernu students on their take. At the end of the day, I know I can't really go wrong with either school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My sibling goes to WesternU (D4), she does molar endo almost every week. That means you'll be getting good clinical education at WesternU. Also she matched into the residency program that she wanted. Meaning you can specialize out from WesternU. If you choose WesternU, you will be my classmate :D

UCSF. Cheaper. Great Clinically. One of the top reputations among Dental Schools. Great in terms of specializing/academics/research so all doors are open. P/NP so a “chill” environment. What’s the question?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't underestimate the beauty of P/F. And $50K.

Have you been accepted to both already?

UCSF hands down. Cheaper, Pass/Fail, nicer area.

Agree with this besides great clinically. I think it's subpar clinically
Agree with this besides great clinically. I think it's subpar clinically
I tend to disagree. Everyone has to take the same licensing exams. Subpar is relative. Everyone from any dental school is subpar compared to any dentist practicing out there. Just me 2 cents though.

Also, from what I have heard from PD’s UCSF students are stronger clinically than others. Who they seem to be comparing to, I don’t know. But I’m sure some schools and stronger and weaker clinically. Just go to the cheapest one and be happy you aren’t taking out x amount of extra loans.

UCSF...idk if this a troll post or not.

Relax boys, op isn't asking for smartass answers. Not everyone is at your intelligence level.

Reactions: 3 users
I really appreciate everyone’s input. The main source of my dilemma was in the clinical preparedness. I guess i also forgot to mention that i am also from socal so i would be able to be close to family and friends.

Regarding the clinical competence, i have heard some negative things about ucsf’s clinical experience. Many local dentists and ucsf students compare a typical ucsf students work with the work of a typical uop student. In fact, some job listings in the bay area on indeed.com specify one requirement for the job is to be a uop graduate.

Last edited:
I really appreciate everyone’s input. The main source of my dilemma was in the clinical preparedness. I guess i also forgot to mention that i am also from socal so i would be able to be close to family and friends.

Regarding the clinical competence, i have heard some negative things about ucsf’s clinical experience. Many local dentists and ucsf students compare a typical ucsf students work with the work of a typical uop student. In fact, some job listings in the bay area on indeed.com specify one requirement for the job is to be a uop graduate.
Well in that case, they wouldn’t take you from Western either.

Lol I’ve never heard of that. So what, they wouldn’t take anyone from any other dental school either? Plenty of clinically strong DS’s out there - better than UOP. It could just be an alumni.

All this said, if I were you I would go to Western, it sounds like you are gravitating towards it. I would leave that spot at UCSF for someone that would kill for it. I know plenty that turned down UCLA/Columbia/Harvard to go to UCSF. Don’t ever do something just because of herd mentality.

Reactions: 1 users
UCSF. It was my dream school until September, 2017 when I got rejected :(

Great location, established/respected program, P/F, cheaper option. Congrats on being accepted there. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous :p

Price difference of 50k/ year? That’s a huge difference even with the higher cost of living in sf.

Western will give you a more rounded clinical experience. The UCSF name would probably help you get into speciality, if you’re considering specializing.

I’d choose UCSF.

Price difference of 50k/ year? That’s a huge difference even with the higher cost of living in sf.

Western will give you a more rounded clinical experience. The UCSF name would probably help you get into speciality, if you’re considering specializing.

I’d choose UCSF.
Sorry 50k estimated price difference over the fours years. But now that I discovered that I will most likely be able to waive the 5k insurance plan per year that increases the savings to around 70k over 4 years.

And thanks for everyone's input! I settled on UCSF. And for those who may have thought this was a troll post, I just wanted to clarify that I was pretty torn between receiving a strong clinical education at western v. receiving a more well-rounded education and experience at UCSF.

Reactions: 4 users
UCSF. It was my dream school until September, 2017 when I got rejected :(

Great location, established/respected program, P/F, cheaper option. Congrats on being accepted there. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous :p
Ha, I got a cold rejection from Penn :/ Congrats to you as well on Penn.

Congrats on your decision! You definitely won't regret it.

Sorry 50k estimated price difference over the fours years. But now that I discovered that I will most likely be able to waive the 5k insurance plan per year that increases the savings to around 70k over 4 years.

And thanks for everyone's input! I settled on UCSF. And for those who may have thought this was a troll post, I just wanted to clarify that I was pretty torn between receiving a strong clinical education at western v. receiving a more well-rounded education and experience at UCSF.
Ahh man, what a loss! Best of luck at ucsf, you'll do great.

Reactions: 1 users

There may be more opportunities at Western, but I think for the most part your experience in dental school will be what you make it. If you’re a go getter and you want to do more, you can get great experience at UCSF too.

Congrats and good luck!