WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey does anyone know what we do during welcome week? Reason being is a lot of my friends are taking off for med school/law school/etc and since I'm pretty close to home I was thinking of seeing them during the welcome week if possible.

Oh yeah as for gpa and mcat I was at 3.56 and a 29
as far as what steoscope, I'm just going to buy something cheap. I lose things too quickly to consider the long run investment lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I am one of those people that was told I am accepted and really was not (I even withdrew from other schools). I keep seeing people withdrawing from Western but no one getting accepted. I am a pretty high number on the accepted-waitlist... with the the amount of people that withdrew I should have been accepted already. Has anyone on that listed gotten accepted??? Or anyone at all. I just emailed the school and they said there has been movement but I am starting to doubt there has been any movement.

Mostly you sit there and listen to people drone on about professionalism. You'll also have some lectures about clinical years that you won't understand, and when it comes time to clinical years they will make you listen to the same lectures again anyway. Basically it was a waste of time. I don't remember if there were sign in sheets or not.

If you really want a cheap stethoscope, just pick up one of the nursing ones in the bookstore for like $10. Don't expect to hear much with them.

Hey does anyone know what we do during welcome week? Reason being is a lot of my friends are taking off for med school/law school/etc and since I'm pretty close to home I was thinking of seeing them during the welcome week if possible.

Oh yeah as for gpa and mcat I was at 3.56 and a 29
as far as what steoscope, I'm just going to buy something cheap. I lose things too quickly to consider the long run investment lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
What to do - accepted to NSU this afternoon from the WL - Western vs NSU.... Any comments.

You mean there are no ice-breakers??? :mad: No free ice-cream?!!! I want my 40k back!

Mostly you sit there and listen to people drone on about professionalism. You'll also have some lectures about clinical years that you won't understand, and when it comes time to clinical years they will make you listen to the same lectures again anyway. Basically it was a waste of time. I don't remember if there were sign in sheets or not.

If you really want a cheap stethoscope, just pick up one of the nursing ones in the bookstore for like $10. Don't expect to hear much with them.

What to do - accepted to NSU this afternoon from the WL - Western vs NSU.... Any comments.

Depends on what you want and are comfortable with. I'm going to Western already and I really enjoy it because it allows me to stay home and still pursue medicine. Gotta see what fits for you and if you dont want your spot I know ellionped would hah

Yo ellinopedo182 message me your name I'm gonna see if I can talk to the dean for you hahaa. I dont know him personally but hopefully it helps.

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have an extra ticket to the convocation/white coat ceremony?
I have 3 people coming, but we only get 2 tickets for guest. I figure I could probably give my ticket to the third guest (I doubt they'll deny me to my own convocation because I don't have a blue ticket), but just to be safe.

I heard they're not all that strict when it comes to enforcing the ticket rule, but if anyone has one extra, please PM me.

Thank you in advance. See y'all in the welcome week.

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have an extra ticket to the convocation/white coat ceremony?
I have 3 people coming, but we only get 2 tickets for guest. I figure I could probably give my ticket to the third guest (I doubt they'll deny me to my own convocation because I don't have a blue ticket), but just to be safe.

I heard they're not all that strict when it comes to enforcing the ticket rule, but if anyone has one extra, please PM me.

Thank you in advance. See y'all in the welcome week.

When/where did you get your tickets? I signed up for my coat size/pin already.

another new week. got my financial aid award letter from TOUROCOM and getting ready to rent out a place, but I will wait another week or two before i rent anything just to be sure. UGH.

When/where did you get your tickets? I signed up for my coat size/pin already.

Oh sorry for the confusion, I didn't get them yet. I just read it on the website. I think they'll pass'em out during the orientation. I was just wondering if somebody already knew that they'll have an extra ticket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have been given a spot off the accepted student waitlist. I initially decided to defer for next year but I think I am going to buckle up and go this year.

So I can now say that the waitlist is moving, I was informed as of yesterday. Good luck everyone!

PS, DOES ANYONE NEED A ROOMATE?:) I am a male, very clean and easygoing, looking for a double...possible in the helix if I can get it.

*sigh*..doesn't look like there's gonna be much love for those of us who are on the regular alternate list. If only there was some way I can negotiate for them to upgrade me to a deferred acceptance...I would much rather do that than to have to go out of state away from my family and friends :(

Western has no love for us :(. I would like to go to la cuz I have family too in the area, I have no one in NYC. Ugh. Oh well, everything happens for a reason. Good luck to the others waiting, like myself.

*sigh*..doesn't look like there's gonna be much love for those of us who are on the regular alternate list. If only there was some way I can negotiate for them to upgrade me to a deferred acceptance...I would much rather do that than to have to go out of state away from my family and friends :(

Which school are you going to if you dont get off the waitlist?

For everyone who is still waiting,

I cannot speak with any certainty, but I had a rather late position on the accepted-waitlist and it took them little time to reach my position which means that movement is happening quick and not too many people are willing to accept a spot this late in the year (I almost didn't). I want to wish you guys luck, and I truly think that you all still have a chance...it's just one big annoying waiting game that is reaching the end.

I also got in off the accepted waitlist, I was number 10 on that list and I got in on Monday. I think they are going to move the regular waitlist. So many people have withdrew from western, so don't give up. I am sure they will call all of you!!!

Anyone want to get a place together? I have a dog...so you have to be okay with dogs. She is a little malti-poo. I posted an ad on the banweb site but that has not been successful. How else can I look for roommates?

To DocMarduk and SMP017:
CONGRATULATIONS again!!!

Did they notify you of your acceptance off the accepted alternate list by email or by phone? by any chance do you know how long your accepted waitlist was? I was hoping that since SMP you're #10, that there were only ten of you on the list! that way, the list can start moving on the regular waitlist....

Last edited:
Which school are you going to if you dont get off the waitlist?

I currently have a deposit down at AZCOM, which is also a great school (my second choice from the start after Western). However, I would much rather stay in Western having grown up in Southern California my entire life. Also the fact that I'm an only child and that my father was recently diagnosed with cancer last year makes it a lot harder if I were to have to leave for the next 4 years. I just really hope Western at least gives me a confirmation on whether or not they will accept soon before I have to move...

I currently have a deposit down at AZCOM, which is also a great school (my second choice from the start after Western). However, I would much rather stay in Western having grown up in Southern California my entire life. Also the fact that I'm an only child and that my father was recently diagnosed with cancer last year makes it a lot harder if I were to have to leave for the next 4 years. I just really hope Western at least gives me a confirmation on whether or not they will accept soon before I have to move...

I hope things work out for you. Good luck!!!!

I was notified of my acceptance by phone.

Does anyone know we can transfer to another DO school after the first year...or what is the earliest. I am looking to transfer to Touro-CA for personal reasons. Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure the "high alternate list" is completed and the school is now choosing people of the normal alternate list.. hopefully everyone gets accepted...

I pray that you're right Mahila...Everyone please wish me luck, I've been basically guarding my cell phone like crazy and waiting for the mailman everyday hopin for good news:(

I pray that you're right Mahila...Everyone please wish me luck, I've been basically guarding my cell phone like crazy and waiting for the mailman everyday hopin for good news:(

lol, i know. i make sure my cell phone is fully charged at all times, not on silent, and with me 24-7. i hate thinking about it anymore.

Hello Western!

I received a phone call Friday afternoon letting me know that I have been offered a seat for this fall. I am really excited but have SO much to do in just a few days. There sounds like there is lots of movement and I hope those waiting to hear the very best.

I am trying to make a decision on a laptop. One of the other schools I interviewed at (A.T. Still -Mesa) had mandatory tablet PC's, and several of the physicians I have shadowed use tablets. Do any second and third year students have any input on the advantages/disadvantages of a tablet at Western? I was thinking a Fugitsu, Lenovo, or Toshiba. Any input would really be appreciated.

I cant wait to head down to California and get to work with the rest of the class. Thanks for all your help

congrats sawtooth! were you on the accepted waitlist or the regular waitlist?

I was on the regular wait-list, but I was on the northwest track. I don't know if that made a difference or not. I did do a good job keeping them updated on my progress that I made since my interview. I sent a letter and had another professor send a letter of recommendation. I also interviewed in one of the last two groups, so I don't know if the class was full/nearly full when I interviewed. I was an anxious wait-lister just a few days ago, and I hope that you guys get the same good news that I did. Keep me updated.

Hello Western!

I am trying to make a decision on a laptop. One of the other schools I interviewed at (A.T. Still -Mesa) had mandatory tablet PC's, and several of the physicians I have shadowed use tablets. Do any second and third year students have any input on the advantages/disadvantages of a tablet at Western? I was thinking a Fugitsu, Lenovo, or Toshiba. Any input would really be appreciated.

I cant wait to head down to California and get to work with the rest of the class. Thanks for all your help

Congrats!

Check out the laptop thread. I got a Lenovo x61t and its great for me. If you want something inexpensive go for the HP x2500z. Look up discounts before you buy.

Hi all,

does anyone know anything about the OMM structural exam on orientation day? whats up with that? Is there anything that i can study off?

Hello Western!

I received a phone call Friday afternoon letting me know that I have been offered a seat for this fall. I am really excited but have SO much to do in just a few days. There sounds like there is lots of movement and I hope those waiting to hear the very best.

I got the Lenovo X61 tablet and absolutely love it!!! <3

I can go up to 4hrs on a full battery at max performance setting (probably longer if i went to energy saver), it's very light (lighter than other tablets I've tested), and it never gets too hot even while holding (no need for a cooling base like other ppl use in class)--these are all strong perks for me since I always hold mine all the time. Also, the case feels very sturdy.

I ordered mine from from http://www.jr.com/lenovo/pe/LEN_776702U/...it's the base Lenovo X61T config with the following upgrades: Windows XP tablet edition, 12.1" multiview+multitouch, 120GB HD, laptop base w/dvdrw, and 8 cell battery

it's only $1,379.00 available at no tax (atleast to CA) and free shipping--I received mine 4 days after placing order... the same config is $1,834.25 from Lenovo (exclusive of tax/ship)

Last edited:
You go in and some 2nd years check you out to see if you have any absolute contraindications to having OMM performed on you.

You don't need to study... unless you have trouble remembering how to flex at the waist and touch your toes, etc...

Hi all,

does anyone know anything about the OMM structural exam on orientation day? whats up with that? Is there anything that i can study off?

I got the Lenovo X61 tablet and absolutely love it!!! <3

I can go up to 4hrs on a full battery at max performance setting (probably longer if i went to energy saver), it's very light (lighter than other tablets I've tested), and it never gets too hot even while holding (no need for a cooling base like other ppl use in class)--these are all strong perks for me since I always hold mine all the time. Also, the case feels very sturdy.

I ordered mine from from http://www.jr.com/lenovo/pe/LEN_776702U/...it's the base Lenovo X61T config with the following upgrades: Windows XP tablet edition, 12.1" multiview+multitouch, 120GB HD, laptop base w/dvdrw, and 8 cell battery

it's only $1,379.00 available at no tax (atleast to CA) and free shipping--I received mine 4 days after placing order... the same config is $1,834.25 from Lenovo (exclusive of tax/ship)

So the display size of 15" on the "requirements" page isn't necessarily written in stone? I didn't want to have to worry about the IT nazi's getting on my case...

You go in and some 2nd years check you out to see if you have any absolute contraindications to having OMM performed on you.

You don't need to study... unless you have trouble remembering how to flex at the waist and touch your toes, etc...

lol.

So the display size of 15" on the "requirements" page isn't necessarily written in stone? I didn't want to have to worry about the IT nazi's getting on my case...

:laugh:

Get whatever laptop/tablet you want. There are neither 'requirements' nor 'IT nazis' to get in your way. As long as it can run a modern web browser, MS Word, PowerPoint, and open PDF documents you will be fine.

Well I am so excited to report that I will be attending the COMP school class of 2012 / NWT!!!

I was waitlisted initially, but have received word that I am in! Best of luck to others waiting in the wings - it can be troubling I KNOW - but hang in there whatever is meant to be will be! Everything works out in the end!

I'm so excited to get underway and move out to Pomona and start my northwest track return to MONTANA!

As I am a late comer to this forum and COMP - can anyone suggest information on how to locate housing in, say, the next WEEK??

SO EXCITED!!:thumbup:

Well I am so excited to report that I will be attending the COMP school class of 2012 / NWT!!!

I was waitlisted initially, but have received word that I am in! Best of luck to others waiting in the wings - it can be troubling I KNOW - but hang in there whatever is meant to be will be! Everything works out in the end!

I'm so excited to get underway and move out to Pomona and start my northwest track return to MONTANA!

As I am a late comer to this forum and COMP - can anyone suggest information on how to locate housing in, say, the next WEEK??

SO EXCITED!!:thumbup:

:thumbup: CONGRATULATIONS!

just got in off the accepted-waitlist and looking for a roommate to share a 2-bedroom/2bath apt at The Crest (in phillips ranch, pomona - about 7 min drive to Western), or at Pine Club or the Helix. i am a male, easy-going and looking for someone similar.

for those of you on facebook, come join our group COMP 2012. Great place to meet your future classmates, search for housing/roommates etc. Just be sure to get on the Western Univ network on facebook first (using your Western U email address) and then click on request to join. And spread the word about the group!!! :)

I honestly wouldn't buy a tablet. The sensitivity of the computer, in my experiences as well as some other friends, lasts about a year of regular usage then tracks poorly to the point of no similarity of what was jotted down. Also 4 hours is pretty poor. My Dell m1210 is able to get about 7.5 hours using a 9 cell and my new HP can get about 9 hours or so using a massive 12 cell battery. Tablets do what we can already do, but worse. Lol so I'm never going back to them.

Congrats to all of us accepted this year yay! Can't wait to meet you all!
Anyone else living in Springhill town homes? If you are, PM or something and we can meet up.

I called the Admissions Office earlier today and spoke with Natalie. Supposedly they have gone through the entire "accepted wait-list." So if the Committee were to offer any more seats, they would be moving on to the regular alternate list now. So far, she said no one has been called off that regular list yet....hopefully soon though.

I was unaware that NWT included Montana! Shows you what I know.

I think the best way to find out about housing is to talk to students who already live there. I'll send you a message about a place that I've heard of.

Were in Montana? Did you have to set it up or did the school set it up? I wanted to maybe do my 3rd and 4th year in Montana and they said they did not have a site, but the Nampa, ID site should be up and running soon. Is this new withing the last 6 months???

I honestly wouldn't buy a tablet. The sensitivity of the computer, in my experiences as well as some other friends, lasts about a year of regular usage then tracks poorly to the point of no similarity of what was jotted down. Also 4 hours is pretty poor. My Dell m1210 is able to get about 7.5 hours using a 9 cell and my new HP can get about 9 hours or so using a massive 12 cell battery. Tablets do what we can already do, but worse. Lol so I'm never going back to them.
wow on the 7.5hrs... what power setting do you use? most reviews i found for your m1210 led me to think 4-5hrs under normal usage. i think the 4hrs i get on my x61t is pretty good for max performance w/wifi on & bluetooth headphones... if i really tried, i heard ppl getting 6-7 hrs, but those settings aren't really practical for me day-to-day esp since i'm usually never more than 4hrs away from an outlet :)

only one year of decent sensitivity? can't you use warranty when that comes around (mine comes w/3yr parts+labor) :confused:

the practicality of using a tablet really depends on the person, so to each his own. my friend has a x60t and hardly uses its tablet functions, so to him it was a bad investment. i do a hybrid of typing/inking to take notes during lecture, but my tablet really shines when it comes to reviewing and studying. thanks to mine ive been able to go completely paperless. when it comes to reviewing material in the future (ie facilitating this fall's gross anatomy, possibly shelf exams), all my typed+written notes will be on hand w/o digging through a pile of printed powerpoints (which western makes you print yourself) .__.

BTW CONGRATS TO ALL ISAC'rs FOR SURVIVING GROSS ANATOMY!!! lets all enjoy what's left of our summers haha... ^^;;;

looking for housing?!?!?! PM me!!!

Last edited:
Well there are no concretes at this point, segun a Dirk Foley, but they are working on developing relationships with hospitals in Missoula, Bozeman and possibly Billings.

They want to involve programs that are as interested in providing education to students as students are in placing themselves there. It is my understanding that COMP likes to involve students in the process as much as possible to accommodate them to the best of their ability.

I would be excited to see Montana as an option and will provide any assistance to make that happen. That being said, I love Idaho as well and there are fantastic hospitals in Boise and Ada County as well as Canyon County, so the Nampa option would be great as well.

Were in Montana? Did you have to set it up or did the school set it up? I wanted to maybe do my 3rd and 4th year in Montana and they said they did not have a site, but the Nampa, ID site should be up and running soon. Is this new withing the last 6 months???