westchester medical center (new york medical college) GPR program in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplicity4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
is anyone here familiar with the GPR program or doing residency currently at westchester medical center, valhalla NY thats under the new york medical college. if so plz could you tell more about the program its strengths and weaknesses since im thinking of applying there for next year. any help will b greatly appreciated. thnx

Members don't see this ad.

Hi-
I did my GPR at Westchester Medical Center last year. Overall, it is a great program- the only downside is the call. Call is in-house, every 3rd-5th night. When you're on call, you're oral surgery, and cover all facial trauma half the time (lots of lacerations), and have to manage inpatients (OMFS 2nd calls will come in in the beginning when you're learning, but really expect you to do most things yourself). You're working more weekends than not.
Besides that, it's a great dental experience, esp if you want to do general dentistry (I'm doing pedo now so don't get to use a lot of what I learned). We did a lot of everything. You restore a ton of implants, even full-mouth roundhouse implant bridges. More endo than you'll ever want to do. There's one attending who comes in just for fancy esthetic cases (crowns, veneers, bonding), and a few attendings that do advanced prosthodontics with you. I did a good number of perio surgeries. One morning a week is pedo. Once or twice a month you see special needs patients in the OR for comprehensive cases. And of course, lots of oral surgery- mainly extractions, but I did an apico, reduced a ZMC fracture in the OR, etc. The attendings are all volunteer (i.e. want to be there and teach) and don't have their own patient schedules, so they're very available. And the program director (Dr. Martinez) is quite possibly one of the nicest people.
Hope this helps- let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks jesse10 your reply was really helpful since im thinking of applying to this program... can i also ask you if its a good idea to do externship there during my summer break to get a better chance at the match... any help will b appreciated bc ive heard diff things abt externship tht theyr more useful if u want to go in specialty residencies and ur likely to wander on your own during externship... ive met dr martinez at greater new york dental meeting she really seemed like a nice person... but whenever i try to contact her via email i dont get any replies i think she doesnt get the emails... i was finally able to reach her via dr robert margolin... his email id seemed to work... do u hav her correct email tht i could use to contact her directly... thank you so much for your help...