West west coast y'all...and big cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I go to a bottom to mid tier university program ---- IM intern

I really want to pursue my fellowship in a big city on the west coast (SD, SF, Seattle, Portland or Sacramento). Or I could do Boston or NYC.

What can I do to make myself a competitive fellow? How competitive are these cities to land a fellowship? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. don't say things like "west west coast y'all" in a hospital setting

2. get involved in a research project and try to submit it to ATS prior to interviews. That way, you can have a manuscript to talk about when on the interview trail. academic oriented fellowships often like someone who has their hands in a research project

3. do very well in residency. if you can do a chief year, you pretty much get interviews where you want (for the most part).

4. get strong letters from professors who (ideally) have a national reputation

The cities that you listed vary in terms of how competitive their fellowship programs are in pulmonary/critical care. UW, for example, is more difficult to match into compared to UCSD.

Many of us have been over this with you ad nauseum and you're not at some "no name" university program. You have TWO years to get involved in research and get known by your pulm/cc staff. Their recommendations more than anything else will find you a fellow ship.

1. don't say things like "west west coast y'all" in a hospital setting

2. get involved in a research project and try to submit it to ATS prior to interviews. That way, you can have a manuscript to talk about when on the interview trail. academic oriented fellowships often like someone who has their hands in a research project

3. do very well in residency. if you can do a chief year, you pretty much get interviews where you want (for the most part).

4. get strong letters from professors who (ideally) have a national reputation

The cities that you listed vary in terms of how competitive their fellowship programs are in pulmonary/critical care. UW, for example, is more difficult to match into compared to UCSD.

1. give me a break...in a hospital setting? This is a message board. Relax.

2. I am on it! Thanks for the advice! I have slowly been exposed to all the research at my institution...and am taking advantage of it.

3. I really do not want to do a chief year!

4. There are not many nationally known professors/clinicians at my institution.

Why is UW more competitive than UCSD?