West Coast University for a BSN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFlightMike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you have heard of West Coast University. The program starts classes every 10 weeks and offers GE's for students to take, so a student that just graduated from high school can immediately work towards a BSN. I was fairly skeptical at how overqualified I was for their program. The california state BSN programs require a fairly competitive TEAS score alongside a GPA of around 3.9. My GPA is at a 3.7, at the time of this post I also have completed microbiology and anatomy and received an A in both. My only remaining pre requisites that most nursing schools require are psychology and physiology. My question is why is it so easy to get into WCU? Is it actually a good school? Do they do an adequate job preparing you to become a RN, and do their graduates have trouble finding jobs upon graduating?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve never in my life heard of West Coast University. Within one minute of reading your post, I figured out the answer to at least one of your questions. The reason why it is easy to get into is because their degree costs at least $145,000 (!), and $127,000 (!) for their LVN to BSN. That weeds out a lot of people that give any thought to their future ability to make a living. Sure, it’s California, and nurses there make soooo much money.... yada yada yada. If you buy into that, then sure, it sounds like a good deal.

The good boy possible way that WCU is a good value is if RNs indeed make the kind of money that I’ve heard they do. If new grads are pulling $95,000, then sure, $145,000 might sound reasonable. That’s before cost of living, though. But that’s a different post altogether. So you have your answer... it’s easy to get in because most folks will use it as a last resort.