BOTH Welp, Just took NBME 16 and got Murdered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychMDhopefully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was my first NBME, I scored a 180 which equals to a 16o step 1 score. Overall got 54% correct. A lot of those question I feel like I guessed on. I haven't gone over pharm or micro really, I am gonna try my damndest to cover all of sketchy micro this week, and sketchy pharm. If anyone has a good resource for pharm please let me know! All those damn random drug names just don't stick.

I have a couple of questions, what percentage correct on the NBMEs or Step 1 equals passing??? People have told me around 70% which is a lot but not impossible.

Is form 16 difficult compared to the others?

Lastly when people here say they got, for example, 200 on form 17 are they talking about the NBME 3 digit score, or the Step 1 score the NBME 3 digit is suppose to correlate to?

Someone please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

How far along in studying are you? How much material have you covered in your dedicated time? How long have you been in dedicated? When is your test? Was this your first nbme?

Yes, the three-number score people report is the USMLE score converted from the NBME number as according to their chart.

Reactions: 1 user
It was my first NBME, I scored a 180 which equals to a 16o step 1 score. Overall got 54% correct. A lot of those question I feel like I guessed on. I haven't gone over pharm or micro really, I am gonna try my damndest to cover all of sketchy micro this week, and sketchy pharm. If anyone has a good resource for pharm please let me know! All those damn random drug names just don't stick.

I have a couple of questions, what percentage correct on the NBMEs or Step 1 equals passing??? People have told me around 70% which is a lot but not impossible.

Lastly when people here say they got, for example, 200 on form 17 are they talking about the NBME 3 digit score, or the Step 1 score the NBME 3 digit is suppose to correlate to?

Someone please help me.
It depends... I got 70% on 13 and the score was 188... and 69% on 15, and the score was 190...

When people say they got 200, they are talking about the real score--not the CBSSA.

It seems as if you haven't done a lot of studying yet. Don't sweat it. Take another NBME after a solid month of reviewing the material and I'm sure you'll improve drastically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above. It sounds like you just need to spend several weeks to review your materials.

Sketchy pharm should be the foundation. And then for anything that sketchy does not cover, I used picmonic (such as a list of CYP450 inducers and inhibitors). For drugs that sketchy and picmonic do not cover (such as danazol), I drew some pictures on a piece of paper, spent some 10-15 minutes, and literally tried to come up with some silly stories to remember them.

Someone please help me.

I personally felt that NBME 16 was more difficult than 15.

Reactions: 1 user
I have done 7 u world blocks so far and my average is 45%, when the average for everyone else is 60 %. How did you guys get your uworld scores up?

I have done 7 u world blocks so far and my average is 45%, when the average for everyone else is 60 %. How did you guys get your uworld scores up?

Everyone learns differently. However I think the biggest mistake that students make when going through UWORLD is to not read the answers actively. In other words, instead of simply skimming the answer, I would spend 5-10 minutes on each answer. I would ensure that I learned as much as possible from each answer before moving on. That is the way to get your scores up.

Reactions: 1 users

This is my second pass through uworld (after Kaplan qbank, first proper pass through first aid and a good chunk of first aid Rx), my average overall is 87% after 52 blocks (>2100 questions) for me what helped was actually just focusing on the material in first aid (fresh out of basic med, I read all the big texts) and after doing the Kaplan qbank, subject assessment and simulated exams, I also learned how to approach questions that would usually intimidate me. My first pass through uworld had an average of 67%. And like ActinicKeratosis said, uworld is a learning tool as well, it's frustrating to get so many questions wrong but still focus on getting as much as you can from the explanations, the score that really matters in the end ain't uworld lol

Everyone learns differently. However I think the biggest mistake that students make when going through UWORLD is to not read the answers actively. In other words, instead of simply skimming the answer, I would spend 5-10 minutes on each answer. I would ensure that I learned as much as possible from each answer before moving on. That is the way to get your scores up.

5-10 mins? More like 20-30 mins for me if if was something I never learned before and annotated it into first aid along with the other wrong answers

5-10 mins? More like 20-30 mins for me if if was something I never learned before and annotated it into first aid along with the other wrong answers

I agree with you. Certain questions took me much longer to go through than others. If it was already something I knew I would breeze through it. On the more complicated answers where they present whole tables or biochemical pathways to learn I would spend much more time.

Okay so Ive completed 1o blocks of uworld so far about 400 questions, average is still around 46%. I took NBME 16 without going over pharm,micro, or starting uworld which was stupid on my part. Anywho I'm finding Uworld the best learning resource, and Im seeing slight increase is my block performance and getting better at answering the question. Im kinda at a crossroads though, I can't decide if I want to go ahead a focus on U world (81% left), or if I should spend some time rereading FA and Pathoma. Im at 46% and would like to be near 52% percent at least when it is all said and done. Ive been thinking about structuring my day like this

Morning 3-4 hours reviewing pathology/physiology of a trouble area
Rest of day- do 3-4 uworld blocks and annotate

or I could just do as many uworld blocks as possible and really try to understand the answers.

Which approach would you guys take? I can push my test back so time isn't really an issue.

You need to finish UWORLD at least once. If time isn't an issue, I would review everything. Have you gone through First Aid cover to cover and really tried to learn all the material?