Wellmont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Yiot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that its a fairly new DO ortho program so there is not much information on it yet since it hasnt graduated its first class of orthopods but I was wondering if anyone had any information on it? I have been to kingsport TN and love it there, its done at a trauma 1 center and seems like a great program from what I have read online. I have done a lot of searching both in the ortho forumn and in the clinical rotations for DO students but havent found anything. Has anyone rotated there or know anything about the program? it says on the aoa opportunities website that they take third years to rotate how would you get in touch with the program and show interest properly? Im a soon to be OMS2 and was wondering.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody ha? Meh i figured i would try. I searched over at orthogate and found nothing there either:oops::oops:

You are probably a little too early in the game to get involved with programs directly, unless of course it's a home program or in your home town (ie. summer vacation).

Needless to say, you can contact the program coordinator stating that you are a MS-2 who is interested in the ortho program at XXXX. Then say something like I was hopeing to find out some more information about the program and get in contact with some of the residents.

Thus you get resident emails, you can email them..ask about the program, ect...get involved in research. Then in your MS-2 year when you have a schedule for 3-4th year..email the coordinator and setup a rotation.

Hope this helps. As a MS1, get involved in research over summer. Then focus on boards MS2.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are probably a little too early in the game to get involved with programs directly, unless of course it's a home program or in your home town (ie. summer vacation).

Needless to say, you can contact the program coordinator stating that you are a MS-2 who is interested in the ortho program at XXXX. Then say something like I was hopeing to find out some more information about the program and get in contact with some of the residents.

Thus you get resident emails, you can email them..ask about the program, ect...get involved in research. Then in your MS-2 year when you have a schedule for 3-4th year..email the coordinator and setup a rotation.

Hope this helps. As a MS1, get involved in research over summer. Then focus on boards MS2.

Thanks!!

I will ask for those things for sure.

you brought up the research aspect. i do have off this summer and will be in erie and do have time for research however, i heard that it is not something that PD's necessarily care about in the DO world. I heard it was audition>>>>>>>>boards and LOR's in that order and those were the most important things. I know that research is HUGE in the MD world but as a DO i dont think i will be applying that route (although I know I will definitly be taking the USMLE, thats for sure in case i happen to fall in love with something else on rotations which going MD would be preffered, but i dont really see this happening) i do plan on shadowing a surgeon this summer since its mandatory for our H&P class and I will be doing it with an orthopod. lemme know if you think differently that was the only reason why i wasnt going to do research, plus i dont like it much but if it does make a difference i will ofcourse do some (there are many opportunities at my school)

purely anecdotal...I was asked if I had any done research at two of my interviews for DO ortho; by a PD at one place and a chief at another place. on my ERAS I left that section blank since it only wanted publications (as to my understanding) and I have not been published yet. out of 8 total interviews only 2 asked me.

If you have a chance to work with a PD or at a program this summer leading to a solid letter of rec or future phone call, or get your name and face familiar with your home program, that may be more important than research. You could probably do both during the summer.

purely anecdotal...I was asked if I had any done research at two of my interviews for DO ortho; by a PD at one place and a chief at another place. on my ERAS I left that section blank since it only wanted publications (as to my understanding) and I have not been published yet. out of 8 total interviews only 2 asked me.

If you have a chance to work with a PD or at a program this summer leading to a solid letter of rec or future phone call, or get your name and face familiar with your home program, that may be more important than research. You could probably do both during the summer.

hmm i see. i do have time so i will look into it. ( i have one week left of class, might as well wait till after im done to poke around). As for shadowing someone from my home program I asked the PD, he off handedly said no by suggesting i do some other program involved with the school which work but you get to shadow various physicians in specialties where you dont get to choose a particular specialty and its 7 weeks long 40 hours a week, You get paid but i did not want to do that. i was kind of dissapointed so i was going to shadow just any ortho doc in town whether MD or DO. I know its not really productive but He didnt seem to keen on letting me shadow for some reason.

well PA has 5 programs (though I hear york memorial program is gonna be shutdown in 2 years) you can try any of the others.

The problem is summer and fall months are packed with 4th year students auditioning. Possible solution is the new program at Wellspan in York, PA. it will not be taking any new residents next cycle (because they are filled) so there wont be as many, if any, students there; great time for you to go there. The program director, Dr. Dipasquale, is big on teaching and seems like a nice guy. They also have research opportunities there. It is a level 1 trauma center with ortho fellowships there too.

well PA has 5 programs (though I hear york memorial program is gonna be shutdown in 2 years) you can try any of the others.

The problem is summer and fall months are packed with 4th year students auditioning. Possible solution is the new program at Wellspan in York, PA. it will not be taking any new residents next cycle (because they are filled) so there wont be as many, if any, students there; great time for you to go there. The program director, Dr. Dipasquale, is big on teaching and seems like a nice guy. They also have research opportunities there. It is a level 1 trauma center with ortho fellowships there too.

I didnt see wellspan listed on AOA opportunities website but i guess thats cause its new like you said. that sucks if york memorial gets shut down. im from NJ so my home is pretty close to there. thanks so much. i will definitly be trying to get in touch with them.

Opportunities page

Program website: http://www.yorkhospital.edu/default.aspx?program=30

NJ now has 3 programs: 2 in South Jersey and 1 in North Jersey

dang. my bad i kinda feel like a jerk that i missed that

i know about the programs in NJ but I'm married and will not be leaving the area due to my spouse having a job here. I could stay with some family for a little bit over the summer though ( I go to LECOM if you didn't already figure that out)thanks so much again.

what do you think is the best way to contact these programs? email the PD and ask for resident emails to shadow and then get into research opportunities that way?

never e-mail the PD; always e-mail or call the program secretary...she will direct you to either the PD or a resident; calling is always better and faster than e-mail.

PM me if you have any questions. I rotated through 5 ortho programs and 1 gen surg mostly in the northeast; interviewed at 6 ortho and 3 gen surg.

Last edited: