Well..should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would volunteer in a youth group that's purpose is to specifically advocate against underage drinking or driving while intoxicated. Can really show how your experience has changed you for the better..

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback everyone. Sorry for the late reply. This forum has helped me out mentally and physically. I have already started my evaluations before I've even met my probation officer. I'm doing everything I can to show 1. I'm not an alcoholic 2. I'm honestly sorry for what I done. I will be sure to inform everyone how I'm doing.

On a more positive note, what school would you choose out of these? Also, if you could give me an explanation of why you recommend that school (please be helpful, not because the mascot is a pig, bobcat, etc) it would be appreciated!

Texas State
Texas A&M
University of Texas
University of Arkansas

University of Texas at Austin hands down. As far as the explanation goes you need to do your own research and look it up for yourself. HINT: look at research expenditures, endowment and faculty.

University of Texas at Austin hands down. As far as the explanation goes you need to do your own research and look it up for yourself. HINT: look at research expenditures, endowment and faculty.

Go to UT Austin if you like hordes of asian and indian people.
Go to A&M if you like hill billys who drive huge freaking trucks and hate fuel efficiency.
Go to Texas State if you want to be cow boy.
Go to university of Arkansas if you want to live in Arkansas (enough said).

Members don't see this ad :)
You never drove under the influence and never got caught? I'm not saying I'm right, but everyone has done it. PLUS the officer arrested me when I should have NEVER been arrested. But thanks for your input, it was greatly appreciated since you answered ALL my questions. I know it was dumb and I can only apologize.

This clearly shows that you are not ready to move past this incident as you are still of the belief that it is someone else's fault.

Chances are the arresting officer followed agency and state laws regarding such an offense thus resulting in a "good" arrest which was confirmed by the ruling of the court. On top of that you clearly failed to perform due diligence as pleading not guilty and attempting to beat a DWI at the age of 18 is a POOR idea, you will not win. As a minor, ANY detectable alcohol will suffice for a DWI charge. You realize one beer, one shot, one drink will provide grounds for such a charge. Whoever advised your course of legal action failed you in a big way. Ultimately this is irrelevant.

Before you "move on" you need to acknowledge your role and accept responsibility. Perhaps you are not ready for such a serious commitment. While you have demonstrated some academic ability, your ability to function as an adult in the real world is in question.

Well, congratulations to you. I wish everyone would be like you. In my opinion, which I'm entitled too, I believe everyone at one point in time has drove under the influence of either alcohol, drugs, or narcotics of some sort. It's definitely not right, but no one is PERFECT.

You made a mistake. Don't rationalize it by saying everyone else has done it, because honestly, most people have not driven under the influence. On the east coast, especially in city culture, the thought of driving under the influence just is not tolerated. Your unwillingness to take this criticism constructively and responses imply you have not matured from this experience and that you feel that in some way you were wronged. I could be wrong too, but you came to this board admitting a mistake that many people judge harshly, don't be surprised that you will be criticized.

This is idiotic

You think that an interviewer couldn't ask her a question like that? If she answers like she did in this thread, there's no way she's getting in to medical school. "But everyone does it!" Yeah. Right.

You think that an interviewer couldn't ask her a question like that? If she answers like she did in this thread, there's no way she's getting in to medical school. "But everyone does it!" Yeah. Right.

This is true though. Of course that can be brought up, and IF she answers like she's done here...no dice

You can't use your age to excuse stupid things. I'm 17 and a first year in medical school. To go to medical school, you need to take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming everyone else.

And yet everything you've written here blames other people. I'm not saying it's not okay to be angry and vent. That's perfectly normal and natural. However, there comes a time where you need to accept that YOU got drunk, that YOU decided to drive home drunk. What if you had hit someone? What do you tell their crying mother and heartbroken father? That you didn't mean to, that everyone else does it? The only reason it seems like you're complaining is because you got caught.

But no one understand, you say. Dude, it's a DWI. I'm assuming there was a blood test of sorts involved? And a conviction? That says it all. No one cares why you got drunk and drove (unless it was an emergency). That's stupidity and carelessness and selfishness at their highest.

Doctors are not everyone. If you want to be a doctor, you can't be like everyone. You have patients' lives and well being in your hand. Not just life as in life or death, but quality of life as well. You have to make decisions that your peers don't. That's why we go through so much scrutiny, so much stress and learning.

While a couple years from now while applying you can surely use your DWI to show how you've grown and how you've never gotten in trouble since, but you'll have to do a LOT more maturity extracurriculars and things that require professionalism to counteract it.

Being a doctor means valuing human life. By drinking and driving, you turned yourself into a killer machine on the road and showed you don't really value human life. You say now you want to be a doctor. Is this the same doctor who would drive on a road with alcohol in their system and risk harming the people she'd swear to protect?

You seem very immature and don't seem to understand what personal responsibility is. You can't change the fact of what you did. You can try to show yourself as more mature and improved, but judging by the "I can do no wrong and if I do it's okay I'm human just deal with it" attitude you have, you aren't expressing any capacity to change.

You can't use your age to excuse stupid things. I'm 17 and a first year in medical school. To go to medical school, you need to take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming everyone else.

And yet everything you've written here blames other people. I'm not saying it's not okay to be angry and vent. That's perfectly normal and natural. However, there comes a time where you need to accept that YOU got drunk, that YOU decided to drive home drunk. What if you had hit someone? What do you tell their crying mother and heartbroken father? That you didn't mean to, that everyone else does it? The only reason it seems like you're complaining is because you got caught.

But no one understand, you say. Dude, it's a DWI. I'm assuming there was a blood test of sorts involved? And a conviction? That says it all. No one cares why you got drunk and drove (unless it was an emergency). That's stupidity and carelessness and selfishness at their highest.

Doctors are not everyone. If you want to be a doctor, you can't be like everyone. You have patients' lives and well being in your hand. Not just life as in life or death, but quality of life as well. You have to make decisions that your peers don't. That's why we go through so much scrutiny, so much stress and learning.

While a couple years from now while applying you can surely use your DWI to show how you've grown and how you've never gotten in trouble since, but you'll have to do a LOT more maturity extracurriculars and things that require professionalism to counteract it.

Being a doctor means valuing human life. By drinking and driving, you turned yourself into a killer machine on the road and showed you don't really value human life. You say now you want to be a doctor. Is this the same doctor who would drive on a road with alcohol in their system and risk harming the people she'd swear to protect?

You seem very immature and don't seem to understand what personal responsibility is. You can't change the fact of what you did. You can try to show yourself as more mature and improved, but judging by the "I can do no wrong and if I do it's okay I'm human just deal with it" attitude you have, you aren't expressing any capacity to change.

Not defending her, but this is a logical fallacy. I get your point though.

Last edited: