Welcome to All....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in attending an International medical school? Maybe not? Either way, you're not alone.

In all discussions on this forum, let us keep in mind something of foremost importance: that no matter where we are from, or how we fulfill our dream, a spirit of professionalism and kindness among colleagues, or potential colleagues, is in order.

And it is in that spirit that I welcome all....

Members don't see this ad.

To whomever wants to answer:

Is it difficult to gain residency in your state of choice when attending a foreign/carribean medical school (Georgia or Florida)? My dilemma is that my grades are not that good: 2.4 sci, 3.0 undergrad, 2.8 chiropractic and I really want to become a doctor. Are AUC and Ross good schools to consider attending, or am I just wasting my time.

Thanks

GA

Cool forum! Gor. what year are you thinking of going to school in? I plan to a take a year out to take some bussiness courses and some review classes for anatomy, histology, stuff like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 3rd year Saba student. I'd say that you should try St.George's as your number 1 option, but with those grades....I doubt you'd get in. You should then apply to Saba, AUC and Ross and see where you get accepted. I've heard that you have to have a cumm gpa of 3.0 or better to get into Saba. Its a good school though. Almost everyone passes the USMLE step one from my school and EVERYONE gets residencies. I got a well-above average USMLE score and feel pretty competent. The island is very boring, but its only 20 months that you are there and it is a good studying environment. I have heard that AUC and ROss are pretty cut-throat. Some of the students on Saba are pretty competetive (trying to be #1), but most are pretty good to each other. 3rd and 4th years are spent in the US. I arranged my own 3rd year clinicals, but from what I hear the schools clinical sites are good. Hope this helps. Any questions, email me. Peace.

GA,
I agree with the last post. Try St Georges first, they have the best pre clinical facilities down there, as well as the best clinical situation in the States. Don't know much about the other schools. Stay away from Mexico, you have to do a year of 'civil service' unless you get into a 5th pathway program. They have many more students per class than 5th pathway spots available.

saba808

where are you doing your third and fourth years of school? you said you arranged your last two years, does that mean you were able to do them anywhere, or just where saba has affiliations? where are saba's affiliations in the us? sorry so many questions, but im very curious and interested.

thanks

GA

I was accepted to St. George's MD/MPH program starting this August. My concern isn't the lack of respect I may encounter from my close-minded, stubborn colleagues, the terrible heat, or the second rate education, (we all know that SGUSOM did better on the USMLE last year than 50% of their U.S. counterparts). My fear is not being able to realize my dream because of financial impossibilities. It's expensive.

Does anyone have any info on loan opportunities for international med students? I am not wealthy by any stretch, do I have to be to attend a foreign school? I don't mind paying for the rest of my life, I just want to know that the loan resources are available for me to do this. I have a flawless credit, but not much income. Anyone?

Dr J,
Don't let financial worries stop you from achieving your dreams. I know SGU is expensive because my brother is currently a third year student (he is now in brooklyn doing his clinicals). He took out 18 grand worth a stafford loans, and had the rest covered by the Teri loans (the interest rates are about 2% points higher than stafford). Don't worry about med education debt. I currently owe about $160000 in med loans and plan to start paying them off in 2 years (I'll still be a resident), after I extend the payment period from 10 years to 25 years. If you're paying 1000 a month for 25 years, That 1000 dollars is going to be worth less over time due to inflation. So get you medical education, become a doctor, live your dreams, and don't worry about debt!
Good luck

CBC
Thanks for your encouragement. My only worry is that there may not be enough loan options available to finance the ENTIRE cost of my medical education. Are there enough loans out there? I don't have much money to put towards med school up front, but I can certainly borrow. What do you think?

Congrats on the success of both you and your brother. I can't wait to be there!

I must be in over my head. What's a "5th pathway" option?

Georgia, I'm in Hawaii. School doesn't have rotations here, but I have family who are MDs. The school does let you arrange your own rotations, but this is nearly impossible for 3rd year unless you have connections already. The school has 3rd year sites all over the US. Most are in the Baltimore/Washington DC area or in NYC. Hope it helps.

Fifth Pathway was inaugurated in the 70s at the specific request of the AMA. It was at that time that,
  • 1. Greater numbers of US citizens found the need to go abroad for medical education and,
  • 2. There were certain and felt needs for more US primary care physicians.

It's inaguration was fueled by concern for

• 1. The US citizen-stuudents themselves
  • 2. The possibly substandard education they were receiving (in comparison to the US student)
  • 3. The possibility of the substandard care they would give (despite their passing through the ECFMG process) to US patients

In summation of the program itself, it is a replacement of the ECFMG process, the process through which all Foriegn Medical Graduates must pass in order to be eligible for residency in the US, which itself is the only path to US practice (exception: the rare and legal event that you are a pre-emminently recognized expert in your specialty field, and someone in the US needs you for a while). But it is intended to go further than just replacing the ECFMG process: it is intended to access the level of preparedness of foreign medical graduates--assess any weaknesses of them, in particular--and bring them up to the level of a standard US graduate. It thus represents an excellent opportunity for those who qualify for it (usually qualify within narrow confines which vary from program to program), and find themselves in need of it.

Fifth Pathway has evolved some since its inception, but not much.

The above represents an overview. By keying "Fifth Pathway" into standard web search engines, further information can be obtained.

Yes, cost is certainly an issue. But there can sometimes be bigger costs later.

That is why I think the bigger issue is whether one is truly competent without Fifth Pathway, irrespective of any ECFMG passage, when coming from a school where they qualify to enter it. The underlying assumption in the Fifth Pathway Program is that entrants are not, and this is, at least frequently, with justification.

In the instance where one is actually not adequately prepared, irrespective of ECFMG passage, is not the cost simply deferred...and deferred to a time when it could possibly hurt far, far worse?

Of course I am aware of the perimeters for entrance to Fifth Pathway programs, and of course it is more than just a quality control program. I am trying to give broad info here, and say that, for US citizens intending to practice in the US and who qualify for Fifth Pathway entrance, which includes coming from a school in a nation with an Internship and Social Service requirement, Fifth Pathway is generally the much better option. Also that they will indeed be more equalized in their competency level than grads from a good many schools, despite any ECFMG passage. Evidence: I have never known of even one Fifth Pathway graduate who failed to gain a US residency, whereas literally thousands of M.D.s who have ECFMG certification are stuck working in the lab, and the like, or worse.

To Dr J
Yes the Stafford and Teri loans will cover the entire cost of school, of course, you need to be on a budget. Just go to their web site - sgu.edu I'm sure there's information on it, or call their office in Bayshore.

saba student.

I here it is alot less expensive to study in saba. I want to apply for entrance next year. May or september. Do you think I will have an easier time getting in? How is the student body? Is it very international? Are there minorities there (americans).? Just wondering I will have plenty of questions for you in the
future.
thanks.

------------------
There is more joy in giving then there is in recieving.

Here's the answers to your questions.........

Tuition is around $5000 per semester. Its quite a bit cheaper than the other schools.

I'd apply at least 10-12 months in advance. I think it easier to get in if you apply way in advance. I applied a little over a year in advance, and I had a mediocre gpa and no mcat. I hear its tougher now though.

Student body is about 90% american/ 10% canadian. Lots of these people (25% ?) are pretty recent immigrants to US or canada. I'd say the average age is 24-25 yo. There are 3-4 older students per class (in their late 30s, 40s or even higher in some cases).

Yes it is quite international, and there are all types of minorities. I'd say the distribution when I was there was 50% white/ the rest were black, middle eastern, asian.

Cool I plan on going overseas for a year. So i will apply for sept. 2001. ok thanks.

Dear student,

Before you make a choice as to which Medical School to attend, you might want to visit our site at WWW.imededucation.com for Direct admission into World Health Organization (W.H.O.)listed and fully accredited Medical Schools which participtate in the United States office of Guaranteed Student Loan Program for Health Profession Students.

Can get more information on imedicaleducation.com? Why is thier program 6 years long?

Oh yeah another thing how much does room and board cost is that included in the tution?
thanks.