Weird URM app? WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kolikotime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my background is a bit unusual which is why I posted this thread. I want to know if I should throw MD schools into my application strategy. I'm a Ghanaian American(immigrated to the US when I was 4) from the Northeast who is a career changer. I am 27 and grew up largely as a DACA/Undocumented student, but have in the past two years received permanent residence. I finished a one year DIY postbacc last May and rather than rush the process I took the summer months to grind out for the MCATs and get more clinical exposure, I'm sure I'll be ready to apply come May/June for both DO and MD schools.

GPA - 3.65 uGrad, 3.8 in PostBacc; 3.1 sGPA for AMCAS; 3. 7 sGPA for AACOMAS

The difference in my sGPA comes down to a disastrous Calculus class I took back in sophomore year that murdered my GPA, a class which I failed.

MCAT - 517

Work History - Out of college I launched into a fascinating career in the startup world. From 24 to 26 I worked at a well known AI startup that was doing some seriously cool stuff with medical pattern recognition in a non-technical role. I can't say more but I was involved in discussions of some seriously cool stuff at major hospitals and healthcare companies, all involving the applications of machine learning. Its this experience that got me brought into a medical career.

Clinical ECs - 250 hours of volunteering at hospitals; ER and Stroke Center
60 hours of shadowing three DO physicians; DO Anesthesiologist, two DO IM generalists.

Non Clinical ECs -Three years serving as treasurer of college's Model Congress
On/off Habitat for Humanity member in College(65 hours)
Board member of my local church

So I guess my question is should I stick with my strategy of largely applying to DO schools? My postbacc advisors have advised me that I could be the recipient of some pretty large scholarships at Osteopathic schools if I go down that route, and I have no issues with pursuing a primary medicine career. Or do you think I could have a legitimate shot at MD schools even with that low sGPA? Its just discouraging to see my sGPA below the tenth percentile of literally every school on MSAR.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Couple quick things: 1. You should definitely apply MD schools if you want to. Yeah you're gonna be below some 10th %iles but you've got some good reinvention in your GPA it looks like, plus the very strong MCAT. Coupled with good ECs and being URM you have a very good shot at interviews at very good programs. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if my program (Mt Sinai) had you in for an interview. Just be targeted in your list and you'll have a good cycle.
Forgot to mention #2. I don't think AACOMAS does grade replacement anymore so your GPA will be the same as AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Couple quick things: 1. You should definitely apply MD schools if you want to. Yeah you're gonna be below some 10th %iles but you've got some good reinvention in your GPA it looks like, plus the very strong MCAT. Coupled with good ECs and being URM you have a very good shot at interviews at very good programs. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if my program (Mt Sinai) had you in for an interview. Just be targeted in your list and you'll have a good cycle.
Forgot to mention #2. I don't think AACOMAS does grade replacement anymore so your GPA will be the same as AMCAS.

Thanks for the message! That's exciting to know that a school like Mount Sinai would find me even competitive.

The difference between the AMCAS and the AACOMAS science GPA is because Math classes don't figure into science gpa calculation for AACOMAS. I never retook Calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence?

My home states are Connecticut/NY. It's kind of weird, because I did high school + college in Connecticut, worked in New York/back in New York now, and did the postbacc in Mass so not sure if I have residency in any of these states since I've bounced around between all three. I do have a NYS driver's license and have paid taxes there. If I had more clarity on home state, I wouldn't be averse to hitting up all the SUNYs.

If you can claim NY residency I suggest all these schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Rochester
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Miami
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse

If you can claim NY residency I suggest all these schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Rochester
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Miami
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse

Thanks for the list Faha! I would never have imagined I could be competitive for half of the schools on that list. Mindblowing honestly,

So my background is a bit unusual which is why I posted this thread. I want to know if I should throw MD schools into my application strategy. I'm a Ghanaian American(immigrated to the US when I was 4) from the Northeast who is a career changer. I am 27 and grew up largely as a DACA/Undocumented student, but have in the past two years received permanent residence. I finished a one year DIY postbacc last May and rather than rush the process I took the summer months to grind out for the MCATs and get more clinical exposure, I'm sure I'll be ready to apply come May/June for both DO and MD schools.

GPA - 3.65 uGrad, 3.8 in PostBacc; 3.1 sGPA for AMCAS; 3. 7 sGPA for AACOMAS

The difference in my sGPA comes down to a disastrous Calculus class I took back in sophomore year that murdered my GPA, a class which I failed.

MCAT - 517

Work History - Out of college I launched into a fascinating career in the startup world. From 24 to 26 I worked at a well known AI startup that was doing some seriously cool stuff with medical pattern recognition in a non-technical role. I can't say more but I was involved in discussions of some seriously cool stuff at major hospitals and healthcare companies, all involving the applications of machine learning. Its this experience that got me brought into a medical career.

Clinical ECs - 250 hours of volunteering at hospitals; ER and Stroke Center
60 hours of shadowing three DO physicians; DO Anesthesiologist, two DO IM generalists.

Non Clinical ECs -Three years serving as treasurer of college's Model Congress
On/off Habitat for Humanity member in College(65 hours)
Board member of my local church

So I guess my question is should I stick with my strategy of largely applying to DO schools? My postbacc advisors have advised me that I could be the recipient of some pretty large scholarships at Osteopathic schools if I go down that route, and I have no issues with pursuing a primary medicine career. Or do you think I could have a legitimate shot at MD schools even with that low sGPA? Its just discouraging to see my sGPA below the tenth percentile of literally every school on MSAR.
I suggest these:
Your state schools
BU
Hofstra
The HBCs
Dartmouth
Albany
NYMC
Tufts
The Philly Triplets
Wake
EVMS
U Miami
Tulane
Rosy F
Case
Pitt
Mayo
Duke
Any DO school, except the three I dislike (do a search)

You've done cool things and you've reinvented yourself academically and did great on the MCAT. Save up your coins and apply to A LOT of MD schools. My gut says your sort of nontraditional application would actually be better received by a Sinai type school than a SUNY.

I often feel like lower tier schools are more interested in cookie cutter applicants... while higher tier schools love people who are a little "weird" because that weirdness can translate into leadership potential. And you have the academics to back it up.

But absolutely apply to MD schools, apply to every school in Manhattan if you can afford it. Honestly if you can afford it, just throw your app to a bunch of top schools as well as a few safeties (HBCUs, SUNYs). I wouldn't be surprised if a few top schools were interested.

Be ready to explain why your GPA was so low though!

Also - was your postbac at a CC?

Be ready to explain why your GPA was so low though!

Also - was your postbac at a CC?

Thanks for the advice! And no, I did my postbacc at a university in Mass. I would have gone the CC route as its cheaper but I was advised its a no go for most med schools. From how you describe things though, it seems like I should just go hardcore and apply to 40+ med schools and see what eventually lands.

Last edited: